Do You Swing Both Ways?

David_wigren

I'm a firm beiliver of training oposite and suportive muscle groups. With horseshoes especially when you get serious about horseshoe bending and get to the bigger shoes. I feel the force through my entire torso, back, lats, chest (I've even had a few ribs make some crackling noises when I really lay everything in to it)

I've now decided to work both ways to strengthening both sides and build a stronger foundation.

Is this something you other guys are doing aswell? Might be something to think about at least.

Depends what your goals are. If you just want to bend bigger and badder shoes, then do whatever you can to safely do that. If you want to mix it up and reverse it, then go for it. I'd be careful, though. I'd treat it like you were still green. These muscle groups aren't use to the heavy stress of bending, if they aren't normally used for bending. And I am sure there would be recovery issues, when training both ways. Training apposing muscle groups are always a good idea. They help to prevent injury, and they also allow the primary muscle being used to work at it's full potential, instead of taking up the slack of the opposing/stabilizing muscles. :D

Edited by Puller

Good point! :)

I think it will be worth it in the long run, if you bend a lot. I have tried it but it felt awkward at first, but so does every new thing. The dominant side/arm will always be a little stronger, but having a greater strength balance will only do good IMO.

But....it'll become a more expensive hobby :upsidedwn

David,

Are you talking about switching sides you post the shoe against? I read your post a couple of times and i think that may be what you mean? If it is, it makes sense to me. Especially considering you are killing some of the toughest shoes around. (thats why your ribs are cracking). I personally do not worry about that anymore after i put a nice dent in my upper thigh of my left leg, but i was trying to add more balance to my bending. I do switch up my reverse bending so i can stay balanced, thats about the closest i can relate to your question

Mike, that's exactly what I meant. Makes sense doing so with reverse. But it makes even more sense doing so with horseshoes since it strains a large part of your core.

I've tried it a couple of times before for fun and it does feel akward. But I think that I'll start doing it more seriously from now on.

I kink the shoes on my left side, and crush them over my right thigh! So I guess I am working both sides every time for the most part. Maybe not, I don't really know for sure

That probably would be a good idea but I only bend shoes on occasion so it's not a big deal with me. I do try to switch up reverse bending though. If you want to try something hard, try posting and ripping a phonebook the opposite of what you're used to.

Great thought.

Tim

Well today I feel the full effect of bending some shoes in the opposite direction. I've learned now that I'm weak as a kitten and everything HURTS! My leg hurts just posting the shoe on it and today I'm sore all over with big bruises on my left leg. Just shows how important it is.