Having Technique Problems

liam.mccaffrey

Since switching to small-ish single leather wraps full time, I am having trouble starting 5/16" bars at 7". I am easily strong enough to finish even the toughest bastard at 7" and 6.5". But the pressure (and pain) is directly on the side of the index finger for the kink and I am really worried that if i continue in this way I will seriously damage my fingers. They are already a bit numb.

I bent a 6" fbbc square easily in around 20 secs so im wondering whether its a length issue?

The reason I ask is that I know someone once told me that when they bend it small wraps the pressure was pretty evenly distributed over the first 2 fingers with me that certainly isn't the case

Anyone have any thoughts/advice?

Edited by liamcafs

Trying holding less tight, I don't know how you're holding the bar now, but to me it sounds like you're gripping the bar hard and only the indexfingers are supporting the bar.

Try this: hold a long bar in one hand, like you want to lever it, arm against your body and normal grip. Now let the front of the bar down by opening your index finger untill you feel the bar on your middle finger. This is how I hold the bar when bending in thin wraps.

Hope I understood your problem, good luck.

Edit: Also, hold your hands close to eachother, unlike DO bending in thick pads; you need your entire hand.

Edited by luuc

Thanks Luuc, i guess u helped me a lot aswell:-)

i had the same prob , my index fingers (side) hurt a lot ...

if u have some pain /bruises use tape of your index fingers (this way i dont need to stop bending).good luck.

This thread has my interest too. I am having the same problem. Thanks luuc for idea, i will try your idea also. It would be nice to get rid of that pain and start making progress again.

liamcafs, please keep us posted with your progress with luuc's suggestions. Very good question, i am glad i was not alone.

Mike, with or without pain u bend the im red in 10 sec or so ...lol

Yeah i did (thanks for remembering :rock ) and i still can bend the red pretty quick, but i have never bend anything harder then the red nail in IM wraps. And i really need to get better for this Steel Slayer Showdown :(

It's a problem that will go away in time if you train smart and let your index fingers adapt to it.

I would still want to hold it tight. But with thinner pads you have to wrap deeper. about 1.5"-2". That will also help distrubite the force over a larger area. The side of the index finger will always be under alot of stress though.