Cool Bending Opportunity This Weekend

BigTone

So, long time no bending... but funny how opportunities pop up that bring it back into play. I was at a family camp this weekend with our church and sitting around the table during lunch, discussing working out I think... and my small group leader mentioned to my pastor who was sitting at our table that "oh yeah Tony bends steel" After a little disbelief my pastor said he'd go get some steel if I would bend it for the group later on. He came back that night from farm and fleet with some leather gloves, some really thick 12-14" spikes, and then some kind of fence post/rebar stuff. I told him I would check it out and then let him know. All of this stuff was definately braced bending which I haven't really done a whole lot of but I've watched enough videos to know the general technique. I could barely kink the spike but I was able to almost scroll the rebar.

It was really awesome, he called me up on sunday before his message in front of probably 60 people that were camping with us. I started it over my head, got it to pretty much a U (at least with the thickness of what my head would allow) and then went down to my hip and finished bending it across itself with a big circular bend in the center. He followed it up talking about God's strength and using our talents for the Kingdom. It was really awesome. Definately got me on the bending bus again... I'm gonna have to find some tougher stuff, I like the braced style.

On a related note, I know a lot of what we do here is unbraced.... Are there any good articles on where to start regarding bending braced? I'd like to go pick up some steel but I don't know what to start with going over my head.

So, long time no bending... but funny how opportunities pop up that bring it back into play. I was at a family camp this weekend with our church and sitting around the table during lunch, discussing working out I think... and my small group leader mentioned to my pastor who was sitting at our table that "oh yeah Tony bends steel" After a little disbelief my pastor said he'd go get some steel if I would bend it for the group later on. He came back that night from farm and fleet with some leather gloves, some really thick 12-14" spikes, and then some kind of fence post/rebar stuff. I told him I would check it out and then let him know. All of this stuff was definately braced bending which I haven't really done a whole lot of but I've watched enough videos to know the general technique. I could barely kink the spike but I was able to almost scroll the rebar.

It was really awesome, he called me up on sunday before his message in front of probably 60 people that were camping with us. I started it over my head, got it to pretty much a U (at least with the thickness of what my head would allow) and then went down to my hip and finished bending it across itself with a big circular bend in the center. He followed it up talking about God's strength and using our talents for the Kingdom. It was really awesome. Definately got me on the bending bus again... I'm gonna have to find some tougher stuff, I like the braced style.

On a related note, I know a lot of what we do here is unbraced.... Are there any good articles on where to start regarding bending braced? I'd like to go pick up some steel but I don't know what to start with going over my head.

David Horne's website has a section on braced bending records - it should give you some help. Some of the threads about scrolling might help as well. As usual, start out easy, learn the techniques and body positions that work for you. Flat stock is always good as well as the normal round stuff - always use hot roll - the cold roll stuff with kill you. Length is the issue, a few inches either way is everything.

1/2" Round

5/8" Round

3/4" Round

1/4 x 1 Flat

3/8 x 3/4 Flat

3/8 x 1 Flat

1/2 x 3/4 Flat

1/2 x 1 Flat

3/8" Square

1/2" Square

All the above are good depending on length - well and your strength hehe!