Is There Difference In A Bright & Galvanized 60d

wlong132003

I have a bunch of Bright 60D nails and a bunch of 60D Galvanized nails. Is there a difference in one being harder then the other? Also whats the calibration of a 60D nail....bright or Galvanized? Thanks

The question of "What's harder: bright or galvanized?" has been raised. . . numerous times in this forum (try the search function on "galvanized").

Opinions differ - but I remember someone quoting a study (can't find which topic it's under!!!) that indicated dipped galvanizing increases steel strength. That has been my experience with dipped galvanized nails - they're way harder than brights.

Hope this helps.

Dave

I have a bunch of Bright 60D nails and a bunch of 60D Galvanized nails. Is there a difference in one being harder then the other? Also whats the calibration of a 60D nail....bright or Galvanized? Thanks

Not sure on the shiny vs. dull. Here is a list of calibrations that helped me a lot Bill.

http://www.gripfaq.com/gb/FBBCSteelProgression.pdf

Nice info sheet Mike! I printed this one out incase I can't find it later :D

Guest Bullitt

Not sure on the shiny vs. dull. Here is a list of calibrations that helped me a lot Bill.

http://www.gripfaq.com/gb/FBBCSteelProgression.pdf

Nice info sheet Mike! I printed this one out incase I can't find it later :D

No problem. I got it from timiacobucci.

I've had a low of 210 from Eric and a high of 330 for commonly available ones. I had one freak that actually hit 480 but that is very rare. Average seems to be around 260 to 280.

Galvanizing supposedly weakens the steel slightly but that doesn't mean a whole lot. I've had tough and easy of both types.

Typically, the sharper the bend in a 60d, the tougher the nail.

Tim

Intresting so far I am 50-50 with everyone on this. Some say bright is harder some say its easier.... Maybe I should take pictures of my nails for those who dont know what I am talking about

I think the only way to know is to actually bend them. I've got at least a dozen different 60d nails and they're all over the place ranging from easier than a blue nail to as tough or tougher than grade 5's. I threw the calipers on them a while ago and there were pretty significant differences in the OD of the nail as well. Around 1.5mm at it's greatest varience. As far as colour/texture the're all over to.

The nice thing about finding the tougher 60d's is it sure saves on money compared to buying bolts all of the time.

Edited by Shoggoth

Jason,

Being in Canada, there are some Canadian 60ds called "Sivaco" and they are thicker than regular 60d nails. They're almost 9/32 thick and the toughest of those has been the 480 ones that I have a few of. Pat Povilaitis sent those to me and he said the only tougher he's ever run acrossed was a couple that were a full 5/16 inch thick.

As a very general rule if you average all of Eric's calibrations out (and he's done LOTS more than is in the calibration thread) the shiny ones would have the edge.

I've had:

Griprite galvanized - 210 pounds

Skinny shiny from Ben Edwards - 240 pounds

Griprite shiny - 265 pounds

Shiny unknown - 265

Griprite galvanized - 280 pounds

Shiny unknown 295 pounds

Mazel shiny - 305 pounds

Keystone galvanized - 315 pounds

Portugese galvanized - 315 pounds

Galvanized with waffle head - 320 pounds

Keystone shiny - 330 pounds

Sivaco shiny 345 pounds

Sivaco shiny (green) 380 pounds

Crazy shiny Sivaco aka "world's toughest 60d" 480 pounds.

Eric's not doing alot of calibrations anymore but I've recently got some griprite galvanized that are slightly thinner and probably hit around 250. Also, I've got some Sivacos now that are galvanized but they look more like the plating on a bolt and they look mean but are probably slightly under 300. Suprising too since they are thicker than regular 60ds.

60d nails will feel tougher than a G5 even if they calibrate slightly lower because they point doesn't give as good a bite and leverage as the threaded end of a G5 bolt. Just an FYI.

Lenth plays a part too. The mazels at 305 are also longer than any 60d I've ever had and therefore they feel tougher than some of the 315 pound nails.

Eric recently had some that hit 340 in one of the comps but I never heard the brand.

Like someone said, best thing to do it try them. I've had 2 nails that look almost identical and they were drastically different.

Pics would be great. Some steel nerd like myself may actually be able to identify them.

Tim

Jason,

Being in Canada, there are some Canadian 60ds called "Sivaco" and they are thicker than regular 60d nails. They're almost 9/32 thick and the toughest of those has been the 480 ones that I have a few of. Pat Povilaitis sent those to me and he said the only tougher he's ever run acrossed was a couple that were a full 5/16 inch thick.

As a very general rule if you average all of Eric's calibrations out (and he's done LOTS more than is in the calibration thread) the shiny ones would have the edge.

