My Gripmas Sledge Of 29.5 Lbs

jpmmkrahling

Can't wait to see what u drum up next. Will the top lifts be grandfathered in ?

Rico

I am already thinking about version 2! From a promoters point of view - having someone rip their arm off isn't all that appealing a thought. I think with some redesign work - this will be an even better event than it was.

I was very impressed with the setup, I wouldn't change a thing. If liked, the judging could be tightened up a bit on the bottom to prevent any possible bounce, or move the pad up a bit. The setup was very easy to use and I think Chris got the angle and rail width perfect.

This was a very fair event, everyone had the same exact angle. From a safety point of view the setup was great, I have seen to many close calls, where someone almost crushed their head in.

I will have much more to say about Gripmas later of course. I have expected Rex's comments since I made my device several months ago. It is my opinion that this is a legitimate record. But it is the Gripmas Carol Record on my device - nothing more and nothing less in my mind. And Rex - I am coming to believe the biggest negative in the sport of Grip may just be your negative comments - not the relative "danger" involved in any aspect of grip strength. If you are so into risk - perhaps you might serve your country in some meaningful aspect - I'm sure they can use the help - and you could certainly find the "risk" you seem to be seeking in the dangerous world of whatever sport it is you are doing now.

It has nothing to do with danger and safety. It has to do with making the pond bigger. What you are attempting to do is no different than someone creating a one of a kind 6.4' DL bar, hosting a meet with it, and claiming the biggest pull to be a world record deadlift. In some formal sense it may be a "world record", but it is a very low risk one that others do not have good opportunity to break, unless, of course, they travel to your basement and use your special bar. But that would not happen. The rest of the world would continue to use the 7' bar and ignore you. That is precisely what will happen in the hammer case.

-Rex

No, I think what will actually happen is that the useful feedback will be evaluated and sophistry will be weeded out on the way to a new grip contest standard.

Don't forget about strongman Rex. A successful strongman usually ends up having dozens of different FW implements, axles, BB's, DB's, logs, etc just so they can be prepared for an upcoming contest. Having the equipment certainly hasn't stopped a good number of guys from competing in strongman and doing very very well, and not just the John Connors and Brian Shaws. Having the equipment is nice, but so long as you know your personal standards are kept at or above the standards in competitions, you don't need it.

I see where you're coming from on this, but from a safety and promoter's standpoint, a device like Chris' is invaluable.

Oh boy, Rex will make this fun!

In my opinion, I think the biggest problem with the setup was bounce. There was no problem at gripmas- everyone got a fair shake- but to standardize the event I think it would be best if bounce was eliminated. I would also prefer wider safety rails, but that is just me and I think many disagree with me. As far as safety and ROM standardization, this device worked perfectly.

All in all, it was a fun event and I enjoyed it. I think it brought us closer to standardizing a sledge event. I will be using Chris's device or some version of it at my next comp.

As far as never being able to train on the device- It didn't really hurt me, Mike, Dave, or Brad. I will gladly pay to obtain my own version for competition use, and I would also sponsor other promoters to obtain a device if they needed.

If the bounce factor were to be eliminated, I think results would be very comparable to the freehand platform levers that have been done in Michigan.

Guest Bullitt

I've already talked to Chris and we will be using his new and improved setup (version 2 if completed) at the Capitol Grip Cup. Rex, you should definitely come up and give it a go bro. There will be some sledge deads in the medley at various weights. You, Goody, and Mike can figure out who really is the best at this stuff. Battle of the hammer titans, if you will. Maybe we could even entice Bob to shoot down and have a regular old battle royale (with cheese), although I know his comp will be within a couple weeks of ours. I liked it and i think with the modifications they are discussing, it will become the new standard.