The Steel Slayer Showdown

EricMilfeld

I'd really like to show up to this one if my work schedule would allow it!

that would be the shiznit!!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EricMilfeld

• Paul Knight

• jpmmkrahling

• cemery

I'd really like to show up to this one if my work schedule would allow it!

that would be the shiznit!!

It would be a crazy after party !!

haha guess what guys...

ST. CROIX FORGE IS SPONSORING THIS EVENT TOO!

:blink:ohmy:ohmy

haha guess what guys...

ST. CROIX FORGE IS SPONSORING THIS EVENT TOO!

Man, I wanted to post that. :(:dry:angry::laugh

We owe all the gratitude to Ryan for taking the initiative and making this happen. I was actually surprised and elated that St. Croix agreed to sponsor us. Apparently, they didn't really ask a lot of questions. Super cool!!!

seriously?!

And I forgot to mention that Ryan Johnson, himself, will also be sponsoring the contest. :rock Thanks, Ryan!

Gonna head out and do some single pad bending right now. I have tons of work to do for this contest but it's looking like I may be able to attend.

Gonna head out and do some single pad bending right now. I have tons of work to do for this contest but it's looking like I may be able to attend.

There's a pretty good likelihood the allowable wrap diameter will be 1.25". And that is measured without a nail inside the wraps. This should be enough padding for the softest of hands.

Hope you can make it!

At an 1-1/4" dia i could use leather wraps from FBBC. That makes a big difference from having to use IM wraps. Maybe i can actually bend something half decent with leather wraps.

And while i am thinking of it, is there a difficulty level i can follow for horseshoes? I tried a Diamond Cassic 0 the other day and it was so damn small my hands were rubbing together. I think a profression chart like there is for Short steel bending would help so i know where to go to next, thats all.

Braced bending with 8" stock is harder then i expected. I failed at an 8" edgin today, i got a whole 10 degree kink, WOW. It was just too short to get any leveradge with. This is going to be fun. Has anyone else had any problems with the 8" stock? maybe it's just me, i'll figure it out

At an 1-1/4" dia i could use leather wraps from FBBC. That makes a big difference from having to use IM wraps. Maybe i can actually bend something half decent with leather wraps.

And while i am thinking of it, is there a difficulty level i can follow for horseshoes? I tried a Diamond Cassic 0 the other day and it was so damn small my hands were rubbing together. I think a profression chart like there is for Short steel bending would help so i know where to go to next, thats all.

Braced bending with 8" stock is harder then i expected. I failed at an 8" edgin today, i got a whole 10 degree kink, WOW. It was just too short to get any leveradge with. This is going to be fun. Has anyone else had any problems with the 8" stock? maybe it's just me, i'll figure it out

Mike, talk about hands rubbing together, you ought to try a Diamond "0" Pony shoe. But even it is still very doable once you figure out how to reposition your hands. Instead of wrapping your hands around the shoe you more or less have to pull with your finger tips and push with the heel of your other hand.

How far did you get with that Diamond Classic 0?

And I'm right there with you with regards to the 8" braced bending trouble. This is by far my weakest event. I can pretty much double overhand anything I can brace bend. Although doing the crush between my legs does make that portion of the bend a bit easier.

I got the Diamond Classic 0 about an inch. But by that time i realized my hands were in the wrong position and my leg was brusied pretty good. I need to try again now that i have watched some youtube vids.

I really underestimated the braced bending. I did an 8" spike really easy. I have done a 12.5" x 1/2" that took me almost 5 min. But that 8" edgin was way tougher than i expected. And i thought this was going to be my best event (behind Paul) but now, maybe not. I'll just keep training. I am glad to hear that i'n not the only one haveing problems, this event may just be up inthe air. Which is a good thing :D

I've pinned the contest details in the Grip Contests forum.

I don't want to clutter up the pinned thread, but I just wanted to say it looks like an awesome contest.

