Timber Spikes

mgjenn23

As a newbie, I can't tell you how grateful I am for all the advice, video demonstrations and encouragement this board provides to those starting out, so many thanks to all of you. So, if I may pick your brains again; what tips can you give a beginner for bending 12" timber spikes? I realize there's a lot of "feel" and finding a comfort zone involved but any advice you can give me I'd appreciate it. My first attempt last night going over my thigh and then bracing it on my knee and pulling back, ended in a 30deg bend after a 5min fight with much sweating, grunting and cursing.

Thanks again.--Mike

I never had any luck bending over my thigh so i usually start it on my knee. I added the link to my 12" spike bend below. There are alot of videos you can find on you tube for this type of braced bending.

Get some lind of wraps for the ends of the spike and wrap them really tight so they do not start to slip during the pull. Then put the center over your knee (with some kind of pad underneath) and start your pull. I find that trying to push my hips forward gives me more energy then just pulling backwards against your knee. Make sure you breath!!! I find that by taking a deep breath first and forcing the air out while your jaw is closed tight, generates to most power. You can also try moving your grip out as far as possible on the ends of the bar. As i did shorter bends, i would put the wraps half on & half off the ends of the spike and did the same with my hands.

Once you get it bent as far as possible over you knee, put it between your thighs and squeeze. Make sure you keep your hands on the ends of the bar and start it as high as possible but keep your feet together. I find that almost bending at the knees & hips works the best and then you just have to stand up from there. Also make sure you are wearing shoes that can grip the ground really good. If not your feet will slip and you wil loose all that power that your legs are generating.

Check out the video, i have others listed as braced bending on my you tube page also you could reference. Also check out others on youtube. There are some people that after they bend it over thier thigh or knee, they put on the top of thier thigh and grab the other end with one hand and then proceed to bend over folding the spike in the process. So find the different videos and try the different styles to find what works best for you. Good Luck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKXdwIzCRTM...re=channel_page

I know the over the thigh feels weird at first, but for big braced stuff I feel it is superior in the long run. Especially if you intend to do any show type stuff where you might want to use less or no padding for the bend. Your big leg muscles will condition and take a TON of abuse, the thin skin of your shin always needs padding on bigger stuff.

I am not saying to not row stuff, it is certainly good to work that too, just be careful of the position you get your back into as people have been injured doing this. Also don't neglect the thigh push, it will come up quickly with some work.

One last thing as far as feeling the groove, try and find the position where you can BRACE the best. That is the whole advantage with this type of bending, find the most stable and strong position where you can lay the most power into the bar without needing to stabilize it very much, stability and power are proportional. Meaning the more stable you are the more power you can put out. You wouldn't be able to squat nearly as much balancing on one leg on a wobble board as planted solid with both legs in some tight laced chucks right? Try and apply that logic when you are finding a braced position.

Once you get it bent as far as possible over you knee, put it between your thighs and squeeze.

There are also other alternative crush techniques. Tim Tolbert has well proven the advantage of the between the legs crush, but again it is good to try different stuff to see where you feel the strongest. I still prefer crushing down on the thigh. I do it similar to big steve, only I crush on the same side instead of going across to the opposite leg as he does.

Both work well and people are different.

Paul also shows another variation of this style with the bar facing in the other direction. This works for me too, but again I don't feel quite as strong.

Once you get it bent as far as possible over you knee, put it between your thighs and squeeze.

There are also other alternative crush techniques. Tim Tolbert has well proven the advantage of the between the legs crush, but again it is good to try different stuff to see where you feel the strongest. I still prefer crushing down on the thigh. I do it similar to big steve, only I crush on the same side instead of going across to the opposite leg as he does.

Both work well and people are different.

Paul also shows another variation of this style with the bar facing in the other direction. This works for me too, but again I don't feel quite as strong.

Well said!