The Newest Captain Of Crush #3

Sybersnott

Thanks everyone. Thanks to John Hicks for serving as a witness. The close was easy, as I predicted it to be. Now on to the #3.5.

Now on to the #3.5.

... which at the rate Rex is going, will be sometime next week! :bow

Hi Rex, good job!

I read on IM that you study law, mate. Cool.

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Articles/2010/Mar/Rex_Hubbard_Certifies_on_the_No._3_Captains_of_Crush_Gripper.html

Of course the more I think about it the more apparent it becomes that it's not really such a big deal. Couldn't anyone with really strong hands, a strong competitive spirit, and a systematic approach to training eventually certify with this gripper? :tongue

Congratulations Rex !!!

I was reading that you're also a law student - that takes a lot of smarts - keep at it!

I counted 199 guys certified on the #3 now, unfortunately I'll only be ready by summer to do this - so chances are someone else would reach the #200 spot.

Will stay determined to keep progressing and accomplish the same hopefully soon.

Edited by DannyGrip

Congratulations Rex !!!

I was reading that you're also a law student - that takes a lot of smarts - keep at it!

I counted 199 guys certified on the #3 now, unfortunately I'll only be ready by summer to do this - so chances are someone else would reach the #200 spot.

Will stay determined to keep progressing and accomplish the same hopefully soon.

Have you ever closed a #3 even MMS yet Danny?

I should have made it clearer, I am not a student yet, I will likely be starting in August.

Thanks again everyone.

Edited by The Natural

Congrats Rex.

Did you try John's Blob?

John didn't bring it over, but I mentioned it to him and said you thought it was a tough one. He said that it was on loan to you for a while.

Speaking of blobs, I need to start lifting one more than once a month.

Congrats Rex :rock

Congratulations Rex !!!

My bests so far have been:

22 Reps on the #2.

9-10 Reps on the #2.5.

Can CCS the #2.5 no problem.

My MMS close on the #3 is almost shut, would say about a tiny bit away.

I been making steady gains, if I keep this up I believe a #3 CCS is possible.

Only been working on Reps on Grippers recently - no other methods/training for grip.

It's about time Rex! :whistel

Congratulations Rex !!!

22 Reps on the #2.

9-10 Reps on the #2.5.

Only been working on Reps on Grippers recently - no other methods/training for grip.

Depending on hand size the jump from where your at now to solidly CCSing a decent #3 can be quite a challenge due to many factors. It can take years. I've been closing #3's MMS for about 3.5yrs and I'm still inconsistent enough with the CCS set that I dont bother to try the cert. Have I closed bigger grippers than a #3, sure I've closed SE's and Easy #4's MMS. I've even TNS'ed just below avg BBE's that would be harder than the typical or even tough #3 to cert with. But that was with a narrower spread which makes a huge difference for my hand size. Rex has been closing #3's for at least a couple years himself and has hands that can cover a piece of notebook paper. CCS for him is a more natural width than MMS for sure. I know because he trained with me for over a year here.

I'm not saying you cant do it in the time frame you claim. but I think you may not fully appreciate the difference between MMSing the #3 and CCSing a new unseasoned likely 3"+ spread #3.

-Aaron

It's about time Rex! whistling.gif

Congratulations Rex !!!

22 Reps on the #2.

9-10 Reps on the #2.5.

Depending on hand size the jump from where your at now to solidly CCSing a decent #3 can be quite a challenge due to many factors. It can take years. I've been closing #3's MMS for about 3.5yrs and I'm still inconsistent enough with the CCS set that I dont bother to try the cert. Have I closed bigger grippers than a #3, sure I've closed SE's and Easy #4's MMS. I've even TNS'ed just below avg BBE's that would be harder than the typical or even tough #3 to cert with. But that was with a narrower spread which makes a huge difference for my hand size. Rex has been closing #3's for at least a couple years himself and has hands that can cover a piece of notebook paper. CCS for him is a more natural width than MMS for sure. I know because he trained with me for over a year here.

I'm not saying you cant do it in the time frame you claim. but I think you may not fully appreciate the difference between MMSing the #3 and CCSing a new unseasoned likely 3"+ spread #3.

-Aaron

Aaron: Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I actually own two #3's now - one at 2 7/8" spread and one at 3" spread.

The 3" spread #3 feels like a beast and the difference between MMS'in a 2 7/8th #3 to CCS'in the 3' #3 is HUGE just like you've described.

I don't understand why CCS has been made the standard for a Full Rep in certifying as I can vouch that naturally for my pinky to wrap around the handle for a "Full Rep" - the distance is right around 1 1/2" from starts, so if anything they should have made a certification card that was about 1" and that would have to slide in prior to the close, that would be more reasonable and would still constitute a person who can handle a proper close on a #3.

It might take years to make the difference from MMS to CCS, but there's no hurry - I got the grippers to get stronger on them and to enjoy training on them (hobby), so if I don't certify soon it will be okay and when I do - It'll just be very rewarding.

Thanks for the insight on this matter.

It's about time Rex! whistling.gif

Congratulations Rex !!!

22 Reps on the #2.

9-10 Reps on the #2.5.

-Aaron

Aaron: Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I actually own two #3's now - one at 2 7/8" spread and one at 3" spread.

The 3" spread #3 feels like a beast and the difference between MMS'in a 2 7/8th #3 to CCS'in the 3' #3 is HUGE just like you've described.

I don't understand why CCS has been made the standard for a Full Rep in certifying as I can vouch that naturally for my pinky to wrap around the handle for a "Full Rep" - the distance is right around 1 1/2" from starts, so if anything they should have made a certification card that was about 1" and that would have to slide in prior to the close, that would be more reasonable and would still constitute a person who can handle a proper close on a #3.

It might take years to make the difference from MMS to CCS, but there's no hurry - I got the grippers to get stronger on them and to enjoy training on them (hobby), so if I don't certify soon it will be okay and when I do - It'll just be very rewarding.

Thanks for the insight on this matter.

That's the right attitude to attack this with and you will get there if you stick with it. As far as why CCS is used for the cert, that's been covered in great detail on the board here. but to summarize I will say that It was Mr. Strossen's decision, and from what I understand he made it against the advice of top gripsters when he was trying to make that decision to change it. The original cert requirements were more like a parallel set but I believe people were taking advantage and deep setting even further. It has also been said that closing with 2 hands and holding shut with one hand occurred.

Good luck,

- Aaron