Assisting Work For Bending

gunnar

Hi Mashandcrush,

Bending and grippers have only very very little carryover, if any. The best assistance exercises for

bending a man can do are leverage lifts with a sledgehammer and isometric bending position on bars so hard

that you can't budge them. You can bend a hard bar in a vise with the aid of a pipe so you have it kinked at

various degress to simulate different bending angles.

Volko said some good things.

I just want to mention that bending will always make you stronger at bending. But if you're looking for assistant work then sledgehammer levering will make your wrists real strong. Isometrics like Volko said.

Also being strong in general will help you. Basic bench, military presses and dips will help. Work your back also and do core work. Do thoose things and you will get better

I got ahold of my parents sledge,but its old and there isnt any way to see how heavy it is,I like that isometric idea too. I made a sledge tool that uses ol plates

Edited by strut

I got ahold of my parents sledge,but its old and there isnt any way to see how heavy it is,I like that isometric idea too. I made a sledge tool that uses ol plates

You could try weighing it! ;)

Exactly ... for me was funny ..i had one background about lifting weights but i stopped complety doing anything AFTER i started bending (january 09). Sometimes i do some curls, military press but its very rare(1 or 2 x a month at most).

My conclusion: i believe bending alone makes u a good bender.

Exactly ... for me was funny ..i had one background about lifting weights but i stopped complety doing anything AFTER i started bending (january 09). Sometimes i do some curls, military press but its very rare(1 or 2 x a month at most).

My conclusion: i believe bending alone makes u a good bender.

Hehe, no wonder you're doing better than me....maybe I should stop my SM training...haha, just kidding. Doing both really does make it difficult though.

If anything will help you get stronger all around, MASHANDCRUSH, it would be squatting and deadlifting, both with proper form and no straps on the DL. Doing heavy full body movements like those will also help increase other lifts like bench press (and bending), as well as aid in increasing your natural testosterone levels.

I think specific muscles that are used in bending are triceps, chest and shoulders, as well as wrist work and forearm, of course, but training just those areas isn't going to do you any good if you neglect the supporting muscles, and end up with muscle imbalances. The best plan would to start a well balanced training regime.

Edited by easyWeight

I do heavy barbell bent rowing, preacher curls,spider curls,zottmon curls, I will work in an intensive delt power routine. likely will do floor presses and push ups until I build my bench.

I just got a beautiful kobalt 8 lb sledge and you can bet she wont be bustin up anything, i got 1/4 inch rod from lowes to work on

I do...preacher curls,spider curls,zottmon curls,

Uh, OK.....why? :blink

Seriously, not to be a jerk, but if you want to impress the chicks with your "big guns" then keep doing whatever that gibberish is you wrote above. If you want to get strong, then forget that crap and get under the bar! As Jesse Marunde would say, SQUAT MORE!

Edited by easyWeight

I do...preacher curls,spider curls,zottmon curls,

Uh, OK.....why? :blink

Seriously, not to be a jerk, but if you want to impress the chicks with your "big guns" then keep doing whatever that gibberish is you wrote above. If you want to get strong, then forget that crap and get under the bar! As Jesse Marunde would say, SQUAT MORE!

dude, im buyin some grippers,but i ll pull with you and bench CORRECTLY with you anytime.....oh yeah and not on a smith machine

Don't start hating, guys, it's still the internet.

Ontopic:

My 2 cents: doing anything that makes you tired helps you getting stronger, whether it is curls, squats or helping someone get their luggage in the top locker at the airport.

For me, I never liked to train 1 or 2 muscles at the time, a body is 1 piece of equipment to achieve things, you should use it as 1.

Depends on what type of bending you want to be good at :D

If its just DO style and to hit a few lists then Upper body work like bench presses etc will help.

Now if you want to be an all round bender and be able to kill bars in Reverse,DU,Heslep,Ostlund and Slim styles etc then you need wrist power as well as upper body strength.

My 3 laws of bending :D

1. Bend as often as you can.

2. Bend in all styles from the beginning.

3. Practise lots of Isometrics.

These 3 will help you become very strong at bending but you have to put the work in.

dude, im buyin some grippers,but i ll pull with you and bench CORRECTLY with you anytime.....oh yeah and not on a smith machine

Luuc is right ... its bad to start some kind of war. Every bender is a good person i can put my money if necessary.

Darin is a good man he didnt mean to bug u; he just favour the total bodypower instead of using single muscle exercices.Internet can change the energy of the words.lets clean this mess:-)thanks.

Edited by ewokhugo

Heh, I'm by no means hating and seriously didn't mean to sound that way, and I'm sorry if it was taken as such. But when someone's routine is dominated by several biceps curl variations, it really shows their inexperience and misguidance. IMO, biceps are nothing more than a supportive muscle (and good for arm wrestling I suppose). They should definitely be trained in some way, but for overall strength they have no other applicability other than being pretty; just like pecs.

My point with my last post was that he's wasting his time with all those curls, unless being pretty is his main goal, in which case, I have no advice.

MASHANDCRUSH, if you want to improve your bending, then do what people have suggested to you. Work those muscles and movements that are used directly in the bend. But, I guarantee you that your progress will be much faster if you incorporate full body movements. If you don't want to then that's up to you.

Edited by easyWeight

Heh, I'm by no means hating and seriously didn't mean to sound that way, and I'm sorry if it was taken as such. But when someone's routine is dominated by several biceps curl variations, it really shows their inexperience and misguidance. IMO, biceps are nothing more than a supportive muscle (and good for arm wrestling I suppose). They should definitely be trained in some way, but for overall strength they have no other applicability other than being pretty; just like pecs.

My point with my last post was that he's wasting his time with all those curls, unless being pretty is his main goal, in which case, I have no advice.

MASHANDCRUSH, if you want to improve your bending, then do what people have suggested to you. Work those muscles and movements that are used directly in the bend. But, I guarantee you that your progress will be much faster if you incorporate full body movements. If you don't want to then that's up to you.

I love coventional deadlifts and stiffleg deads and goodmornings, and after i have a bench,Ill be back at that too. i need some squat stands. I like using 5/8s chain and resistance bands. loved box squats when I was at a gym. I can still do elevated deads.

I am able to roll off 3-4 strict reps with the 8lb hammer,when I get more reps in then ill move to a 10lb,this cant help but to benefit my rolling thunder lifts too.i want concentrate on horse shoes

I am able to roll off 3-4 strict reps with the 8lb hammer,when I get more reps in then ill move to a 10lb,this cant help but to benefit my rolling thunder lifts too.i want concentrate on horse shoes

If you want to get a headstart before you begin with the horseshoes. Corestrength is really important here and good lockout strength.

If you want to get a headstart before you begin with the horseshoes. Corestrength is really important here and good lockout strength.

for lockout,is benching in a power rack and or board benches a good selection?

for lockout,is benching in a power rack and or board benches a good selection?

Benching in power rack would be good. Anything that hits your triceps hard. I use to do alot of heavy dips for that. I did not train lockouts specificly during the time I focosed on horseshoes, I got that strength though regular isos on the shoes. But it is something that will come in handy with the shoes

I love to use the old Coil spring exerciser hold it so my hands are about 10 inches apart and bend it DO and DU. I use it to warm up for braced bends too. I'm sure the armwrestlers on the board all have these.