Strange Strenght Reduce While Orginal Du

Johnsson

Hi,

I had DU testing 1 hour ago. I bended 1/4 x 6" FBBC Round very easyly with one hit to 60 degrees with thin suede wraps. Then wrapped 1/4 x 6" FBBC Hex to single leather wraps and taked couple mins of rest. Started to bend and... it was very hard compared to Round. Only kinked it few degrees with maybe 2-3 hits, if I correctly remember and it was very painfuly for wrist. Regardless of pain, I desided to try 5,5" Round with thin suede and taked 2-3 hits to it and kinked like 6" hex, few degs and had pains, now also a lot of pains in pinkies. I now did these like yoda (I don't remember whole nickname, but that swedish guy :)) told me in my video topic, arms downward to stomach while bending (like Ostlund do/did, because I am not sure am I using right words). With 6" Hex and 5,5" round I had wrist pains sinse just right when bend started.

How my power lovered so quikly from 6" round bend even if I changed to "not that painfuly" wraps?

Or was it just too big step which lovered my strenght even more before I tryed 5,5" round?

Or should I just need to continue those bends even if I had a lot of pains in wrist?

Maybe some technigal mistakes which can add pains?

Hi,

I had DU testing 1 hour ago. I bended 1/4 x 6" FBBC Round very easyly with one hit to 60 degrees with thin suede wraps. Then wrapped 1/4 x 6" FBBC Hex to single leather wraps and taked couple mins of rest. Started to bend and... it was very hard compared to Round. Only kinked it few degrees with maybe 2-3 hits, if I correctly remember and it was very painfuly for wrist. Regardless of pain, I desided to try 5,5" Round with thin suede and taked 2-3 hits to it and kinked like 6" hex, few degs and had pains, now also a lot of pains in pinkies. I now did these like yoda (I don't remember whole nickname, but that swedish guy :)) told me in my video topic, arms downward to stomach while bending (like Ostlund do/did, because I am not sure am I using right words). With 6" Hex and 5,5" round I had wrist pains sinse just right when bend started.

How my power lovered so quikly from 6" round bend even if I changed to "not that painfuly" wraps?

Or was it just too big step which lovered my strenght even more before I tryed 5,5" round?

Or should I just need to continue those bends even if I had a lot of pains in wrist?

Hello, a couple of things here:

1. Pain in the wrists/pinkies is quite common, it takes time to build up wrists/fingers/tendons, how long have you been bending? Patience, patience...and generally, pain is bad. You will not lose strength if you back of a week or so before you push it again.

2. FBBC hex is harder than round, inch by inch, the closest thing to FBBC 6" round probably is 6,5" hex. So test the 6,5" as the next step after 6" round.

3. Technique is easier to give feedback on if u can supply a video.

But! I strongly urge you to keep doing the "old" du for some time, it will make your hands strong, not only the muscles but it will build base strentgth in your tendons etc.

Hi,

Hello, a couple of things here:

1. Pain in the wrists/pinkies is quite common, it takes time to build up wrists/fingers/tendons, how long have you been bending? Patience, patience...and generally, pain is bad. You will not lose strength if you back of a week or so before you push it again.

2. FBBC hex is harder than round, inch by inch, the closest thing to FBBC 6" round probably is 6,5" hex. So test the 6,5" as the next step after 6" round.

3. Technique is easier to give feedback on if u can supply a video.

But! I strongly urge you to keep doing the "old" du for some time, it will make your hands strong, not only the muscles but it will build base strentgth in your tendons etc.

Thanks a lot!

1. I have been bending 4 months aproxymately

2. Oh, I thought that hex is just little bit harder than same size round :blush

3. I will capture my DU bending to video soon. Maybe with that 6,5" hex. I might try to video it on saturday, if my wrists feels little bit better.

And I will use only orginal, because I like it a lot.

Let me reinforce point nr1 again, it takes some time to harden tendons and ligaments in your hands, so be patient, and don't neglect it! That's why I always recommend new guys to include some traditional DU, reverese and DO with thin pads in the beginning, these styles will hit your hands and make them strong AND tough...

Great advice from Yoda. I think beginners should spend a good deal of time with traditional ("old") DU before progressing to the Modified DU. My reasoning for that is simply to build up some tendon, ligament, and specific strength necessary to put the more leverage-efficient Modified DU to really good use.

For me, traditional DU isn't as affected by pad size as the Modified DU is. I might be different. But I preferred about 50% thicker pads when doing the Modified DU compared to the traditional DU. So experiment with pad sizes and do a lot of volume on easier bends if you can afford the steel. If you can't afford a lot of steel - you might want to try progressive isos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuGxpOCjv3U

Those leather wraps feels harder than suede. Can that affect to pains?

Two things:

1. The technique - try to avoid getting the elbows out to the sides so early. Load your lats, keep the elbows tensed, stay tight and hit the nail down. Once you get the first kink, you will have to put the elbows further out.

2. The pain - slow and steady. If you get pain from the hex, back off for a week or so (do more of the easier nails meanwhile) and then ramp up and hit the hex again.

Traditional DU hits the wrists hard, you have almost no leverage, either hands/wrists are strong enough or not. When tendons/ligaments etc in hands/wrists get stronger the hex will fall.

Edited by yodajaeger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuGxpOCjv3U

Those leather wraps feels harder than suede. Can that affect to pains?

Two things:

1. The technique - try to avoid getting the elbows out to the sides so early. Load your lats, keep the elbows tensed, stay tight and hit the nail down. Once you get the first kink, you will have to put the elbows further out.

2. The pain - slow and steady. If you get pain from the hex, back off for a week or so (do more of the easier nails meanwhile) and then ramp up and hit the hex again.

Traditional DU hits the wrists hard, you have almost no leverage, either hands/wrists are strong enough or not. When tendons/ligaments etc in hands/wrists get stronger the hex will fall.

Thanks very much!

Could it be faster and stronger to start from front of head than from chin?