Preparation For Future Bending

petersante

I am relatively new to grip work (4-5months). I plan on starting to bend after I reach some other strength goals that I am focusing on at the moment (deadlifts, one arm chins, front levers, full range hspu, weighted pistols). These goals could take a while, so I may start sooner depending on how everything goes. I am currently doing some specialized grip work. Pinching with a 2x4 block, levering a 4' dowel with ankle weights taped to the end (front and back levers), rolling thick handle rows/pull ups, eagle loop chins and single finger lifts and the occasional heavy (for me) wrist curls. I was wondering if this is good to prepare my hands and wrists for my bending in the future? Is there anything I should add or subtract from the routine? I own IM grippers, but I'm not really using them, should I be?

I already posted this on the new to bending thread, but I figured I might get a quicker response starting a new thread. Sorry double posting is probably obnoxious. Thanks in advance for the advise.

Its really hard to tell what will cross over to bending. The muscles you work while bending are mainly increased by bending. The other part of bending is pain tollerance and that is also something you need to bend to get used to. That only comes into play with thin wraps.

There are different styles of bending also. So if your wrists are really strong from sledge work, reverse bending may be easier for you. But there is also Double Overhand Bending and Double Underhanding. And a couple really strict styles. Then you have braced bending. And braced bending is anything over 7" long that you basically brace against your body to assist in the bend.

So there are alot of different types of bending styles and each one has a different type of strength and or pain tollerance. Watch some video's on You tube and start out with really easy pcs so you can try the different styles and find what you like and what you are better at. FBBC is a great place to find a beginners bending bag FBBC Link The reason i like that beginners bag over Iron Minds is John's pcs have smoother edges, and alot more steps for progression.

I hope atleast part of this helped you.

Good Luck, have fun and be safe

Its really hard to tell what will cross over to bending. The muscles you work while bending are mainly increased by bending. The other part of bending is pain tollerance and that is also something you need to bend to get used to. That only comes into play with thin wraps.

There are different styles of bending also. So if your wrists are really strong from sledge work, reverse bending may be easier for you. But there is also Double Overhand Bending and Double Underhanding. And a couple really strict styles. Then you have braced bending. And braced bending is anything over 7" long that you basically brace against your body to assist in the bend.

So there are alot of different types of bending styles and each one has a different type of strength and or pain tollerance. Watch some video's on You tube and start out with really easy pcs so you can try the different styles and find what you like and what you are better at. FBBC is a great place to find a beginners bending bag FBBC Link The reason i like that beginners bag over Iron Minds is John's pcs have smoother edges, and alot more steps for progression.

I hope atleast part of this helped you.

Good Luck, have fun and be safe

It seems that DO and DU are pretty common from most of the videos that I have checked out. I will probably start with those styles. I like the way bending works on pain tolerance and also mental fortitude. I have much respect for benders. Thank you for your advice. I guess I will just continue to improve my hand/wrist strength until I begin bending.