Scrolling

ewokhugo

I'd like to start to do some scrolling.

Any ideas how to do it(techniques used etc) ... i have only 8 mm crs(5/16")i will eventually use it. whats the best size to work with? (3 feet?) more,less?

i will eventually do it barehand just to have fun.

Guest Bullitt

I'd like to start to do some scrolling.

Any ideas how to do it(techniques used etc) ... i have only 8 mm crs(5/16")i will eventually use it. whats the best size to work with? (3 feet?) more,less?

i will eventually do it barehand just to have fun.

I did the one below using 1/4" HRS (as I recall, it was about 2 1/2' long. Did it barehanded except for the tough last couple of bends. For those, I folded a piece of leather over double to give me a little padding. I think you would be more than able to handle something this size barehanded with your pain tolerance Hugo.

gallery_16387_1121_675007.jpg

Buy the Basic Scrolling DVD - it's the best resource around for scrolling.

Buy the Basic Scrolling DVD - it's the best resource around for scrolling.

That is a very good video and this should help as well. http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=13676 Erik Vining is one of the best steel scrollers around. If you do what he dose you should head yourself in the right direction. If you are going to start doing it a lot get yourself some HRS as well.

Mike,heheh thanks for your positive words,i didnt realize hrs would be much better for this(obvious reason.

"Climber":thanks for the idea about the ebook!

Nick: thanks man, this is exactly what i need to start.

When im scrolling 7" stuff i just rape the bar untill et get an scroll. Dont know for larger things since im only scrolling 7" stuff.

Darko, i knew u already did a couple of scrolling with 7" stock(i remembe ryour picture)u should try big bars to do some colling aswell.

By the way ..its necessary to use ALWAYS Hrs? Why not crs sometimes?

Hot rolled is the way to go. As for technique, it's probably the most "free" form of bending there is. You'll see guys using their feet, arms, thighs etc....and even pushing against the ground so it's really as much about the art as it is a set technique or anything like that.

Tim Iacabucci is a world class scroller if you look at his gallery.

You can see some of John Brookfield's online and his stuff is legendary. Erik Vining is another great scroller although I've not seen as much of his work as he doesn't seem to be on here very much anymore. Several other really great scrollers on this board too that I can't remember. Seems like Nick104 has put out some great stuff as well.

It'll give you a good workout as well.

All the best!

Tim

Nice stuff Nick! World class scrolling right there.

Tim

Thanks Tim for your advice.

I tried a piece of 5/16" x 3" (only had this stock) did it barehand(except the last 5 mn) , the final result was cool but it was total new for me.(had 2 straight lines in the end, i couldnt bend) will eventually try thys again with 3/8" hrs stock and see what happend.