Grand Shiny Bend-off

easyWeight

We recently had a strongman competition here in Fargo and Caolan and his dad came down to watch. I challenged Caolan to a bend-off on the Grand Shiny, hoping the extra motivation would influence one of us to finish this sucker once and for all. Unfortunately, neither of us finished the bend, but it was still a lot of fun. I don't think it's often that us benders get a chance to bend side-by-side, so I uploaded the video and want to share it regardless.

Notice he's half my size, lol, but still working on the same piece of steel. That in and of itself is impressive IMO :rock :rock :rock

Both Caolan and his dad are really nice people, and showed a lot of class. Again, it was great meeting both of you Caolan and thanks for coming down for the show!

Edited by easyWeight

Cool vid. Do another competition when both of ya got the bends! :D

I really like that idea of bending side by side. Great job :rock:rock:rock , and i am glad to see that you guys are not that much further ahead of me :D . I can see more races in the future. Are either of you thinking about that Steel Slayer Showdown in Texas?

hey thanks for puttin the vid up Darin. After watchin this, I think I should stop working on my kink and get to work on my pathetic crush.

Half your size haha, you just wait till next year I plan on gaining alot of weight :D. It was awesome meetin you too man, that was probably the funnest time Ive had since I started grip :rock

Mike I dont think Ill be makin it out. Im gonna be doing alot of strongman training so I'll be cutting back a fair bit on the bending

Great video guys! Always cool to see two elite benders (or more) bending side by side.

Awesome guys! Those shorter shinys get pretty flipping insane past 90!

Cool vid. Do another competition when both of ya got the bends! :D

I suppose we could have done something easier :blink Heh, thanks!

I really like that idea of bending side by side. Great job :rock:rock:rock , and i am glad to see that you guys are not that much further ahead of me :D . I can see more races in the future. Are either of you thinking about that Steel Slayer Showdown in Texas?

Thanks Mike! Maybe we should start a fresh Grand Shiny Race for all of us that lost the last one :P

Texas is way too far from me to consider that competition. If I didn't have the disposable income of a student (which = zilch) I'd consider it, but it'd still cost far too much IMO.

hey thanks for puttin the vid up Darin. After watchin this, I think I should stop working on my kink and get to work on my pathetic crush.

Half your size haha, you just wait till next year I plan on gaining alot of weight :D. It was awesome meetin you too man, that was probably the funnest time Ive had since I started grip :rock

Mike I dont think Ill be makin it out. Im gonna be doing alot of strongman training so I'll be cutting back a fair bit on the bending

No problem Caolan. I hear you on the crush. I thought I had a good crush until I got to this crazy bastard. That's why I'm going to be throwing in some over crush work into my training.

Hopefully, I'll be up that way in a month or two. We can do it again! :rock

Great video guys! Always cool to see two elite benders (or more) bending side by side.

Hehe, elite bender? I'm far from being an elite bender, but thanks for the comment!

Awesome guys! Those shorter shinys get pretty flipping insane past 90!

Man, you're not kidding. And they keep getting harder the closer to 2" they get.

Edited by easyWeight

Hehe, elite bender? I'm far from being an elite bender, but thanks for the comment!

Haven't you both bent Huge Shinys? I'm not sure if you're aware or not, but that's not exactly a beginner's bend ;)

Haven't you both bent Huge Shinys? I'm not sure if you're aware or not, but that's not exactly a beginner's bend ;)

Lol, yeah we've both bent the Huge Shiny. Maybe I'm being too modest, but I would consider myself an intermediate bender. I haven't been bending long enough, and I still can't get an Edgin or the Grand Shiny for that matter. Maybe once I start killing SS in IMPs or start killing Edgins and Grand Shinies and get my DU and Reverse bends up to par, I'll feel more elite :-)

Not to take anything away from anyone else at my level, I just don't want to get too far ahead of myself thinking I'm great before I achieve greatness :P If that even ever happens.

BTW, the Huge Shiny was a walk in the park compared to the Grand!

Lol, yeah we've both bent the Huge Shiny. Maybe I'm being too modest, but I would consider myself an intermediate bender. I haven't been bending long enough, and I still can't get an Edgin or the Grand Shiny for that matter. Maybe once I start killing SS in IMPs or start killing Edgins and Grand Shinies and get my DU and Reverse bends up to par, I'll feel more elite :-)

Not to take anything away from anyone else at my level, I just don't want to get too far ahead of myself thinking I'm great before I achieve greatness :P If that even ever happens.

You STILL can't get an Edgin? Man, you certainly have the crush strength. You just have to get over the kink. Or is it the 7" length that's stopping you?

word! I can crush those huge shinys down to 1'' now lol!

Thanks for the comments guys, hopefully this stubborn piece of steel will die soon!

