G8 Vs. G5 And A Funny Story

Guest Bullitt

Guest Bullitt

So I went to Fastenal today and got some goodies (Thanks Huntca!!!!!) Here's how it went:

Got some G5 and G8 bolts and some square key stock. Kid working there was really nice. I get to the counter and he asks if my company has an account with them.

Me: "naw I'll just pay cash for these."

Kid: mind if I ask what you plan to do with them.

Me: Well you are gonna think this is crazy, but I bend steel

Kid: Your company bends steel? Where do the bolts come into play?

Me: Um, no, I actually bend the bolts

Kid: In a vice or with a machine?

Me: Um, no, with my hands

Kid: eyes down and mumbling and clearly thinking I'm either nuts or some freak of nature: that'll be $12.43, sorry I was so nosey sir.

HAHAHAHA. Talked to him about bending and the gripboard and how we're all just regular guys. By the time I left, he said he was going to check out the gripboard and try some 3/16X6. :D

Anyway, question is: They did not have any 1/4"X6 G5s. They did have some G8s so I got a bunch of those and some 5/16 G5s. Also picked up some 3/16 and 1/4 square keystock. How much harder is a G8 bolt than a G5? I'm probably still way out of my league. As most of you know I have only bent 60Ds, 1/4" round drill stock down to 5", and standard grade 1/4" bolts down to 4 1/2" in length. Are the G8s going to be way out of my league? I know the 5/16 G5s are way too hard as I haven't yet wobbled the standard grade 5/16 I have yet. Just trying to figure all this out. Thanks! And thanks again Hunt!

:laugh Thats good stuff. You're welcome buddy. Not a big deal at all.

Man, it seems like I am stalking you. :fear I guess I am just the only slacker who spends half the day on the board at work. But, to answer your question the best I can and give you some background info:

The first piece of steel I ever touched was a 1/4"x6" g5. Paul wrapped it up, and I killed it, no problem. I wish it never woulda happened like that. I have since bought more g5's and have only been able to wobble them. Same thing with 60d nails. Don't get me wrong, I am glad to have killed that g5. But, I would have respected it alot more from the beginning ifI hadn't.

Now, out of what you bought, I am hypothesizing (word of the day) that the 3/16 square will be the easiest, 1/4" g8's, 1/4" square and then the 5/16 g5's. That's my guess. However, I picked up some 1/4" square the other day. Not real sure what it was though. It was real shiny, but a magnet would stick to it. :blink I literally almost busted a gut on that crap. I hit probably 6 good times, till I was red and veins were popping out and.......nothing.

Edited by huntca

Guest Bullitt
:laugh Thats good stuff. You're welcome buddy. Not a big deal at all.

Man, it seems like I am stalking you. :fear I guess I am just the only slacker who spends half the day on the board at work. But, to answer your question the best I can and give you some background info:

The first piece of steel I ever touched was a 1/4"x6" g5. Paul wrapped it up, and I killed it, no problem. I wish it never woulda happened like that. I have since bought more g5's and have only been able to wobble them. Same thing with 60d nails. Don't get me wrong, I am glad to have killed that g5. But, I would have respected it alot more from the beginning ifI hadn't.

Now, out of what you bought, I am hypothesizing (word of the day) that the 3/16 square will be the easiest, 1/4" g8's, 1/4" square and then the 5/16 g5's. That's my guess. However, I picked up some 1/4" square the other day. Not real sure what it was though. It was real shiny, but a magnet would stick to it. :blink I literally almost busted a gut on that crap. I hit probably 6 good times, till I was red and veins were popping out and.......nothing.

Yea, I had tried a piece of the 1/4" square shiny keystock at 6" and no go either. Going to cut this one at 7 and see how she goes. I plan on having a bending fest after MM1

Mike, work your mind and the rest will go down. when i am not confident i like to ask if "i am ready" ... actually your DO should be much better than any style (Du included)its a matter to learn the technique(kink specially)that work for u.

