Which Bending Style Most Prone To Injuries?

naturalstrength

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which bending style do you feel is most "injury prone"?

• Double Overhand(DO)
    • Double Underhand(DU)
    • Reverse

Was working on some big braced bends yesterday and decided to perform some unbraced bending. Unfortunately, I heard a loud "snap,crackle,pop" when performing a strict double underhand bend in minimal padding. Just interested to see what you guys feel is your most "injury prone" bending style

Edited by naturalstrength

They're all dangerous, especially if you explode into the steel. I voted DO because last year at BBB, Ben tore his rotator cuff doing it and I got a sore wrist that wouldn't go away for months and I did something to my palm to where everytime I pinched anything at all with my wrist in an extended position, it felt like I was grabbing onto an electric fence; took several months to go away. Needless to say I'm done with DO.

I chose Reverse, but I guess you could get injured pretty bad on all three +

I know Chris developed a shoulder problem from DO and I've bothered my wrists from DU, but I've hade more pain in my elbow from reverse than the other styles injuries combined - I think though that if you work through those injuries and keep coming back - you can be even tougher than before, but that can def seperate the men from the boys, because there is too much ambiguity between an injury that can heal and causing a permanent problem

My shoulders are screwed up from long term DO, very rarely do it any more........All are potentially dangerous though.BK

DO - because like Josh said I tore my rotator cuff last BBB on just my opener 6.5" Edgin bend. Reverse is a close second for me because I still feel (slightly most of the time) the tweak that I did to my right forearm area on my first reverse Bastard from 2007.

I'm not against any of the styles though. I'd just advocate a more balanced approach to bending. Like going the opposite route from what I took and moderating your volume and frequency. Or maybe my body was just weak and would've been destroyed from knitting.

DO for me :-)

reverse its damm hard but i never get any injury from it.

its easy for the average joe to get hurt by crushing one heavy piece of steel.

Ive never gotten injured from bending, but Im gonna go with DO especially with the longer stock. Seems to put alot of stress on the shoulders

Ripped some muscles in the shoulder using DO, so, DO it is.

voted DO . have had pains in my shoulder for about 1 year maybe more after a failed bend.. hardly bend DO anymore.

DO sure wake my shoulder's up if I go hard they hurt for awhile !

Reverse jacked up my thumb and i think strained my ulnar collateral ligiment in my right forarm. Eric watched that one happen probably 5 years ago. I gave bending up mostly after that.

Risk reward on it was a little out of whack for me personally. I respect the heck out of those that keep at it.

Here are a few experiences I have had with the various styles.

DU: Tweaked wrist.

Reverse: Tweaked wrist; Bone bruised thumbs.

DO: Broke my Left Hand; Bone bruised index fingers.

So I have to go with DO.

So I have to go with DO.

Ouch!!!!!!! :blink:blink:blink

The responses have been interesting thus far. It appears that DO is responsible for most injuries, with reverse claiming the second place for most injuries. I have personally sustained most serious injuries with Double Underhand(DU), but I always perform it in "strict" style, pinkies touching. I have tried the "modified" DU and can easily bend grade 8 bolts, but find that this style is much "easier" than the traditional DU technique. Just my personal feelings/experiences.

i think DU, any time ive tried it i feel like my wrists are in a jeopardizing position and they feel like they are about to get injured. Never had an issue with DO

So I have to go with DO.

Ouch!!!!!!! :blink:blink:blink

The responses have been interesting thus far. It appears that DO is responsible for most injuries, with reverse claiming the second place for most injuries. I have personally sustained most serious injuries with Double Underhand(DU), but I always perform it in "strict" style, pinkies touching. I have tried the "modified" DU and can easily bend grade 8 bolts, but find that this style is much "easier" than the traditional DU technique. Just my personal feelings/experiences.

yea man strict DU kills my wrists. But I figure most people (myself included) bend modified DU so thats why I voted for DO

i am aiming to do a 60D in every way at the moment but the training for it has been really tough and ive decided to take 2 weeks off.

too many DO iso's in small wraps is making everty joint in my hands ache but its only temporary and is toughening them up really well

DU isos hurt while im doing them, i have weak wrists though

the only thing im really worried about is the way my left elbow aches crazy bad after a limit reverse attempt.

i put reverse for that reason

Do is my vote.I tore my rotator cuff in December and its still not 100%