261.5lb 2hp By Wade

MalachiMcMullen

Too late now but for the benefit of others... before I got the set up and on the occasions I train at the other gym I use I merely use a 2" thick rod and 2 x 15-kilo plates (those training it in the US can use 2 x 35lb plates) of whatever thickness you care for (mine were usually 70mm in that gym). I know that when I drop down to the usual thickness I can add at least 5-kilos or 11lbs. Just slip on some spring clip type collars and add weight outside those and more collars if need be.

As I said earlier others have used wooden planks and blocks with a heavy screwed in hook and a loading pin. The smoother the wood the harder the lift.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• MalachiMcMullen

• The Mac

• The Natural

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done Wade, good work.

You've given yourself a bit of a rod for your own back though claiming it as an unofficial World Record. In the end it's something you're capable of I am sure - it's just bound to get up people's noses.

Yeah. It doesn't burn my ass really, but I can see how some would be annoyed. My diagnosis, for what it's worth, is this. Wade has been reading comments on the GB like this:

As one of the very few to compete overseas and more so in the US I hope I have a handle on what needs to be done. As for the pinch... my pinch is just fine at the mo. I did 5 singles with 107.7-kilos / 237+lbs followed by some heavy 2" V-Bar work, then some heavy new and heavy old RT work. It was a good day. I've no idea how Mikeal might arrive at what he calls the 3 best. It might be interesting. For me all I need to do is refer to the list he started many moons ago and which Eric now looks after - the top three is it. Simple.

Steve is saying basically that someone who believes he is the best at pinch (Wade believes he's the best) but isn't at the top of the list is in an uncomfortable situation. I think Steve is right about some things and wrong about some other things. He's right in thinking that it is a strike against the credibility of the person's claim to be the best. We've got lots of data about 2HP. It's the single best universal pinch test out there, in fact. So not putting up a great number on the Euro is no good if you're wanting to be the best. On the other hand, being the best at pinch is about being the overall best ALL PINCH WIDTHS, ALL PINCH SET-UPS considered. Pinching blobs isn't like pinching a 2HP. Pinching 45's, even, is not like pinching a 2HP. The correlations amongst them are not very strong. So it's very possible to be good at 2HP but not so good on the other things. Wade is #1 on blobs right now, and #1 on plate pinching. So the only thing that remains is for him to show he's top level on 2HP, whether he wants to do that unofficially or officially. I don't think he'd even need to be #1 on 2HP to be considered the best at pinch, since that title is about overall strength. Top 3 would be sufficient, I think. But the lift would need to be done on official Euro. Getting too specific about equipment is silly (Blob50 verus York blob), but what Wade is using is significantly different than a Euro, and so the 'unofficial world recod' business is inappropriate. That's my only gripe about it. If Wade wants to pull 270 on a Euro in Jackal's Gym and call it unofficial, cool; I'd love to see that. He would call it unofficial, so complaining about his lift not being done in competition is neither here nor there. I gave him the info about Scott George. Getting a 2HP set-up is just a matter of putting in the order. And of course there's the option of just going to a comp and use the one there.

In any case, bad-ass lift. I certainly don't want it to die a death of a thousand qualifications, which so often happens on this board.

-Rex

Edited by The Natural

Well done Wade, good work.

You've given yourself a bit of a rod for your own back though claiming it as an unofficial World Record. In the end it's something you're capable of I am sure - it's just bound to get up people's noses.

Not claiming it as a world record. How would you rather me word it as the most weight lifted in this disipline? David has the world record and I recognize that as the world record. I can change the wording if people are uptight about it.

Leave the wording. It hasn't bothered anyone.

double post there. let's this try edit again...

-Rex

Edited by The Natural

On the video it clearly states "World Record (Unofficial)".

Now, I'd have no problem with that claim if it was on the Euro Pinch set-up (which, as you've stated, you've yet to have access to) but it is on a completely different set up, and, as we know, it's not the most weight ever pinched.

Yes, I like to get things "right" (hey, I used to be an accountant and have worked for the Inland Revenue) but I suspect someone seeing it on Youtube who didn't know too much about the sport would be pretty damned confused by this conversation we are having now (heck, I am). As part of the ongoing drive to get the sport more recognition and acceptance I would suggest that we try and be as clear as possible at all times.

Again, it's a fantastic lift.

Wade,

Its tough being on top :rolleyes

^^^Look guys! I can post totally relevant stuff too!!!^^^

Zach. On my knees here - edit for crying out loud. As for men not always seeing eye to eye... it happens. 118-kilos on any set up is a heavy ass lift.

Zach - no need for a Filibuster attempt here - we have all the time in the world

Zach. On my knees here - edit for crying out loud. As for men not always seeing eye to eye... it happens. 118-kilos on any set up is a heavy ass lift.

Winston's speeches have that effect on people... And that's the point. No need to complain and build a massive thread around an argument that arose when someone simply mentioned how someone might get offended by something written on another website. I'm trying to annoy people into not replying to this thread and, in case it doesn't work, I would like to apologize to Wade for opening up another can of worms that I didn't see coming.

Endless bickering cheapens the gripboard and is one of the reasons so many people view a few times and leave.

