The Steel Slayer Showdown

EricMilfeld

Im definitely considering this. It sounds awesome! The only thing that might be stopping me is a lack of cash. Driving is not an option for me so Id have to fly.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EricMilfeld

• Paul Knight

• jpmmkrahling

• cemery

Im definitely considering this. It sounds awesome! The only thing that might be stopping me is a lack of cash. Driving is not an option for me so Id have to fly.

you could stay at my house and we would feed you - that'll save some loot. However, I may feed you things like: rice cakes, raman noodles, cardboard and things-of-the-like with no nutritional value so that it may give me the edge in competition

Add me to the list. I am changing my other plans. I can not pass up on the chance to compete in a bending only competition with some of the best guys in the field.

Now i just need to find out what kind of single wraps we can use for the braced & horse shoes (standard leathers?). This way i can practice with what we will compete with. It sounds like the DO & Reverse are set so i can just practice like it was a red nail cert, right?

This may indicate a sociological difference. Gripsters are more 'put up or shut up', and enjoy competition. Benders view what they do more in terms of personal progression, evaluating themselves without 'face to face' reference to others. It's instructive that both the GB bending certs and the FBBC certs don't require the bends to be done in competition (only Bob's list requires that, and it's not updated much or discussed much). Grip, on the other hand, has lots of 'must be done in competition' lists. This may not be accidental.

-Rex

I dont know about this, I wont be attending because it's far away and because I have completly lost the desire to bend. Back when I was more into it though I would've liked nothing more than to a face to face competetion

Stump, yes, your own single wraps will be the requirement. The ring will probably measure somewhere between 1" and 1 1/4" in diameter. I think this is sufficient hand protection without adding a lot of leverage.

Mike, I'm thrilled you'll be able to join us!

Caolan, I can certainly relate to the financial burden of purchasing air fare, but if you can swing it we'd love to have you. You've been killing some big steel!

you could stay at my house and we would feed you - that'll save some loot. However, I may feed you things like: rice cakes, raman noodles, cardboard and things-of-the-like with no nutritional value so that it may give me the edge in competition

thanks for the offer Paul if I decide to come down, your place it is. That food is probably better than my current diet of beer and fast food, might make me stronger. You dont need to worry about me beating you though I dont think I even remember how to bend a horseshoe :laugh. I'll let you know in july or august whether I'll be coming down. I also noticed on the FBBC site that youre the first ''sexabastard''. You should change the certified BKOAB in your name to certified sexabastard, sounds so much better :laugh

Thanks Eric Id love to be able to come down and meet some of the big names in grip. I totally forgot about sending you another vid for the top 20 list... I'll get to work on that right away ;)

Eric,

Please add me to the list buddy. And if you don't mind. . . . make sure you have stock that I can bend. you know, 16 penny nails, 1/4" braced stuff, ultralights and so on . . . . :blush

thanks for the offer Paul if I decide to come down, your place it is. That food is probably better than my current diet of beer and fast food, might make me stronger. You dont need to worry about me beating you though I dont think I even remember how to bend a horseshoe :laugh . I'll let you know in july or august whether I'll be coming down. I also noticed on the FBBC site that youre the first ''sexabastard''. You should change the certified BKOAB in your name to certified sexabastard, sounds so much better :laugh

Thanks Eric Id love to be able to come down and meet some of the big names in grip. I totally forgot about sending you another vid for the top 20 list... I'll get to work on that right away ;)

haha - I didn't know that was up - cool, I guess it's offically called the "Sexabastard" - thanks John

What is this, why are no more guys interested in this?!?? I wouldn't hesitate if it wasn't for the small fact that I live in sweden...but the prospect of meeting and talking with the elite guys in real life almost makes me drool, lol

These kind of events could make bending grow as a sport, so what are you all waiting for :rock:rock:rock ?

The wraps would be my guess. Then there is the economy vs. location and I would agree with Rex's post to a degree.

Eric,

Please add me to the list buddy. And if you don't mind. . . . make sure you have stock that I can bend. you know, 16 penny nails, 1/4" braced stuff, ultralights and so on . . . . :blush

Alright, Casey! There will be steel for everyone. But with some focused training between now and then I will be expecting a lot more from you. :D

And I'm really getting excited about bending again. I've done almost none of it for several months, so I was very happy to take down a piece of 3/8 x 7" National brand hrs last night. This stuff feels about like an Edgin, maybe a little tougher to kink. I need to go buy some horseshoes and a lot more bending stock, and somehow convince Sandy that this is a wise investment.