Darin, I think you should try an edgin again man your kink looks pretty dam strong in that vid

I would definitely be up for another bend off, when is that gimli contest anyway I might have to go watch some of that too!

You STILL can't get an Edgin? Man, you certainly have the crush strength. You just have to get over the kink. Or is it the 7" length that's stopping you?

Well, technically, I haven't really worked too hard on the Edgin. I've given one of the black ones a try, like I sent Hugo, and failed miserably, and then one triangle that Doug sent me and managed to wobble it. I think on a good day I should be able to get one, but I need to focus on it I think. My kink strength seems to fluctuate a lot. That fluctuation seems to correlate with my strength training. I'll get it, but I do definitely need to work on my overall kink strength. I might also try an extra layer of wrapping once to see if I can get it. Maybe that will help boost my confidence for a thinner wrapped attempt. As for the length, 7" feels very comfortable for me.

word! I can crush those huge shinys down to 1'' now lol!

Thanks for the comments guys, hopefully this stubborn piece of steel will die soon!

Darin, I think you should try an edgin again man your kink looks pretty dam strong in that vid

I would definitely be up for another bend off, when is that gimli contest anyway I might have to go watch some of that too!

The Gimli contest is July 25th. I'm not positive I'll be going to it though. One of the competitors at the Fargo show puts on competition around the same time. I'm not sure which one I'll be doing yet....wait....it's a week before Gimli. I may try to do both :rock

I'll try an edgin again soon :) It'll die very soon enough.

Edited by easyWeight

Well, technically, I haven't really worked too hard on the Edgin. I've given one of the black ones a try, like I sent Hugo, and failed miserably, and then one triangle that Doug sent me and managed to wobble it. I think on a good day I should be able to get one, but I need to focus on it I think. My kink strength seems to fluctuate a lot. That fluctuation seems to correlate with my strength training. I'll get it, but I do definitely need to work on my overall kink strength. I might also try an extra layer of wrapping once to see if I can get it. Maybe that will help boost my confidence for a thinner wrapped attempt. As for the length, 7" feels very comfortable for me.

If 7" lengths are fine with you, then get some 8" bars and start working with them. That is exactly how I bent my first Edgin and it only took 2-3 weeks from the wobbled hit on a 7" Triangle. I'm willing to bet you could take down an 8" version for sure. The whole deal with bolts is de-mystifying them. Once you bend some version of the real thing, the mental barrier is gone and I'm willing to bet that is all that's holding you back right now. The crush on an 8" Edgin is about like a Shiny, but with a stiffer spring.

If 7" lengths are fine with you, then get some 8" bars and start working with them. That is exactly how I bent my first Edgin and it only took 2-3 weeks from the wobbled hit on a 7" Triangle. I'm willing to bet you could take down an 8" version for sure. The whole deal with bolts is de-mystifying them. Once you bend some version of the real thing, the mental barrier is gone and I'm willing to bet that is all that's holding you back right now. The crush on an 8" Edgin is about like a Shiny, but with a stiffer spring.

No, I tried an 8" and I couldn't even manage to bend forward with it under my chin. 7" feels fine, but 8 is very awkward. It probably wouldn't hurt to work on some longer stuff though.

No, I tried an 8" and I couldn't even manage to bend forward with it under my chin. 7" feels fine, but 8 is very awkward. It probably wouldn't hurt to work on some longer stuff though.

Then try 7.5". OR, better yet, get yourself some 3/8 HRS and cut it to 8". You are fully capable of annihilating 3/8x6, let alone x8, and the kink melts like butter(as only HRS can). It's a great "learning" stock when trying to get used to longer bars. You don't really have to force it to kink, it just does because your shoulders rounding forward and being held in place will warp it. You have the range of motion, you just need to develop the strength in that ROM.

Great little show guys! :rock

I like it too!!! Thanks for sharing :rock You both will have this bend in short time.

hahahah sorry for the delay guys , already watched it before! VERY funny bending challenge!:-) hope more guys try the same! i cant pick a winner:-)

Then try 7.5". OR, better yet, get yourself some 3/8 HRS and cut it to 8". You are fully capable of annihilating 3/8x6, let alone x8, and the kink melts like butter(as only HRS can). It's a great "learning" stock when trying to get used to longer bars. You don't really have to force it to kink, it just does because your shoulders rounding forward and being held in place will warp it. You have the range of motion, you just need to develop the strength in that ROM.

I think I might just try that man! Thanks for all your advice :D

Great little show guys! :rock

Thanks Perry! It was fun.

I like it too!!! Thanks for sharing :rock You both will have this bend in short time.

Thanks Booyah :D This little sucker is definitely a tough one, but it will fall soon enough!

hahahah sorry for the delay guys , already watched it before! VERY funny bending challenge!:-) hope more guys try the same! i cant pick a winner:-)

No problem Hugo! We know you're busy these days :) Hopefully all is well with you!