Blacklisted From Sears

naturalstrength

Two days ago I walked into Sears, picked up a 12" 16oz framing hammer. Conversation is as follows:

Carl: Does Craftsman still offer a full unlimited warranty on handtools :D

Salesman: Yes-sir-eee. Craftsman stands by its product, no questions asked. :)

Carl: So, no matter what happens to this hammer, you will replace it for free. Great! :)

Salesman: That'll be $19.99. :D

Carl: Thanks, have a great day! :D

5 minutes later

Carl: Can I please exchange this hammer, it didn't hold up to the job I guess. :blush;):whistel:shifty

Salesman: What the heck???!! I ain't ever see that happen before! :blink:blink:blink:blink:blink

Carl: Should I just grab a new one? :cool

Salesman: Can't do that, my boss will fire me if I replace this tool. The best I can do is refund your money. :dry

Carl: Thanks! Have good day. :D

Moral of the story is.......... Bending is an expensive sport!! There is no way around that, even with so-called warrantied tools

That's Hilarious! At least you got your money back! :rock

Nice :rock:rock:rock Hammers get expensive, but they are alot of fun. And people that know nothing at all about bending think it is great.

Edited by Mike K

That's funny, but in Texas it's against the law.

Be careful. ;)

Sweet! :rock

Joe,

What is the illegal thing? Bending stuff on purpose and wanting a replacement? Hasn't Steve McGranahan been doing this for years with wrenches?

I'm not pushing back on you, I'm just wondering if the rule differs between our two states.

Joe,

What is the illegal thing? Bending stuff on purpose and wanting a replacement? Hasn't Steve McGranahan been doing this for years with wrenches?

I'm not pushing back on you, I'm just wondering if the rule differs between our two states.

If a person intentially and knowingly destroys/uses a product with the intent to return for another

or refund is a crime in Texas. If anyone would like I can get the exact statute.

Jedd, I know you wasn't pushing brother. You wanted to know. No problem here.

Concerning Steve, is he returning the merchandise for a replacement just to bend/destroy it again?

This is the difference.

Joe,

If a person intentially and knowingly destroys/uses a product with the intent to return for another

or refund is a crime in Texas. If anyone would like I can get the exact statute.

Concerning Steve, is he returning the merchandise for a replacement just to bend/destroy it again?

This is the difference.

The truth of the matter was I was hammering a 14d nail into a piece of wood and slipped. While slipping, I accidentally braced the hammer over my thigh, by accident, and happened to break my fall by incidentally pushing down on either end of the hammer using my triceps, once again just to help break my fall. When I got up, the hammer was kinked(must be a manufacture's defect I guess) to about 35 degrees. In my disbelief that such a great handtool bent in this manner(it is a Craftsman after all..), I sat down due to the shock of the whole incidence. While sitting down, I accidentally crushed the hammer into a U. I guess they don't build 'em like they use too.

Edited by naturalstrength

Joe,

This is the difference.

The truth of the matter was I was hammering a 14d nail into a piece of wood and slipped. While slipping, I accidentally braced the hammer over my thigh, by accident, and happened to break my fall by incidentally pushing down on either end of the hammer using my triceps, once again just to help break my fall. When I got up, the hammer was kinked(must be a manufacture's defect I guess) to about 35 degrees. In my disbelief that such a great handtool bent in this manner(it is a Craftsman after all..), I sat down due to the shock of the whole incidence. While sitting down, I accidentally crushed the hammer into a U. I guess they don't build 'em like they use too.

LMAO!!!

Joe,

This is the difference.

That's too funny Carl!

Good one!!!

Dude, is this what you told the salesman?! That would be funny as hell if he had asked how it happen.

I do see it as a bit dishonest, I've never stolen anything before but one time I did "test out" a tire iron in a store and it kinked surprisingly easy and I quickly put it back on the shelf and left the store. I felt like sort of an ass but I really didn't want to have to buy that hunk of crap.

Most of the way we bend tools are not the manner in which they are designed to be loaded. Otherwise I wold say it is fair game. Like Big Steve crushing pliers by squeezing them, that is the intended use of the product. Anything with a warranty that you can destroy using it as it was meant to be used is not built to standard and deserving of replacement in my opinion.

Also does anyone else find this Texas law amusing? I don't doubt it's existence at all, there are some funny laws on the books as I'm sure most of you have heard before. But honestly outside of our given field here, who really stands to gain from intentionally destroying products and having them replaced? Obviously someone was exploiting this to great effect to the point they needed a law to address it, but I can't imagine how.

Dude, is this what you told the salesman?! That would be funny as hell if he had asked how it happen.

I do see it as a bit dishonest, I've never stolen anything before but one time I did "test out" a tire iron in a store and it kinked surprisingly easy and I quickly put it back on the shelf and left the store. I felt like sort of an ass but I really didn't want to have to buy that hunk of crap.

Most of the way we bend tools are not the manner in which they are designed to be loaded. Otherwise I wold say it is fair game. Like Big Steve crushing pliers by squeezing them, that is the intended use of the product. Anything with a warranty that you can destroy using it as it was meant to be used is not built to standard and deserving of replacement in my opinion.

Also does anyone else find this Texas law amusing? I don't doubt it's existence at all, there are some funny laws on the books as I'm sure most of you have heard before. But honestly outside of our given field here, who really stands to gain from intentionally destroying products and having them replaced? Obviously someone was exploiting this to great effect to the point they needed a law to address it, but I can't imagine how.

I found out from an attorney yesterday why this law came about.

It's because people where and are buying a product, let's say a shovel, using it

and then returning it for a refund. So really, you don't even have to destroy the product.

It's all in your intent. And yes, it's been prosecuted in the county I live in.

Call it amusing, but it's a fact and it's against the law in Texas. End of story.

It's not natural to be that strong! In future hammers are to be used for banging in nails. The hammers and nails are not to be bent. :D

Most of the way we bend tools are not the manner in which they are designed to be loaded.

I do agree with Tim about the "dishonest" attempt to return the tools, and did feel bad about returning the hammer. It's just that the look on the salesman's face was simply priceless when he saw the bent hammer, " I 'aint ever seen that happen before" :blink:blink

Still crackes me up even several days later :D

http://johnhawks.net/graphics/darwin-expre...terror-1872.jpg

That's awesome...I used to sell tools at Sears and the responsible tool user is paying for the a-holes that are just trying to get free stuff....Like the guy that wanted a new worm drive saw after he cut the cord off his, or the guy that turned his 4ft level in to a horseshoe after an I-Beam fell on it, or the millions of genius' that think they should get a new chalk line because thier's ran out of caulk....I would not have given you a new hammer either...lol....

-B