Honestly, I'm dicouraged by there only being 4 events and the rigidity of the contest. Plus the fact that I am terrible at reversed and 8" stuff. I will consider it but we'll have to wait and see what airfare prices are. When we were discussing this I was thinking more along the lines of the Brit All bending comp with a marathon of events and a broader selestion of steel sizes, but with horseshoes instead of snapping. I know that would utterly obliterate your CNS and it would take a while but I like that idea better than one event that is attempting to generalize a very broad spectrum of each bending discipline with one narrow event.

Edited by vikingsrule92

There's a pretty good likelihood the allowable wrap diameter will be 1.25". And that is measured without a nail inside the wraps. This should be enough padding for the softest of hands.

Just went to a Tandy Leather store in the south St. Louis area to get my wraps cut to contest specs. After the test drive of the wraps this morning, I feel really good about the allowed thickness on the wraps.

One small question I just thought of this morning. Will all the bends of bolts and big spikes be done with the heads cut off? This will make quite a difference with how tightly one can wrap the big spikes and bolts for the braced bends.

Just went to a Tandy Leather store in the south St. Louis area to get my wraps cut to contest specs. After the test drive of the wraps this morning, I feel really good about the allowed thickness on the wraps.

One small question I just thought of this morning. Will all the bends of bolts and big spikes be done with the heads cut off? This will make quite a difference with how tightly one can wrap the big spikes and bolts for the braced bends.

I will be cutting (and calibrating) the bolts and nails to the nominal lengths. If I can do this by removing the head I will, but if not I will cut the other end.

Honestly, I'm dicouraged by there only being 4 events and the rigidity of the contest. Plus the fact that I am terrible at reversed and 8" stuff. I will consider it but we'll have to wait and see what airfare prices are. When we were discussing this I was thinking more along the lines of the Brit All bending comp with a marathon of events and a broader selestion of steel sizes, but with horseshoes instead of snapping. I know that would utterly obliterate your CNS and it would take a while but I like that idea better than one event that is attempting to generalize a very broad spectrum of each bending discipline with one narrow event.

Steel prices factored into my event selection, as did time considerations. That being said, I think the events are representative of both the popular styles of bending, as well as the broad categories.

Steel prices factored into my event selection, as did time considerations. That being said, I think the events are representative of both the popular styles of bending, as well as the broad categories.

I'm aware that both of those did its just in my opinion I'd rather pay a higher comp entry fee and destroy my CNS and have, what I believe to be, a more enjoyable comp. Also I feel like, as a fairly elite braced bender, that broader braced ranges should be given to better test a braced strength set. I don't feel like braced should need to be standardized in length to show real strength differences by person and that by doing that, unless you can find a very vast range of spikes and steel, you are, in fact, constraining and minimizing the strength differences in competitors. I'm starting to feel like Rex at this point but this is the way I feel. Obviously its your comp so run it how you please I'm just stating that I would have been more swayed to come regardless of the cost to me if it was more like the British comp.

don't be a pussy cat

I'm aware that both of those did its just in my opinion I'd rather pay a higher comp entry fee and destroy my CNS and have, what I believe to be, a more enjoyable comp. Also I feel like, as a fairly elite braced bender, that broader braced ranges should be given to better test a braced strength set. I don't feel like braced should need to be standardized in length to show real strength differences by person and that by doing that, unless you can find a very vast range of spikes and steel, you are, in fact, constraining and minimizing the strength differences in competitors. I'm starting to feel like Rex at this point but this is the way I feel. Obviously its your comp so run it how you please I'm just stating that I would have been more swayed to come regardless of the cost to me if it was more like the British comp.

What if I throw in a six-pack of O' Douls ?

• 1 month later...

For any potential competitors not aware, I have the details of the contest pinned in the contests forum. You can pose questions and offer advice in that thread.

DeSouza for sure whats the charge again?

DeSouza for sure whats the charge again?

$40