• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bcpower66

• rico300zx

• cwdutton

• climber511

Nice Mike! Looking way more confident and strong now. Your box squat looks great, but maybe a bit too much forward rock to get back up again. Use the hips and glutes to power up. Oh, and don't drop your head.

Good job!

Brent C.

Guest Bullitt

Nice Mike! Looking way more confident and strong now. Your box squat looks great, but maybe a bit too much forward rock to get back up again. Use the hips and glutes to power up. Oh, and don't drop your head.

Good job!

Brent C.

Thanks Brent! The third rep of the oly squats felt better than any squat I've done. So good I blew the bar off my shoulders and got all discombobulated. :laugh It was sitting a bit high after that and I seemed to lean forward a bit too much coming out of the hole for the rest of the set. yea, when I looked at the vid i was yelling at myself to keep my head up on the box squats. Not sure why i keep looking down on those. Gotta trust nobody is going to pull the box out from under me I guess. :laugh

These definitely felt better. Almost got a flow going on my oly squat sets. Weight is feeling lighter. No strain on my back like i used to get. Seem to be getting decent depth (not sure I will ever get much lower). I'm very happy with the progress but have more work to do. Everyone has been a huge help. Not ready to start piling on the weight yet, but I'm getting there.

Looking MUCH better Mike! I can see your confidence grow on the box squats when you go heavier and you're exploding out of the box much better too! Great Job!

Guest Bullitt

Attaboy. Getting into some good weight now.

Thanks Brent. Didn't quite get the depth I wanted on 255, but think I got past parallel with 225. Given that I couldn't do that with 135 only a couple months ago, I am thrilled. All the help from everyone is much appreciated. Still not going to pile the weight on just yet, but I think I'm getting there. :D As Chris says, "slow & steady wins the race." So far it is working.

Just saw the vid. You get white lights from the Canadian/Italian judge on 255. With your speed on the way up, it is obvious that strength is not an issue and probably won't be for at least another 100 pounds. You just seem a little gun-shy on the way down as you approach the bottom. That will go away. Great pull too. 445 D.O.!! Monster grip.

Guest Bullitt

Just saw the vid. You get white lights from the Canadian/Italian judge on 255. With your speed on the way up, it is obvious that strength is not an issue and probably won't be for at least another 100 pounds. You just seem a little gun-shy on the way down as you approach the bottom. That will go away. Great pull too. 445 D.O.!! Monster grip.

Thanks Brent. I may be the only guy in the world where grip is not the limiting factor on DO deads! Pretty sure i could pull 500 DO. That is, if i could pull 500. :blush

Yea, the weight was surprisingly light. Once my confidence climbs, I think the squats will go a lot better. Still a little gun shy, especially as i get toward the bottom with the bigger weight. I assumed 255 was going to feel like a ton, but it was OK. 225 felt real good. Going to drop back now and work on form with 185. Once I get real comfortable there, I'll get my butt into a gym and try some in a power rack. Hopefully I'll have oly shoes by then. Those really helped me get depth.

Guest Bullitt

Awesome! Good form Mike! Squatting in the kitchen cause you have an understanding wife..........Priceless! lol

HAHA Yea, she's a keeper for sure!

Question for anyone out there: With all this squatting my knees are starting to feel it a bit. I have some arthritis in both knees from years of basketball and other sports, but the main problem I think is getting the knee joints really warm and keeping them warm. No matter how much i warm up, they just don't seem to be quite ready. Is there anything wrong with wearing a pair of light neoprine knee sleeves when i squat? I don't want to get any artificial aid from them, just keep the old joints warm. Again, not talking about wraps or anything. So, anything wrong with wearing neoprine, or should I just man up and quit worrying about it?

There's nothing wrong (at least to me) with wearing sleeves to keep your knees warm. I wear light fleece tights out in the garage this time of year - the warmth feels good on these old bones and the little bit of compression doesn't hurt either. But also up your mobility and stretching work some and back off the frequency for a couple weeks until your knees settle down - no use to flair them up to where you have to suffer a lot or even worse - have to quit for a while.

Wear them Mike. It will not hurt a thing. I wear mine form time to time when I squat.

Mike, give yourself a nice massage with ben-gay then put your sleeve on, makes it feel all warm and fuzzy. That's what I do with my wrist then I put a cut sock over it and I feel great. Try it

Rico

Guest Bullitt

Thanks everyone. I'll definitely pick up a pair next pay check.

By the way, I was looking back at my video of the first time i tried to squat deep again. What a difference! Thanks everyone for their help. Couldn't have made this kind of progress without your help! :mosher

Just for comic relief, here were my first attempts at real squats again. This was October 26.

Kitchen squats are looking great Mike. I discovered something the other night that might help you. If I move the bar down my back even an inch or so, it seems to take all the pressure off my knees and lower back. (as the bar moves down, it also moves back) It must center the weight (and center of gravity) more directly over my feet so I'm not pitching forward and fighting to push the weight back. Only problem is that I don't have near the flexibility in my wrists and shoulders to do this comfortably yet. Feels weird having the bar on a different part of my back, but I'm going to try and get used to it.

Notice in your Zerchers how upright your torso is and how effortless it looks for you to go deep? I think working toward keeping that form with back squats would be ideal.

Brent C.

Kitchen squats are looking great Mike. I discovered something the other night that might help you. If I move the bar down my back even an inch or so, it seems to take all the pressure off my knees and lower back. (as the bar moves down, it also moves back) It must center the weight (and center of gravity) more directly over my feet so I'm not pitching forward and fighting to push the weight back. Only problem is that I don't have near the flexibility in my wrists and shoulders to do this comfortably yet. Feels weird having the bar on a different part of my back, but I'm going to try and get used to it.

Notice in your Zerchers how upright your torso is and how effortless it looks for you to go deep? I think working toward keeping that form with back squats would be ideal.

Brent C.

I agree Brent, that is on the lines of what I do with the bar when its heavier weight.

Rico

Guest Bullitt

I'm in your boat right now Brent. That's about as low as i can go with my current shoulder flexibility. I am working on that with shoulder dislocations though, so hopefully I can get it a little lower over time. Not super low, like a power lifting squat, but like you said, even an inch would prolly help. Thanks guys!

Awesome work Mike, huge improvements in the past month. Could it be the haircut?? Movement is looking more natural and comfortable, particularly your set of 6 at the end.

Brent C.

Keep working on keeping your chin up, Mike. Your form is getting better, I'd like to see your form once you make this change.