Braced 8 Inch Spike Fbbc Bend

Skic

Nothing else would go tonight, so I hit this braced. I would love to try some braced bigger bars etc. What is a good starter to hit a cert or something on David Horne's list? Where do you pick up such bars? :whacked

Edited by Skic

Nice bend. I think the padding over your knee may have been so thick it was a disadvantage on such a short braced bend. I usually just take a leather wrap and fold it a couple of times, so it's maybe 2" wide? That seems to work the best. You should be able to get an easier kink out of it that way.

The stock for David Hornes list is stuff usually gound at a local steel supplier. It usually comes in 20' lengths. And then you just keep cutting each pc shorter and shorter. Generaly the 14" and under is 1/2" stock, 5/8" for the mid range list and the 3/4" for the long bar list. It is all A36 HRS i believe, thats the main way to get bars that thick. Remember the styles completely change as the bars get longer, but it also becomes a complete body workout. (along with bruises for some of us)

Nice bend. I think the padding over your knee may have been so thick it was a disadvantage on such a short braced bend. I usually just take a leather wrap and fold it a couple of times, so it's maybe 2" wide? That seems to work the best. You should be able to get an easier kink out of it that way.

The stock for David Hornes list is stuff usually gound at a local steel supplier. It usually comes in 20' lengths. And then you just keep cutting each pc shorter and shorter. Generaly the 14" and under is 1/2" stock, 5/8" for the mid range list and the 3/4" for the long bar list. It is all A36 HRS i believe, thats the main way to get bars that thick. Remember the styles completely change as the bars get longer, but it also becomes a complete body workout. (along with bruises for some of us)

My technique is lacking on braced and Horseshoes. They are great change of pace so I'm going to stick with it, thanks for the tip, my knee is wide so this left no room anywhere!

You don't see many others using my technique of choice (the one legged flamingo). :D

Excellent bend!

You don't see many others using my technique of choice (the one legged flamingo). :D

Excellent bend!

The bird is the word!

Superb bend! The 80d makes a cool trophy.

As for David's list, you should get some hot rolled round steel from a local steel supplier. For the spike range (8 to 14 inches) you'll need video proof for any bar that hits the 12.7 to 13.69mm window. Anything below that (12mm, 7/16, 3/8 etc) is honor system. For the 14.25 inch to 29.75 inch mid length catagory you need video proof for 5/8 and larger bars or actually I think it's 15.70 mm or larger. For 30 to 48 inches you need the ol' video for anything 18.7 mm and up or 3/4 inch basically. Almost any hot rolled you get will be A36 and is some fun stuff.

Obviously you have some great braced strength so you might get 1/2 inch by 14 inch first time out. It would be an incredible first bend but who knows.

Eric, I used your technique for a 3/4 inch bar a couple weeks ago. I'm not real good at pushing the longer bars over my thigh. 3 foot, maybe but 4 foot is just to much of a reach for me.

Tim

As for David's list, you should get some hot rolled round steel from a local steel supplier. For the spike range (8 to 14 inches) you'll need video proof for any bar that hits the 12.7 to 13.69mm window. Anything below that (12mm, 7/16, 3/8 etc) is honor system. For the 14.25 inch to 29.75 inch mid length catagory you need video proof for 5/8 and larger bars or actually I think it's 15.70 mm or larger. For 30 to 48 inches you need the ol' video for anything 18.7 mm and up or 3/4 inch basically. Almost any hot rolled you get will be A36 and is some fun stuff.

Obviously you have some great braced strength so you might get 1/2 inch by 14 inch first time out. It would be an incredible first bend but who knows.

Eric, I used your technique for a 3/4 inch bar a couple weeks ago. I'm not real good at pushing the longer bars over my thigh. 3 foot, maybe but 4 foot is just to much of a reach for me.

Tim

I saw some nice 1/2 inch bars where I get my bolts, but it said weldable HRS, is that a softer version? Nothing indicated A36

Tim

I saw some nice 1/2 inch bars where I get my bolts, but it said weldable HRS, is that a softer version? Nothing indicated A36

That should be A36. The only other option i have found was A588, and that is a high strength alloy because it includes copper.

Skic,

Sounds like Steelworks lingo to me. If it's those 3 foot sections at the box stores then probably no. Here's the deal with steelworks. 5/8 and 3/4 act like true A36 hot rolled. 1/2 inch and smaller are more like cold rolled even though they say hot rolled and when I've had some calibrated by Eric, it might as well have been cold rolled.

You'll be money WAY ahead if you go to an actual steel supplier and get some A36 hot rolled bars in 20 foot lengths and they will usually cut them for a small fee. It will usually be 1/3 the price or cheaper plus you'll be getting the real deal.

As Mike said there are other options but they are quite rare. You'll see some 1045 HRS occasionally as well but 99 percent of it is A36, at least in the sizes we bend.

Real hot rolled steel will have a carbon scale that flakes off wherever the bend is and it will be very noticable. Plus hot rolled will make a nice "U" shaped bend.

Later,

Tim

This is a sweet bend man! I've yet to figure out how you push your knee into the bar without losing your wraps! I have a 10x3/8 spike I kinked to 30deg over my thigh, but haven't figured out how to get moving again. I've hit it every possible way I can think of, but my wraps, despite being wrapped incredibly tight, just end up slipping before I can move the bar further.

This is a sweet bend man! I've yet to figure out how you push your knee into the bar without losing your wraps! I have a 10x3/8 spike I kinked to 30deg over my thigh, but haven't figured out how to get moving again. I've hit it every possible way I can think of, but my wraps, despite being wrapped incredibly tight, just end up slipping before I can move the bar further.

I grip the end of the bar with about half wrap and half bar pushing on the back of my hands. There is about 1 1/2 overlap from the wrap then I hit the Suzanne Sommers move. For what it's worth, wraps always stay in place, the shoe wrapping moves on me!