Horseshoe Heaven

EricMilfeld

I went to pick up some easy shoes for the contest at a mom and pop hardware store, and while I was paying at the counter an older gentleman to my right asked if I shoed. "No, I bend", I told him. :D So, we got to talking and the next thing I knew I was second guessing my hearing. "You have horseshoes you can give me?" "Yes, out in my truck". :yikes:ohmy:blink Twenty pairs of shoes he unloaded on me. But he's got a bunch more at home!!! He told me Karkhaerts (spelling?) are the best. He also confirmed my hunch that they are made of especially strong steel. He's been in the business for 25 years and has even made his own shoes in the past. And some light was shed as to possibly why some thin used shoes are surprisingly tough. He explained how he always heats his shoes in the forge several times very briefly to make them stronger. Today was a good day.

Now THAT is being at the right place at the right time!

Tim

Nice :rock:rock:rock And to think i keep buying mine on e-bay :angry: I'll have to go find a local ferrier. And that is really interesting about them heating up shoes, even though most of the shoes i've been bending are used, they are very hard to determine which ones are harder based on thickness alone. Great info, Thanks

WOW! What a score, Eric! That's a great story.

I too have a similar story: I was in San Diego, CA for a business trip recently and met a woman from Maryland (right outside DC, oddly enough) and she told me she rides horses. She grew up riding all over Maryland, so I asked her if she knew a good ferrier. She pulled out her phone, wrote down his name and number and gave it to me. I need to give him a ring. Who knows what will come of it. Maybe I'll start bending shoes seriously. HAHA!

Awesome man. There are a couple of ferriers in my area. I guess I need to get in contact with them now.

:rock How did he react when you said you bend them?

Yeah, some of these shoes are much more difficult than they appear. Some of them bend like stainless in that they flex and get harder as you go. I guess this is from being hardened in the forge.

Yes guys, see if you can find a friendly ferrier. It's really fun not knowing how tough the next shoe is going to be or how it will bend. I normally get stuck at 170 degrees or so with tough shoes, but with some of these I'm only getting a 10 or 20 degree bend. But at least I'm getting an opportunity to work a different portion of the bend.

:rock How did he react when you said you bend them?

He really didn't seem all that surprised. But boy is he passionate about his profession. A really nice and interesting guy to talk with.