I've had:

Shiny unknown - 265

Shiny unknown 295 pounds

Mazel shiny - 305 pounds

Sivaco shiny 345 pounds

Eric's not doing alot of calibrations anymore but I've recently got some griprite galvanized that are slightly thinner and probably hit around 250. Also, I've got some Sivacos now that are galvanized but they look more like the plating on a bolt and they look mean but are probably slightly under 300. Suprising too since they are thicker than regular 60ds.

60d nails will feel tougher than a G5 even if they calibrate slightly lower because they point doesn't give as good a bite and leverage as the threaded end of a G5 bolt. Just an FYI.

Lenth plays a part too. The mazels at 305 are also longer than any 60d I've ever had and therefore they feel tougher than some of the 315 pound nails.

Eric recently had some that hit 340 in one of the comps but I never heard the brand.

Like someone said, best thing to do it try them. I've had 2 nails that look almost identical and they were drastically different.

Pics would be great. Some steel nerd like myself may actually be able to identify them.

Tim

Great list Tim. One thing I am is deficient in is writing down the name of the manufacturer off of the boxes. A lot of the nails I've found have been in the steel "lazy susan" type bins outside of their respective boxes and other times I've found as many as 4 different types in one box. I took a picture of some of the nails and their respective "ranking" while ago and the harder nails are one there. I went to use my caliper to give a little more information with this post but the battery is dead. As for the nails looking the same but different strengths I've found that with my 2 harder nails. The main indicator of the harder one is they've got a nick in them from the factory about an inch from the point.

I'll see if I can get the picture up. Some look damn close, it's just a matter off counting hash marks or seeing how round or squared the heads are with some that I have.

Interesting conversation!

Here's a pic of some of the nails. I'll dig them all out and take a better one tomorrow.

Hopefully the link works, first time I've tried it.

60d nails

Edited by Shoggoth

The 3 toughest 60ds ive bent were sent by Pat,Big Steve and Rick[zcor]

They were all just under 5/16" thick and all were harder than any galvanised 60d ive bent.

The hardest galvanised nails ive bend were sent by Big Steve and Tim T they were 70ds.

The hardest nail ive bent was a 70d spiral by Pat but that also depends on wether you classify a 70d as a nail or a spike.

Regarding the bend radius of steel,bolts,nails etc.

A sharper bend radius does not always tell the full story a few things come into the equation how far out you have your hands on the material as well as the material itself have an effect on the bend radius.

Put a piece of mild crs in a vice say a 7inch piece half the piece sitting inside the vice the other half sticking up and bend it towards you you will get a v shaped bend in most steel this way but stainless and a few others will still fight the sharp v.

Take the same piece and put it in the vise with the vice on and the bar ends jaw to jaw now use a pipe around the vice handle and close the vice and notice how this action simulates a bar being bent useing a high up DO style style with the fingers out on the end of the bar.

Again with stainless it will most of the time create a curved rather than a v shape.

Take a bar in the reverse or DO style and put your fingers together and bend the bar with your hands as close together thruout the bend as you can then do the same with fingers right on the ends of the bar and note the difference in the bend radius all these as well as the material getting bent have a factor in how the bar will bend.

sorry for being a complete geek, but let's clairfy that a bright nail is uncoated (that's why they rust). A galvanised nail is coated and is designed for more serious work. so, it seems logical that a galvanised jobby will be tougher.

BUT there's more than one process for galvanisation:

Electrogalvanising - creates a thin layer, typically used for coating nails, does NOT affect strength of under-lying material

Hot-dip galvanising - creates a thick layer, DOES affect strength of under-lying material

hope this helps.

so how do you know if it was hot dipped or electrogalvanized if you was given the nails?

Electrogalvanising is usually thinner and smoother and a lighter colour.

Hot Dipping is thicker sometimes alot rougher texture and finish and a darker colour.

Jason,

I've had:

Shiny unknown - 265

Shiny unknown 295 pounds

Mazel shiny - 305 pounds

Sivaco shiny 345 pounds

Tim

I agree with Tim, those Sivaco's were wicked. Toughest 60 I've ever bent. I had a few freaks in that batch that were harder than a huge bastard. :blink

Some of the real hard ones that I've gotten are by my workplace. I'll head over at lunch to check the boxes. It was one of the places that sells them out of the metal bins though. If they're the right ones and you'd like some let me know.

Well the tougher ones that I can get that are easily accessable are Tree Island brand. Anyone know what they calibrate at?

I've always wondered what Tree Island 60ds would be like. I can tell you that out of all the 80d spikes I've bent, the tree islands are consistantly some of the meanest I've tackled. Last batch especially.

spike bends

In the above pic you can see a tree island 80d second from right and it was a mean one. Tree Islands I believe are Canadian made as well.

Tim

Guest Bullitt

Everything's tougher in Canada. Especially the hockey! :D

Is it just an optical illusion Tim or does the shiny hex bolt, bottom right, have a weird wave wobble to it on the hex side?

Rindo

It's just a weird reflection from the scanner.

Tim