Decent Sledge Levering

gunnar

I've been using a 10lber, yesterday I switched to my 12. Although I checked home depot for a heaver one but no dice. I guess ill work the crap out of it till I can gan get to the harbor freight store. I am shooting for the #20 though

Rico

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rico300zx

• The Natural

• climber511

• gunnar

Zach and Rex that's really good levering guys, way to go!

Parris

Do any of you guys use the Heavy Hammer II for your lever training? Would that thing have quite a bit of carryover to a real sledge?

I started with an 8lb and have done very little training and recently welded and 1 3/4 pipe to the head for oly plate loading. I have started to concentrate more on this lift and am now up to 11lb strict lift. my goal is 16lb.

Actual sledge handles are oval shaped and hurt. Using a thicker, rounder handle would be more comfortable in the hand and reduce the possibility of blisters. Though, train it seriously enough and you'll always be working through blisters or some kind of skin issue.

Ive only ever had a 16, when i first tried it i couldn't quite manage it with my hand on the end, after a couple training sessions i was doing it for reps, didnt train it for a long time then did some rep sets of maybe 8 or so a while back.

I think a 20 wouldn't be a problem with little training, but a 25 would take a good amount of work, so what rex has said is probably about right.

As I am a newbtard to grip, and life in general, I have no idea what I'm doing half the time. But, I started levering about three years ago on occasion when I trained at a buddy's house, but never once tried maxing out. I just simply did really light loadable leverage reps front and rear whenever I felt like it. Never anything serious.

About 5 or six months ago, I bought my own sledge handle (for loading, not a real sledge) and started working it a little more seriously. My first 1RM attempt was at 15 and was good, then about a week ago I hit a real strict and easy 17.5 lbs. At least I think it was strict. No one was watching me to say one way or another. I don't know if Rex is being serious about the 31" or not, but my handle is 34" from weight to end. Not sure if that makes a significant difference. I did the 17.5 after DU bending so my wrists were pretty sore and I failed 20. I think fresh I may be good for a 20 lber.

I don't know if Rex is being serious about the 31" or not, but my handle is 34" from weight to end.

I was being serious, in fact. A rare moment for me.

Also, wrapping the handle with athletic tape is permissible too.

But under *no* circumstances can someone wear elbow sleeves during a lever. This is a significant performance enhancer, just as it is in bending, and if a sledge lever ranking is ever formed I will see to it that nobody wearing sleeves will have a place on it.

-Rex

Easyweight

R u and Rex talking about the same thing / type of levering. Eg. Sledge held by the end of the handle and brought down to your nose or shoulder and pressed back up while arm is held out horizontaly in front of you? I'm asking because you had said something about front and back.

Rico

I only have my 8 lb sledge. What's the easiest way to add weight? Just duct tape weights on the end?

I have only an 8 too. I simply put the end of the handle through a 2.5 pound plate, let the plate drop nearly to the head, and secured it in place with a large clamp. My training involves starting around 8 reps with a given weight and going until I can get it for 20 reps with each arm. Then I add weight and go back to 8 reps.

-Rex

Guest Bullitt
I only have my 8 lb sledge. What's the easiest way to add weight? Just duct tape weights on the end?

I have only an 8 too. I simply put the end of the handle through a 2.5 pound plate, let the plate drop nearly to the head, and secured it in place with a large clamp. My training involves starting around 8 reps with a given weight and going until I can get it for 20 reps with each arm. Then I add weight and go back to 8 reps.

-Rex

Good idea Rex. Thanks bro. I will give it a try. Need to train this lift for Gripmas.

-Rex

Good idea Rex. Thanks bro. I will give it a try. Need to train this lift for Gripmas.

For those of you training this lift for Gripmas - I just want to let you know that your arm will be supported parallel to the floor at shoulder height. You might want to train with this in mind for best results here. I will try to post a video of my set up whenever someone visits that knows how to do that stuff.

I don't know if Rex is being serious about the 31" or not, but my handle is 34" from weight to end.

But under *no* circumstances can someone wear elbow sleeves during a lever. This is a significant performance enhancer, just as it is in bending, and if a sledge lever ranking is ever formed I will see to it that nobody wearing sleeves will have a place on it.

-Rex

I could disagree, but since I understand the reasoning, I won't < < It's good to level the playing field anyway. Maybe I'll choke up on my handle a little and see if it makes any difference.

Easyweight

R u and Rex talking about the same thing / type of levering. Eg. Sledge held by the end of the handle and brought down to your nose or shoulder and pressed back up while arm is held out horizontaly in front of you? I'm asking because you had said something about front and back.

Rico

Yes, same thing. I mentioned the front and rear as that's all I did before I started perusing Gripboard and learned more about sledge levering. I'm much stronger on an OH-type lever than I am with a rear lever. Not sure if that is common or not.

Edited by easyWeight

-Rex

XD

Darin, 3" is a big deal with hammer levers. Just to give you an idea, multiply the hammerhead weight by the length of the handle in increments. I usually do inches, so the units would be in/lbs. 3x17.5 is 52.5 in/lbs and that means your lever was closer to a 20 than a 17.5 with a standard handle.

-Rex

XD

Darin, 3" is a big deal with hammer levers. Just to give you an idea, multiply the hammerhead weight by the length of the handle in increments. I usually do inches, so the units would be in/lbs. 3x17.5 is 52.5 in/lbs and that means your lever was closer to a 20 than a 17.5 with a standard handle.

Thanks Zach, but for the record, I measured it again today and it was only 32.5". I don't know where I got 34" from. Either I suffer from acute edit or the plates have been jammed on further and further each time. So my 17.5 done a few days ago was more than likely the same 32.5" rather than 34" :blush:D

A *strict* lever with a 12, where the wrist never drops below the elbow, is decent by grip guy standards (an 8 would stop most men who don't lift weights or train grip). A 16 is very good by grip guy standards. A 20 is excellent. I'd put "world class" around the 25 pound mark.

Also, let me add that the bottom of the hand needs to only be 31" from the bottom of the hammer head. I didn't realize this. Don't let the hammer nerds beat you on hammers because you're using a longer handle than you need to.

-Rex

Damn, I have had the bottom of my hand with only about an inch or two of the handle stickinout

I'm betting you will pay more for the magnents than the sledges. Not to mention its a pain in the but and changes the center of gravity. You may not know where to grab the handle for the correct weight. Does anyone you know what I mean?

Rico

I'm betting you will pay more for the magnents than the sledges. Not to mention its a pain in the but and changes the center of gravity. You may not know where to grab the handle for the correct weight. Does anyone you know what I mean?

Rico

Very much so, yes. The platemates that I know of are a good bit more expensive than my last 16lb sledge. What I do is just slide some olympic weights down the handle and clamp them in place. It's pretty straightforward and I've added almost 10lbs with a basic clamp similar to this one: http://www.horsetackinternational.com/imag...ooler-clamp.jpg available at any Home Depot or Sears.

You can buy just strong magnets for a decent price.

In my experience however, duct tape is cheaper and works better.

If you like hammers and have the money, I would also recommend just buying the heavier hammers.

If you like hammers and have the money, I would also recommend just buying the heavier hammers.

some of the goofy outlet type store have hammers. Around here they have "ollies bargain outlet" every time I've been in there they have up to 16#. I think the 16er's were 30$.

Ahhh duct tape my best friend

Rico