Equation

tusrb41

Those of you that have closed a IM #3 and workout with the Rolling Thunder.

Was there a certain weight you could lift on the Rolling Thunder that will equate to a strong enough grip to close the #3?

For example:

Grip Guy number 1 lifted 225lbs on the RT, but could NOT close the #3.

Grip Guy 2 lifted 240lbs on the RT, and was successful at closing the #3.

Is there a correlation? Or are we talking 2 totally different grip strengths? Crushing strength vs. Open hand pinch type strength.

Any input would be great.

Those of you that have closed a IM #3 and workout with the Rolling Thunder.

Was there a certain weight you could lift on the Rolling Thunder that will equate to a strong enough grip to close the #3?

For example:

Grip Guy number 1 lifted 225lbs on the RT, but could NOT close the #3.

Grip Guy 2 lifted 240lbs on the RT, and was successful at closing the #3.

Is there a correlation? Or are we talking 2 totally different grip strengths? Crushing strength vs. Open hand pinch type strength.

Any input would be great.

No correlation at all.

Yeah, there's really no correlation. It's all over the place. Some guy who can only pull 190 might out-close a guy who can pull 240. Two totally different types of strength

I can't say for the RT, but can anyone name someone who could lift the Inch or equivelant DB but who could not close a #3 at the same time? I wouldn't say there is 0 correlation, strength is strength, but it approaches 0.

No correlation. Strongmen usually have the open hand strength even without doing any direct grip training, and may be able to pull 220+ RT straight away yet still fail on the last 1/4'' on the #3. The last portion of a gripper close isn't indirectly trained just by lifting in the gym, whereas open hand strength is.

I can't say for the RT, but can anyone name someone who could lift the Inch or equivelant DB but who could not close a #3 at the same time? I wouldn't say there is 0 correlation, strength is strength, but it approaches 0.

Tony Scrivens. Holy cow, you're the one that told me that... dope :laugh

OK, I was leaning to the "No correlation" side, but wanted some professionals to confirm.

Thanks for the info!!

I would say there are probably a lot more then you think. I remember some years ago John Wood talking about some basketball players at the University of Michigan picking up the inch easily (think TALL dudes with BIG hands) and I would be willing to bet none of them could close the #3. With some training...probably...but right out of the gate like lifting the inch, NO WAY.

I know no one likes to talk hand size, but you have to admit, large hands lift the inch much easier then small. You cannot dispute that. All you have to do is think of "little" Rob Vigeant (those of us who know him). He had tiny hands, not sure of the size, but very small. In 2003 at BFGS, he closed the Beef Builder Elite, pinched 2-45s, lifted the blob, leaped from my bench and caught himself in the rafter pull-up, but yet he could not break the inch off the ground. His cousin "Monkey Paws" on the other hand, who had HUGE hands, closed the same gripper, out 2-hand pinched him by 12 pounds, lifted the blob, etc. and he could TOY with the inch.

-Rick

Odd Haugen can lift the Millennium Dumbbell and is not a Number 3 closer.

I think that "last quarter inch" on grippers is something for which you have to specifically train.

I'm very close to closing the #3, but I can only pull 150 or so on the RT.

I knew about Big Tony, but I disqualified him in my mind. His hands are SO big that they get in the way of a gripper close, even with a normal set.

Thanks for the info gents.

I knew about Big Tony, but I disqualified him in my mind. His hands are SO big that they get in the way of a gripper close, even with a normal set.

Oh, and that Jamal from Sorinex.

Guest Bullitt

Oh, and that Jamal from Sorinex.

Don't forget this guy. He could hook grip the RT. :laugh

http://www.insidesocal.com/prepsports/julius.jpg

And even though this was the perfect time to bring up the gorilla thread again, I refrained. :inno

Rex, it would have to be a definite integral, because there is clearly a range in people's rolling thunder abilities.

equation.gif

Sorry to come down on you like this Rex, but I think you are a few decimal points off. The actual equation is as follows:

equation3.gif

Edited by naturalstrength