Race To A Reverse Grade 8

jpmmkrahling

Done, I just killed my Grade 8 x 1/4" x 6" to 42 degrees in 2 hits. I can not believe it. I did not ask my daughter to do a video because i really did not think i could do it. Now, do i do it again tomorrow night with my last one and get it on video OR calibrate it so i know where i stand for Eric's comp latter this month? Some advise PLEASE

It is a FNL bolt, but i do not have an exact calibration. Eric's list says 460 but he has some for the comp at 500. I really do not think it is at 500 but i would be happy with a 460 reverse!

Nice Job Mike Keep Hitting Them PRs !!! :rock:rock:rock

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• easyWeight

• jpmmkrahling

• gumpster

• Johnsson

Done, I just killed my Grade 8 x 1/4" x 6" to 42 degrees in 2 hits. I can not believe it. I did not ask my daughter to do a video because i really did not think i could do it. Now, do i do it again tomorrow night with my last one and get it on video OR calibrate it so i know where i stand for Eric's comp latter this month? Some advise PLEASE

It is a FNL bolt, but i do not have an exact calibration. Eric's list says 460 but he has some for the comp at 500. I really do not think it is at 500 but i would be happy with a 460 reverse!

Nice work Mike! Is an FNL the same as a "triangle?"

No, FNL is a different brand than a triangle. Each manufacture will probably calibrate differently. That is why i do not know if i should calibrate my last FNL so i know what is was at or put it on video. The fact that there will be a difference in calibrated weights is why i like to know the actual calibrated weight and not just a title like Grade 8. Unfortunately it could have been an easy bolt and your triangle could be a hard one. the only way to know is to calibrate them. I just wish i had more confidence in my bending, i shoudl have done a video just in case :angry:

Congrats on killing it Mike! :rock I say you wait a couple days (no need to rush) then try to get your last one on video.

Alright! Man, you're making some very nice progress, Mike!

The calibrator in me says, "calibrate it". :laugh

Nice work Mike :rock You should come up to Jedd's sometime and train.

No, FNL is a different brand than a triangle. Each manufacture will probably calibrate differently. That is why i do not know if i should calibrate my last FNL so i know what is was at or put it on video. The fact that there will be a difference in calibrated weights is why i like to know the actual calibrated weight and not just a title like Grade 8. Unfortunately it could have been an easy bolt and your triangle could be a hard one. the only way to know is to calibrate them. I just wish i had more confidence in my bending, i shoudl have done a video just in case :angry:

OK. I wasn't sure because I think I've seen somewhere that someone referred to an FNL and triangle as being one in the same. And I've been thinking FNL refers to Fastenal and that's where I got my triangles. It doesn't really matter though. You got a G8 reverse!

I agree with Perry. Wait a couple days and get it on video! If that's long enough for you anyway. I was going to hit my last G8 today while I was deadlifting, but I started feeling a lot of soreness in my wrists and decided against it. I'm going to make my next attempt soon though. So hopefully, I'll at least come in second place :blink

Edited by easyWeight

Nice work Mike :rock You should come up to Jedd's sometime and train.

Thanks John, I will get up there eventually. I just need to get my grip PR's a little better first.

i calibrated the G8 and it was at 460. So it is a pretty normal g8, not like those 500 lb'rs Eric has at the comp. I should have another G8 early next week. I'll do a vidoe of that bend. I just needed to know where i was for Eric's comp, otherwise i would have done a video on this one. So technically the race is still on :rock But only for about a week, get moving

Congratulations Mike. Guess I gotta work on my reverse a little more before SSS. Ran outta grade 8's, but luckily, I have some 6" x 1/4" square that feels every bit as mean as the grade 8, but with a bit less spring to it. Good luck to you in Fort Worth in 2 weeks.

i calibrated the G8 and it was at 460. So it is a pretty normal g8, not like those 500 lb'rs Eric has at the comp. I should have another G8 early next week. I'll do a vidoe of that bend. I just needed to know where i was for Eric's comp, otherwise i would have done a video on this one. So technically the race is still on :rock But only for about a week, get moving

In my mind you already won :cool

Did you do the calibrating or send it to Eric?

Edited by easyWeight

Congratulations Mike. Guess I gotta work on my reverse a little more before SSS. Ran outta grade 8's, but luckily, I have some 6" x 1/4" square that feels every bit as mean as the grade 8, but with a bit less spring to it. Good luck to you in Fort Worth in 2 weeks.

