Spike Question

mgjenn23

I was at Lowes today looking for timber spikes but they didn't have them. They did have 8 and 10" hot galvanized nails. How do those compare in toughness compared to the shiny, "regular" spikes? Thanks.

Are you looking for 60d nails(1/4"x6")? Because if so, the 10 and 8" spikes are MUCH harder in comparison

I was looking for the 12" timber spikes like you get in the FBBC bender's bag. So I was wondering how those compared to the 10" galvanized nails (spikes) I saw at lowes.

I was looking for the 12" timber spikes like you get in the FBBC bender's bag. So I was wondering how those compared to the 10" galvanized nails (spikes) I saw at lowes.

The 12" spikes are definitely easier than the 10" and so on because of the increase leverage, etc. I would definitely start-off with the 12" spikes first, otherwise you might get disheartened by the sudden increase in difficulty with the shorter lengths. The FBBC type spikes are harder than the Home Depot/Lowes equivelants, but not much harder.

The 10" spikes from Lowes IMO are going to be more difficult than a 12" FBBC type, but a 12" FBBC spike will be marginally harder than a 12" Home Depot/Lowes brand(ie:Gripright) spike :blink

Does that make sense?

In other words, start with a 12" gripright brand spike(Ie:the home depot/Lowes brand) first!

Edited by naturalstrength

I was at Lowes today looking for timber spikes but they didn't have them. They did have 8 and 10" hot galvanized nails. How do those compare in toughness compared to the shiny, "regular" spikes? Thanks.

If you're asking how the galvanized compares to shiny, I have tough versions of both and easy of both.

Tim