When we meet you might offer an opinion I wont agree with. It happens. It doesn't mean you get to stand on some soap box and quote Winston Churchill. Posts like that get deleted and make work for the mods including the handing out of warnings (having been on the end of a few take it from me it's not fun). I'm not one for saying this or that kind of blob, which are all pretty close anyway (as near as be damned) are that off. BUT the 2HP is a well recognized lift. On both sides of the pond many (maybe even ALL of the main ones) events now use a Euro set up or a replica.

With that clearly recognized FACT a lift on anything else is not either an official or unofficial world record. That both a 21 year old Gabriel Sum and a much older (he he) David Horne have exceeded 118-kilos using a wooden block (Gabriel) and a plank (David) is not up for debate. It's there. It cannot be bickered, argued or debated.

Is the set up Wade used similar - of course. Is it a heavy ass lift - no doubt. Is it an unofficial record... no. I was as excited as the next guy when I saw the video. Be it as it may that I wish to be the record holder I also like seeing the bar raised. But literally the moment I left the house for my 1st workout of the day I remembered Gabriel and David's lifts. Both are 2-kilos/4.4lbs more. Not even a fine orator like Winston could say otherwise.

Regardless I agree that a little access to the official set up and we'll see Wade pulling some special numbers real soon.

Edited by mobsterone

Zach, whilst I understand what you are trying to say, I can't see how discussing what is after all the pinnacle of our sport (a World Record) can be pointless bickering - I am being quite genuine here.

I don't understand the argument. Wade's pinch was incredible but even if it was 300# it couldn't be the record because it's not the same device. I think Wade's device looks harder than the real thing because it looks like it would take Brzenk-like wrist strength to tilt it. I think Wade will pull at least 261.5 on the Euro at Chad's contest. The plank comparison doesn't work for me because it's easy to tilt a plank.

The plank comparision was, I believe, to show it wasn't the heaviest weight ever Two-Hand Pinched on ANY apparatus.

The plank comparision was, I believe, to show it wasn't the heaviest weight ever Two-Hand Pinched on ANY apparatus.

Well, that makes sense :D

I don't understand the argument. Wade's pinch was incredible but even if it was 300# it couldn't be the record because it's not the same device. I think Wade's device looks harder than the real thing because it looks like it would take Brzenk-like wrist strength to tilt it. I think Wade will pull at least 261.5 on the Euro at Chad's contest. The plank comparison doesn't work for me because it's easy to tilt a plank.

It's good we see eye to eye for once, Josh. :D

-Rex

Blah blah blah.....

Wade congrats on the big lift!! I look forward to seeing the 2hp numbers rise in the future. I wonder when 300lbs will be reached..

Zach the advise re letting Wade know personally applies to any difference of opinion you might have. I await a PM :D

It might be worth pointing out that it was you that posted the link to the video here and Wade that added the unofficial record part to his title when posting the video to youtube. Besides Wafe now knows what's what.

Also is he competing at Chad's event or not? Is that 'official' ;) ?

Edited by mobsterone

Guys, I seriously mean no disrespect to the official record or the person that holds it. It's one of the few grip records I actually recognize because there has been standardization. I have been chasing David's record for a number of years (in the gym) and when I would reach it it would get bumped back up again. I finally exceeded it on what i think is a very close implement to the Euro, and in my opinion probably a bit harder once I have time to work with the euro. What I meant to say is "more weight than the world record of 115kg but not done in competition so not a world record" - hard to put that on a video title. If you check the video description it says this:

Wade Gillingham Two Hand Pinching 261.5lbs, a weight exceeding the current world record of 253.5lbs, on 5/6/2009 at Jackal's Gym. www.jackalsgym.com

I thought the "unofficial" was self explanatory when combined with the video title. When I get 5 minutes I will change the video.

Get more than 120kilos anyhow Wade. Then :rock da world! In the meantime... I hope you do anti up at Chad's and pull something nasty!

Double post (browser froze).

Edited by mobsterone

Zach the advise re letting Wade know personally applies to any difference of opinion you might have. I await a PM :D

It might be worth pointing out that it was you that posted the link to the video here and Wade that added the unofficial record part to his title when posting the video to youtube. Besides Wafe now knows what's what.

Also is he competing at Chad's event or not? Is that 'official' ;) ?

Sooooooooo... what's the argument? Wade knows what's what, you know what's what, everyone whose posted here knows what's what. Who are you guys afraid the title of that video will confuse? Eric? I think he knows what to put on the list and what not and you all know that too.

There is no need to get up in arms over who calls what a world record, official or otherwise. If it isn't, it isn't and everyone knows.

Final post (I promise). It's thus: we know what we know. Those we wish to join in wont. Joe Roark has spent many, many hours pointing out how easily misconceptions, titles and the like have become even more confused over time. If for nothing else but clarity and history...

PM replied to :cool

Great lift Wade, hope you make it out to Chads comp.

I agree on both parts. Lifting like that, I want to meet you!

Of course, everyone on this board is my hero. (Minus the guys in the #2..5 challenge... when I close mine tomorrow. :P)

Michael