Thanks Brad, i have some 5" x 1/4 squares also and they calibrated at 435 so they are pretty darn close to the G8, So it does not suprise me that yours feels every bit as hard as the g8's. And i'm looking forward to meeting everyone in Tx. I think we will all have a great time, good luck to you also :D

Thanks Darin, I calibrated it myself. Eric helped me build a devise like his. It's ALOT more work then i expected but it seems worth it just to know what something is strength wise before i go all out and try and kill it. I have been calibrating my stock before i bend stuff, this G8 just happened to go backwards

Alright! Man, you're making some very nice progress, Mike!

The calibrator in me says, "calibrate it". :laugh

Thanks Eric, I really needed to know what i achieved so i did calibrate it. I'm glad to see you may have done the same. I just need a little more to get to that 500 lb'r you have for the comp.

Thanks Darin, I calibrated it myself. Eric helped me build a devise like his. It's ALOT more work then i expected but it seems worth it just to know what something is strength wise before i go all out and try and kill it. I have been calibrating my stock before i bend stuff, this G8 just happened to go backwards

Any chance you could upload a picture? I'm curious what it looks like. Maybe I'll make one some day also.

Any chance you could upload a picture? I'm curious what it looks like. Maybe I'll make one some day also.

Picture would be nicy

Picture would be nicy

I have three pics in my gallery. Scroll to the right to see the last one. I haven't seen Mike's device, but I'm sure it's very similar to mine:

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=8968

Count me in on this guys. I wasn't going to get into because I couldn't even kink a yellow reverse, but I got a 6.5" yellow to 30 degrees today. Probably starting off behind all of you guys but it will be good motivation and a lot of fun.

How's everyone doing? I just bent my first blue reverse. I've gotta get ahold of some grade 5's to see how those go. I do have some 1/4" stainless though which I'm guessing would be pretty similar? My thumb pads are killing me right now.

How's everyone doing? I just bent my first blue reverse. I've gotta get ahold of some grade 5's to see how those go. I do have some 1/4" stainless though which I'm guessing would be pretty similar? My thumb pads are killing me right now.

Good job on that Blue Nail!

My lower forearms have been really tender lately. A change from my elbows and biceps, lol. Not sure from what exactly, but I'd guess from my last reverse session. I tried a little on Saturday, but it's a pain I cannot endure. So I'm going to rest up a bit, maybe see if it's feeling any better today, but I doubt it.

IMO, all the 1/4" G5s I've bent except the Black JHs have been considerably easier than the 1/4" round CRS I've been purchasing locally here. I'm not sure how it all compares to a Blue Nail, however, as I've never bent any other IM stock than a Red Nail.

Edited by easyWeight

Good job on that Blue Nail!

My lower forearms have been really tender lately. A change from my elbows and biceps, lol. Not sure from what exactly, but I'd guess from my last reverse session. I tried a little on Saturday, but it's a pain I cannot endure. So I'm going to rest up a bit, maybe see if it's feeling any better today, but I doubt it.

IMO, all the 1/4" G5s I've bent except the Black JHs have been considerably easier than the 1/4" round CRS I've been purchasing locally here. I'm not sure how it all compares to a Blue Nail, however, as I've never bent any other IM stock than a Red Nail.

Rest up and hit it hard when you're feeling better, I'm hoping I can stay injury free as I know a lot of people have gotten injured with reverse. Good point on the crs, I have some here that is quite a bit harder than the IM stock, I'll try some of that next, and then the stainless after that. I'll have to order some grade 8's so I can give them a try when I get strong enough.

I am in, but it will take 1-2 years I thing. My best is now 6mm x 7" "hard grade" rebar to 40deg in many sessions and hits with thin suede.

If I correctly remember, I last week got that rebar 4-5deg farther with couple hits and yesterday I got 5,5mm x 6" bright square nail over 45deg pretty easily with one hit.

Someone said (I doesn't remember was it this thread or another) that 6" are easyer than 7" with reverse. Is it?

congrats guys for the g8 bend! i ve been out from bending and from the bending forum but i never forget my friends!

Now on the red/bastard i believe like Eric said it wont be a "big" difference)

congrats guys for the g8 bend! i ve been out from bending and from the bending forum but i never forget my friends!

Now on the red/bastard i believe like Eric said it wont be a "big" difference)

maybe i/m doing something wrong but all i can do is barely wobble a red in the reverse style. It seems to be because the 7" is alot different then the 6". I'll get it eventually