Stainless Steel Question

mgjenn23

Being fairly new to bending, I was wondering what is the relative strength difference between the stainless bars and their regular carbon steel counterparts. For example, where do you think a 1/4"x6" stainless bar would rate in the standard progressions of IM bag of nails, 60D nails and graded bolts of similar length?

Just curious. Thanks.--Mike

Being fairly new to bending, I was wondering what is the relative strength difference between the stainless bars and their regular carbon steel counterparts. For example, where do you think a 1/4"x6" stainless bar would rate in the standard progressions of IM bag of nails, 60D nails and graded bolts of similar length?

Just curious. Thanks.--Mike

Not much, or any, difference at all between stainless and carbon steel at 1/4". You notice the difference at higher diameters, and the biggest difference is always from 90 degrees to under 2", the stainless becomes very springy and hard. For example stainless square at 1/4" is just as difficult to crush down as a steel bar at 5/16" thickness (at same length), while 5/16 stainless makes a red/bastard feel like a coat hanger at the crushdown.

So join the standard progression until you have bent a grade 8 bolt and the CRS square 1/4", then it is time (and worth the money, stainless is expensive!) to start with stainless :)

JMHO

very good advice by Henrik.

i have noticed a BIG difference when i bend the 7 mm(betwen 1/4" and 5/16") stainless and the 7 mm crs.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=10343

Eric compiled this list which is very helpfull. Just remember that every batch of metal will calibrate differently but this gives a very good progression of the different types and lengths of metal.

Thank You again Eric, I reference this all the time :D

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=10343

Eric compiled this list which is very helpfull. Just remember that every batch of metal will calibrate differently but this gives a very good progression of the different types and lengths of metal.

Thank You again Eric, I reference this all the time :D

Thanks, Mike. I'm glad to hear it's helpful for you. That list required partially deadlifting a total tonnage equivalent to the Queen Mary. :whacked