G8 have a tought kink ... 5/16 g5 are the edgins:-) if i had a couple of 7mm bars i would send then to u , they are around g5 level.

Guest Bullitt
Mike, work your mind and the rest will go down. when i am not confident i like to ask if "i am ready" ... actually your DO should be much better than any style (Du included)its a matter to learn the technique(kink specially)that work for u.

G8 have a tought kink ... 5/16 g5 are the edgins:-) if i had a couple of 7mm bars i would send then to u , they are around g5 level.

Thanks Hugo. I needed that. And not just for the bending, but for this MM1 tonight. No doubts!!! :rock

http://www.gripfaq.com/gb/FBBCSteelProgression.pdf

This can be very useful. They are only numbers and there is allot of variance in steel but it is a good guide for sure.

I am going to sort of respond to this thread and your DO one mixed together if you don't mind.

Your DO in that video was terrible. BUT that is a good thing, because that means you are strong as hell, that DO was more like a high heslep style and as you said you are starting to find the flexibility and groove getting it up high. That hrs/crs 5/16" you bent is allot tougher than you think. I would say if you can bend that you are very close to the 1/4" g8 and not far off from a bastard or red. The g8 will get VERY springy right around 90 and want to flex back after you think you've bent it. This will feel very weird and challenging if you have not bent tempered steel before.

When you are at that level (right above a bastard or red) you should order some f911's if you really want to feel some freaky spring, those things are nuts, VERY fun bend.

If that 5/16" is the same stuff you are moving DU than you are VERY strong in that style and have got some serious wrist power. Keep working that style and reverse and your wrists will get allot stronger still.

The square is very hard if it is good steel. Department store hrs/crs 1/4" square is decently strong, fbbc much harder. I would say the crush down on that stuff especially cut down can be harder than a bastard. I would guess fastenal would be more toward the fbbc scale of steel quality but I have never tried it before specifically.

Overall don't worry about the g5, I would say you on the edge of g8 DU and DO easy if you get the technique down. G5's are fun to practice on and work with though even if you may be above this level max. It's good to have a variety of stuff to work with.

the first time i bought some stock, it was in 10ft legnths (too long for my car).

the guy at the sales counter told me o go round the back and 'ask the lads' for some bolt cutters. a helpful chap asked me what i wanted the steel for - he laughed when i told him. turns out he was into armwrestling and one of old buddies was into bending too.

i got some 3/16 and soon went back form some 1/4 stock.

Guest Bullitt
http://www.gripfaq.com/gb/FBBCSteelProgression.pdf

This can be very useful. They are only numbers and there is allot of variance in steel but it is a good guide for sure.

I am going to sort of respond to this thread and your DO one mixed together if you don't mind.

Your DO in that video was terrible. BUT that is a good thing, because that means you are strong as hell, that DO was more like a high heslep style and as you said you are starting to find the flexibility and groove getting it up high. That hrs/crs 5/16" you bent is allot tougher than you think. I would say if you can bend that you are very close to the 1/4" g8 and not far off from a bastard or red. The g8 will get VERY springy right around 90 and want to flex back after you think you've bent it. This will feel very weird and challenging if you have not bent tempered steel before.

When you are at that level (right above a bastard or red) you should order some f911's if you really want to feel some freaky spring, those things are nuts, VERY fun bend.

If that 5/16" is the same stuff you are moving DU than you are VERY strong in that style and have got some serious wrist power. Keep working that style and reverse and your wrists will get allot stronger still.

The square is very hard if it is good steel. Department store hrs/crs 1/4" square is decently strong, fbbc much harder. I would say the crush down on that stuff especially cut down can be harder than a bastard. I would guess fastenal would be more toward the fbbc scale of steel quality but I have never tried it before specifically.

Overall don't worry about the g5, I would say you on the edge of g8 DU and DO easy if you get the technique down. G5's are fun to practice on and work with though even if you may be above this level max. It's good to have a variety of stuff to work with.

Thanks for the guide. That helps a ton. My form is getting better, but is still pretty pathetic. I'll get there though! :rock