Eric,

Alright, Casey! There will be steel for everyone. But with some focused training between now and then I will be expecting a lot more from you. :D

And I'm really getting excited about bending again. I've done almost none of it for several months, so I was very happy to take down a piece of 3/8 x 7" National brand hrs last night. This stuff feels about like an Edgin, maybe a little tougher to kink. I need to go buy some horseshoes and a lot more bending stock, and somehow convince Sandy that this is a wise investment.

Let me know how you do that !! :laugh:laugh

Eric,

If I'm back in Texas by that date, I'll be at the contest as a sponsor with some of my goodies for the winners, if not, i'll just send some cash. I'll let you know as the time gets closer.

Eric,

If I'm back in Texas by that date, I'll be at the contest as a sponsor with some of my goodies for the winners, if not, i'll just send some cash. I'll let you know as the time gets closer.

Weldon, that's a very generous offer! Thank you. It'll be great to see you again.

Fine tuning the rules, I've decided to contest the braced event with 8" stock to save on steel costs, which will be significant for a contest like this. Also, trying to strike a balance between saving time, keeping the snooze level down :ohmy , and not rushing the competitors I will be allowing 3 minutes for all the bends other than reverse, of course.

I have a few things that are up in the air right now so to say with my job and where I'm living but Texas isn't all that far for me and I would very much like to be able to make it. I don't know that I will be providing much competition but I would love to go just watch even and meet some of you bastards.

I can't promise anything but I might try and get my ass in gear and scroll up something for the winners if that is something you might be interested in.

I have a few things that are up in the air right now so to say with my job and where I'm living but Texas isn't all that far for me and I would very much like to be able to make it. I don't know that I will be providing much competition but I would love to go just watch even and meet some of you bastards.

I can't promise anything but I might try and get my ass in gear and scroll up something for the winners if that is something you might be interested in.

Now showing up and not competing would just be ridiculous. :D But you should come, either way.

Hey, that would be fantastic if you could make a scroll!

Dewd!!!!!!!!!! one of your scrolls would be a badass prize!

thad be awesome if you could make it Tim :rock

I agree, Tim your scrolls would be really cool. I wish it would be mine but i do not have much of a chance to win this thing. But i do not plan on flying down there to come in last place either!

Paul / Eric

What about food? Eating is one of my favorite past times, and seeing all these shows on TV about texas barbaque, pulled pork, ribs etc.. are there any good places close by to gain a couple of pounds? What would be better then destroying some steel, drinking beer & good food!!!!

Mike, beer, steel, and probably even barbecue will be had at the contest. :) Maybe even in that order.

I agree, Tim your scrolls would be really cool. I wish it would be mine but i do not have much of a chance to win this thing. But i do not plan on flying down there to come in last place either!

Paul / Eric

What about food? Eating is one of my favorite past times, and seeing all these shows on TV about texas barbaque, pulled pork, ribs etc.. are there any good places close by to gain a couple of pounds? What would be better then destroying some steel, drinking beer & good food!!!!

tons of steak/barbaque places - more than you could shake a stick at

Paul / Eric

tons of steak/barbaque places - more than you could shake a stick at

One of which we ate at today on our way home from my daughter's high school graduation. It's called The Hard Eight Pit BBQ, and the one we hit was in Stephenville. Check it out. You hand pick how much of the various meat selections you want and after they weigh it you pay. Very affordable, too! Some of sides, including the beans, are all you can eat. Really succulent brisket. So then I ask for a beer and the cute little girl asks if I'd care for two. I told her I'd start with one and she responded by telling me I could just as easily grab two. Now I'm confused and inquired if I had mistakenly paid for two. Then she responded with the sweetest words I've ever heard: "The beer is free". My wife made a comment about this possibly being Germany. I said, "No, this is heaven".

I'm in for sure on this one Doc.

I'm in for sure on this one Doc.

Very good news. :rock

I'd really like to show up to this one if my work schedule would allow it!

That would be great!