Steel Progressions For A Newcomer?

Csmith724

Hey guys, I'm new to steel/nail bending. I've read a bunch of articles and sites about bending, and have seen a few different lists of progressions.

Even with all this information, I'm not going to lie, it's a little overwhelming with all these different stocks out there! Nails, bolts, grades, thicknesses. I feel lost!

I have the Beginner's Bag from FBBC and I've been doing some bends with the stock from that. Thus far I've completed bends with the 7'', 6'' and 5.5'' 3/16th round stock with ease. If anyone knows what the progression should be for that bag, it would help me a lot. Also, what kinds of steel, nails and/or bolts can I pickup from a hardware store for my level?

Thanks for the help.

Chris

Hi there,

without knowledge about the exact contents of the beginner bag, I would recommend the following:

Once you're done (or more or less done) with 3/16 round stock, spend a couple of weeks with 3/16 square stock. At this stage you can also buy some timber ties, simple spiral nails, good for beginners. After some time with the square (and perhaps also the grade 2 bolts), you will be able to bend the 1/4 round stock at 7". Spend a couple of weeks with that until you have mastered 6" round stock. Now you buy some 60d nails and bend them for volume. After that, 5,5" round probably is a piece of cake and after a couple of workout the 6" grade 5 bolt should fall.

That ought to be a beginners progression that'll keep you busy for about 1-2 months.

And I would recommend you to be sensible with the wrapping in the beginning, not too much and not too little, one layer of leather/suede will protect you hands and allow you to biuld strength in your hands/wrists. Later on, you can switch to doubles if you choose that road, but for now you should focus on base strength and technique.

Damm , Henrik said (almost) everything! lol

For me worked this way: Mike/Auto send me a lot of diferents bars: 1/4"x6",g5,g8,red nail,bastard and so on.

My plan was to kill each one till the bastard(to get the fbbc cert).i tried to beat my p.b every time, wich i did. having diferent bars in front of your eyes its great to improve your desire. Dont limit yourself.

If i were u i would pick 1/4"x7" or 6" ... 1/4"x6" g5 ... 1/4"x5.5" g5 ...1/4"x6" g8 ...red nail, bastard ... i dont have any kind of super strenght but i knew in my mind i was capable so i believe u can do the same.

i never used im wraps till now , i am not good yet with them. I used fat wraps (around 2 " dia) to make good progress, so this is what i recommend.

One more comment here:

There are different schools regarding wrapping, but let me put it like this: I think it's absurd to use fatpads when you're still chasing let's say a grade 5 bolt, I think a grade 5 bolt in 1 layer of wraps is a reasonable requirement ensuring technique and base strength in hands and wrists before hitting the double wraps.

I'm sure that there are other who disagree with me here, but this is my opinion, based on my experiences and I have made pretty good progress with single pad wrapping :)

Thanks for the help guys.

As far as wraps, I got a pair of leather wraps from FBBC with the beginner's bag when I ordered it, so right now I'm using those.

As far as the steel is concerned, do you think it would be easier/cheaper just to pick up some stock straight from a hardware store? If so, what exactly do I ask/look for?

Thanks for the help guys.

As far as wraps, I got a pair of leather wraps from FBBC with the beginner's bag when I ordered it, so right now I'm using those.

As far as the steel is concerned, do you think it would be easier/cheaper just to pick up some stock straight from a hardware store? If so, what exactly do I ask/look for?

I suppose that would depend on the hardware store. However, Home Depot, Lowe's, Fastenal, and others (considering you live in the U.S. or Canada) like them that sell steel and bolts are EXTREMELY expensive compared to FBBC. The one thing to remember is that if you want to certify with FBBC, then it has to be FBBC stock. But, you can find much cheaper bulk steel by contacting local steel suppliers or machine shops. I believe I pay around $0.46/foot (or less; can't remember) for 5/16" Round CRS; which puts it right around $2.50 per 10 pieces of 7" stock. Obviously, it gets cheaper the thinner it is also. The only dilemma you have there is that unless you calibrate it yourself, you don't really know how it compares to other stock of similar dimensions, but is a very cheap alternative that I highly suggest.

Thanks. I'll check out if there are any steel suppliers near me. Like I said, right now I'm working off of the FBBC Beginner's Bag.

Anyone know what the progression for that bag is? You can find it here:

http://www.fatbastardbarbellco.com/BENDERSBAG.html

Here's a decent chart to follow, but keep in mind that this isn't current and steel/bolts can sometimes vary from one piece/batch to the next.

http://www.gripfaq.com/gb/FBBCSteelProgression.pdf

And another one. Just click the link to the left "Bending Progression."

http://www.az-grip.com/

Thanks. I'll check out if there are any steel suppliers near me. Like I said, right now I'm working off of the FBBC Beginner's Bag.

Anyone know what the progression for that bag is? You can find it here:

http://www.fatbastardbarbellco.com/BENDERSBAG.html

I think I gave you a good starter progression for it in the original thread over at Straighttothebar.

But here goes:

7x3/16 round

6x3/16 round

5.5x3/16 round

7x3/16 square

5x3/16 round

6x3/16 square

6x1/4 g2 bolt

5.5x3/16 square (cut it down)

5.5x1/4 G2 bolt (cut it down)

7x1/4 round

5x3/16 square (cut it down)

5x1/4 g2 bolt (cut it down)

6.5x1/4 round (cut it down)

7x1/4 Hex

6x1/4 round

6.5x1/4 Hex (cut it down)

6x5/16 G2 bolt

5.5x1/4 round (cut it down)

6x1/4 Grade 5 bolt

5x1/4 round (cut it down)

5.5x1/4 G5 bolt

5x1/4 G5 bolt

6x1/4 G8 bolt

7x5/16 round Bastard

It may not be perfect as steel varies but should be ballpark.

- Aaron

Thanks aaron. Yes you gave a basic idea of progression I just wasn't sure where the different bolts fit in. Thanks for all your help.

All great advice and FBBC pads are great to start with.

You can also use 1/4 inch HRS if you have a steel supplier if you need a intermediate jump up from 3/16 square but can't quite get 1/4 round CRS such as that from FBBC. Also, steelworks zinc plated would be a nice stepping stone to whatever size CRS.

All the best!

Tim

Can't thank you guys enough for all the help. Now that I feel like I've got a better idea of how to progress, I'm looking forward to really diving in. I picked up some 60D Timber Ties today as well from Home Depot, so I'm looking to throw them into the mix as well.

Thanks again.