Forearm Size

Grippster

Shouldn't bodyweight be an important variable too?

Absolutely!

I was about to mention this factor.

A 14" forearm flexed and straight is big if it's on a 165lb man vs. a 300lb man.

In 2009 at the ROTN Arm Wrestling Championships in Kansas City Rob Vingent pulled out

the ole handy dandy tape measure after numerous AW'er made claims to their forearm size.

Come to find out nearly every single claimant was 1" off (less) than what they initially claimed.

My right forearm measured 13", straight, cold, and flexed. My BW is 205 and I'm just shy of 5' 7" tall.

My forearms look larger than they measure due to my short stature and my short forearms (9").

Not calling anyone a liar here, just keeping things in perspective. :)

I read long ago truly "maxed out" forearms would be simply twice the size of the measured wrist. This is with the forearm held straight. The largest I ever saw on a "normal" being had 8 1/2' wrists and get this.... 17 1/2" held straight forearm( not pumped either). I measured him several times! Just amazing! ":Mr. Tyrone" as everyone called him was a real man! At my best my wrist was about 7 1/4" and forearm 14 3/4" straight 16 1/4 flexed if my memory serves correctly. RS

• 3 weeks later...

I'll contribute my stats as well...

R Wrist - 8"

L Wrist - 8"

R Forearm - 15 1/4" (cold, goose-neck)

L Forearm - 15" (cold, goose-neck)

Height: 6'2"

Weight: 248 lbs

Hand size:

Spread, pinky to thumb: 9.5"

Wrist to end of middle finger: 8.5"

• 12 years later...

I'm 15, I weigh 135 lbs, I have been working out for 2 years, but only one year with equipment, my forearm width is 15 inches, I train arm wrestling and work construction, and my biceps are 13.5 inches, which means my forearms are 1.5 inches bigger than my biceps. It's weird I know, but I double and triple-checked. I have beaten other arm wrestlers weighing in at 185 lean and 215 bulky, and I can do a full planche, muscle up, iron cross, and one arm pullup. I am also a gymnast, but I live in the mountains so I only have crappy gymnastics places to go to, but it is better than nothing. I am rather lean, as I am 5'7, but not too lean.

compared to the rest of my body, I have pretty big forearms.

I can close the 200lb grip trainer easily, and I am almost to 250.

I have a home gym, but no straps,  so I do all lifts strapless on top of arm wrestling/grip training.

23 hours ago, Jared H said:

I'm 15, I weigh 135 lbs, I have been working out for 2 years, but only one year with equipment, my forearm width is 15 inches, I train arm wrestling and work construction, and my biceps are 13.5 inches, which means my forearms are 1.5 inches bigger than my biceps. It's weird I know, but I double and triple-checked. I have beaten other arm wrestlers weighing in at 185 lean and 215 bulky, and I can do a full planche, muscle up, iron cross, and one arm pullup. I am also a gymnast, but I live in the mountains so I only have crappy gymnastics places to go to, but it is better than nothing. I am rather lean, as I am 5'7, but not too lean.

I have a home gym, but no straps,  so I do all lifts strapless on top of arm wrestling/grip training.

To be honest, your measurements might be off. A 15-inch forearm is extremely large, especially at 135 lbs. How are you measuring it? We usually measure with the arms straight and the wrists unbent. For your weight, a 15-inch forearm would be enormous—comparable to prime John Brzenk. If your measurements are correct, then you might just be one of those naturally gifted guys with big forearms and hands, like Artur, for instance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alawadhi said:

To be honest, your measurements might be off. A 15-inch forearm is extremely large, especially at 135 lbs. How are you measuring it? We usually measure with the arms straight and the wrists unbent. For your weight, a 15-inch forearm would be enormous—comparable to prime John Brzenk. If your measurements are correct, then you might just be one of those naturally gifted guys with big forearms and hands, like Artur, for instance.

I will send a photo. I don't know if I am measuring right, Cuz I am still kinda new into grip training.

Nobody has a 15 inch forearm width. That would be a 1.25' wide limb, wider than your torso.

Even if you meant to say circumference which is how this measurement is made, that would still be considered abnormally large, and you're likely measuring incorrectly.

On 9/16/2024 at 11:51 AM, Jared H said:

15" forearm on a 5'7" 135 lb body is freakshow level proportions(Not sure I believe this is possible even if enhanced).  I weigh 85-90lbs more than you and have 13.5" forearms measured cold and straight.  If I do the bent elbow and wrist flexed (gooseneck) forearm measurement I get 14.67-14.75" I might get 15"(again gooseneck measurement) if I got a serious pump going.   Random people will comment on my forearms unsolicited, so I could only imagine the comments you get if your measurements are accurate.  You would be a real life popeye.  Now, my upper arms are about 2.5-3.5" bigger than my forearms, but these are honest measurements, not "bro-tape" measurements.  I'll add a link to one of my youtube videos to give you some context, you can see a decent view of my forearms in the first 15-20 seconds.  While no one would call me lean or "ripped", I'm not particularly fat and my arms are reasonably defined.  I'd be real curious to see pics of the proportions you are claiming.

Edited by RiotGrip
  • Like 1

On 9/16/2024 at 8:51 AM, Jared H said:

HEH. Sooooo, I kinda got the measurements wrong as many of you said...

I was measuring from the elbow around the forearm cuz I thought that was the largest part of the forearm.

My brother told me to measure perpendicular to the wrist, and I got 13.5 cold...

so, the mystery is solved! I am just an idiot who got the measurements wrong.

Also flexed and wrist bent...

Edited by Jared H
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jared H said:

HEH. Sooooo, I kinda got the measurements wrong as many of you said...

I was measuring from the elbow around the forearm cuz I thought that was the largest part of the forearm.

My brother told me to measure perpendicular to the wrist, and I got 13.5 cold...

so, the mystery is solved! I am just an idiot who got the measurements wrong.

Also flexed and wrist bent...

Perpendicular to the wrist would be wrong as well...did you mean parallel? It's not really that hard of a measurement, a quick google image search will show you endless pictures of how to measure it:

image.thumb.jpeg.cb2c9de07cc13d0cc74130c9b353f6d4.jpeg

• Like 1