Why Is Everything Off Center?

Guest Bullitt

Guest Bullitt

Had a good day bending after my gripper workout today.

Warmed up with a g2 bolt, then killed a 6 3/4" X 5/16" round and a 6" X 1/4" square piece that I hadn't been able to budge before. Both went down with just a couple hits and crushdown in under 1 min.

My question is, why is everything I bend off center? The steel always kinks closer to my right hand. I'm assuming it is because I am stronger on that side and am applying more torque, but I thought I would ask you experienced benders what i may be doing wrong. Here are the videos and a pic of 3 very off center bends.

6 3/4" X 5/16" round DO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsMlmZusw-k

6" X 1/4" square DO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSwLpt3NFfU

The aftermath: http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/124932338...092_1486650.jpg

Even off center, that was the best day I have had yet. Very happy! :D

Had a good day bending after my gripper workout today.

Warmed up with a g2 bolt, then killed a 6 3/4" X 5/16" round and a 6" X 1/4" square piece that I hadn't been able to budge before. Both went down with just a couple hits and crushdown in under 1 min.

My question is, why is everything I bend off center? The steel always kinks closer to my right hand. I'm assuming it is because I am stronger on that side and am applying more torque, but I thought I would ask you experienced benders what i may be doing wrong. Here are the videos and a pic of 3 very off center bends.

6 3/4" X 5/16" round DO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsMlmZusw-k

6" X 1/4" square DO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSwLpt3NFfU

The aftermath: http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/124932338...092_1486650.jpg

Even off center, that was the best day I have had yet. Very happy! :D

Nice bends! Those Bastards are gonna melt when you get them.

Way to be, MIKEY!

I have no idea why your bends are off-center, bro. I'm sure someone does though...

it happends ... (off-center). i had very luck in this area(never mark the center of the bar). if u get one side off-center at 1/2" or 1" u are in deep troubles... maybe there's one reason ..LOL

the 6" square its a great bend!

If u feel confortable with the 7" stock , the bastard will go down under 2 mn.

Edited by ewokhugo

Guest Bullitt
it happends ... (off-center). i had very luck in this area(never mark the center of the bar). if u get one side off-center at 1/2" or 1" u are in deep troubles... maybe there's one reason ..LOL

the 6" square its a great bend!

If u feel confortable with the 7" stock , the bastard will go down under 2 mn.

So that's the secret? Just don't mark the center of the bar and I will never know they are off center. HAHAHAHAHA

Thanks guys! The bending was really on today. I was amazed at how fast I killed those. The longer stock didn't seem to bother me too much Hugo. I'm looking forward to giving those bastards a try!

I'm at work so I can't watch your vids but I can speak from my own experience.

When I use "fat pads" and move my hands out to the ends of the bar and use the "folding" technique, my bends were usually off center, favoring my right hand. When I use thinner pads and bring my hands in more then they tend to come out more evenly almost all the time.

Hope this helps!

Tim

Guest Bullitt
I'm at work so I can't watch your vids but I can speak from my own experience.

When I use "fat pads" and move my hands out to the ends of the bar and use the "folding" technique, my bends were usually off center, favoring my right hand. When I use thinner pads and bring my hands in more then they tend to come out more evenly almost all the time.

Hope this helps!

Tim

Exactly what's happening Tim. Thanks! Working on getting used to single wraps.

Mike

i always mark where im putting my wraps in. for me its usually about 1.5 inches from the end. if i dont do it my bend ALWAYS end up off center. nice bends by the way!

Guest Bullitt
i always mark where im putting my wraps in. for me its usually about 1.5 inches from the end. if i dont do it my bend ALWAYS end up off center. nice bends by the way!

Thanks Caolan. I'm really becoming addicted to this stuff. :D

Nice bending! :rock As far as the off center thing goes...it happens to everyone. I noticed when your hands got closer that they weren't aligned (your pinkie knuckle on the right hand looks to be matching up with the ring-middle knuckles of the left hand when you near the end of the sweep). My guess is that's due to you favoring the right side and being stronger there. You could try shifting the bar 1/4" to the side that comes up short when you start instead of centering it between both hands.

I have never marked the middle of the bar, and i barely bend off-center. My bet is that you are using more power in your dominant hand..Or something like that :P

best advice IMO

I do the same ... marking the center of the bar does nothing other than telling you that you are already off-center during your bend unless you are marking the center for a Reverse or DU bend to use the mark for measuring your bend on the protractor.

Nice bends!

Guest Bullitt

best advice IMO

I do the same ... marking the center of the bar does nothing other than telling you that you are already off-center during your bend unless you are marking the center for a Reverse or DU bend to use the mark for measuring your bend on the protractor.

Nice bends!

thanks guys. I will definitely try this next time I bend.