Bending Training

glengoodwin

hey ive seen a few videos of people doing this stuff and im wondering how i would start training for something like the red nail

Glen, congrats for picking one goal for start. If u said the "red nail" i pressume u are working hard to kill it so this is what i recommend:

get a good pair of wraps and learn the 3 most popular styles: DO,DU,reverse...most of the guys i know are capable to kill big steel using the DO style so go for it.(this style its tricky, u need to learn it ...practis eit very often will get u good results)...when i started i did DU but couldnt do nothing with the same piece of steel using Do style. I got the help of my bending brothers and read/watched and got personal advice ... the first bar i bend DO was one piece of 7" or 6" (cant remember) 1(4" hrs ...i was happy! not because the easy bar i destroyed but because i finished my "degree in DO bending" ..after this piece i knew in my heart i could use DO to kill "big"steel.

There are lots of videos at youtube ,u can learn from watching.

Some pieces to pick from the easier to the herdest:

1/4" 7" or 6" hrs

1/4" 7" crs

1/4"x6" crs

60 d nail

1/4"x6" g5 or 7 mm crs x 6"

1/4"x5.5" g5

5/16 " x 6" g2(g2 at 5/16" vary more than anything else ... there's one brand thats its average :"bl" i would say even easier than one g8 (500pounds).

1/4"x6" g8( the triangule brand and the "le" are the hardest i tried)

RED nail

(STEEL VARY A LOT so u will never know untill u calibrate it)

U can read Eric's advice here : http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=11889

Edited by ewokhugo

Great advice Hugo.

There is so much great info here Glen, read as much as you can and absorb it all.

so sledge levering is good for training the wrist for bending?? any suggestions on what weight sledge i start with??

so sledge levering is good for training the wrist for bending?? any suggestions on what weight sledge i start with??

Sledges are a good way to condition the wrists, yes. Most gents can start off with an 8lb hammer and do most exercises with that. It's not a bad thing if you have to start at a 6er. Sledges hurt, just like bending, but the rewards are great.

hmm im looking on fbbc site atm and they have something called "the slammer" looks like an adjustable sledge anyone tried one and tell me if its worth geting?

Zach's advice are one of the best u can get ; just to add one thing: i never did any sledge work till now , in this period i went from one 7" 1/4" hrs to one 7.5" 5/16" Edgin or one huge bastard. I tried the sledge the other day and i am weak with it LOL. Actually my kink its my strongest point; Matt("The writter")can kill some heavy bars and he's not great with the sledge aswell.

Edited by ewokhugo

hmm alright i guess il get the im bag of nails for starters and start with the easy ones lol

hmm alright i guess il get the im bag of nails for starters and start with the easy ones lol

I would recommend FBBC's beginners benders bag over the IM bag but it's up to you. You get more things to bend in total, more variety in what you can bend (has bolts and square, etc and not just round) it's cheaper, your helping a GB sponsor, and you can add in some extra CRS, HRS or whatever for not much extra (and for me it was no extra shipping). Also, if you spend over 50 dollars (not including shipping), John will probably throw in some wraps free (so this gives you an excuse to get a little extra steel :D).

Anyway the decision is up to you.

huh thx il probly do that :) wasnt geting right away n e way was an idea for a christmas gift

hey ive seen a few videos of people doing this stuff and im wondering how i would start training for something like the red nail

Next year! I be ready to start doing some bending.

At this moment,I am strenghten my wrist and hands.