Sledge Lever Carry Over

Mark

Since as most of you know I do not have much money for nails so I am using what I have available to work on and supplementing with other exercises.

What bending style will receive the most cary over from levering away from the nose. That is my strongest levering.

Since as most of you know I do not have much money for nails so I am using what I have available to work on and supplementing with other exercises.

What bending style will receive the most cary over from levering away from the nose. That is my strongest levering.

most likely du, both "classical" as well as modern form, and I'm also sure that the anchoring hand in reverse will be stronger from levering.

I'm not an expert here, but I'd say OH levering is going to help the most with DU style since it trains ulnar deviation (right term?). Front levering should help strengthen Reverse style since your anchoring hand will be pulling toward you vs. with DU you're trying to force your wrists downward. Any levering will probably help in all styles though.

Edited by easyWeight

Levering in every direction helps all styles, but inparticular reverse. Don't forget that on maximum effort bends the steel moves when you are strong enough to lock your wrists and drive in, not when you can bend the steel solely with wrist movement. So dynamic movements like levering to the nose wont carry over as much as you would think. The rear lever is the best thing to train for DU, look at any of the top DU bender's rear levers as evidence. I find that the stronger my front lever gets, the stronger my DO bending gets. I've been working my front levers hard these past few weeks and just moved a tough bar yesterday that I wouldn't have moved before heavy sledge training.

I'm not an expert here, but I'd say OH levering is going to help the most with DU style since it trains ulnar deviation (right term?). Front levering should help strengthen Reverse style since your anchoring hand will be pulling toward you vs. with DU you're trying to force your wrists downward. Any levering will probably help in all styles though.

Yeah, but in reverse you use the anchoring hand in to ulnar deviation, bending the nail over the meat between your thumb and index finger, while the driving hand is used in radial deviation, bending the nail over your index finger. So levering to the nose should strengthen the anchor hand, and front lever should strengthen the driving hand :)

Levering in every direction helps all styles, but inparticular reverse. Don't forget that on maximum effort bends the steel moves when you are strong enough to lock your wrists and drive in, not when you can bend the steel solely with wrist movement. So dynamic movements like levering to the nose wont carry over as much as you would think. The rear lever is the best thing to train for DU, look at any of the top DU bender's rear levers as evidence. I find that the stronger my front lever gets, the stronger my DO bending gets. I've been working my front levers hard these past few weeks and just moved a tough bar yesterday that I wouldn't have moved before heavy sledge training.

I am not fully sure I understand what you mean. this may be a stupid question but do you mean when you are able to have the strength to keep the steel from moving around in your hand, making the wrists tight, then exerting the force that is when the steel bends. Not when you are just trying to move the steel without trying to make the wrists and grip solid.

I am not fully sure I understand what you mean. this may be a stupid question but do you mean when you are able to have the strength to keep the steel from moving around in your hand, making the wrists tight, then exerting the force that is when the steel bends. Not when you are just trying to move the steel without trying to make the wrists and grip solid.

I think he means that the wrists are locked isometrically, and channels the power/energy from the upper body into the nail. I.e. the strength is used mainly to lock the wrists statically, meaning that no power from the upper body is lost during the bend.

Yeah, but in reverse you use the anchoring hand in to ulnar deviation, bending the nail over the meat between your thumb and index finger, while the driving hand is used in radial deviation, bending the nail over your index finger. So levering to the nose should strengthen the anchor hand, and front lever should strengthen the driving hand :)

Heh, no argument there, but with your wrist of the anchoring hand in ulnar deviation, you must flex using the muscles of the radius side (too many to name) to keep it locked into place, lest you risk moving into further ulnar deviation and subsequently losing leverage or injuring yourself. The opposite is true for the wrist in radial deviation. :D But I'm also a firm believer that strengthening one and depriving the other will lead to further weakness rather than strength. Opposing muscles are compliments, i.e. biceps/triceps, abdominals/back, etc. So working to strengthen both should hypothetically strengthen produce better results.

Edited by easyWeight

Heh, no argument there, but with your wrist of the anchoring hand in ulnar deviation, you must flex using the muscles of the radius side (too many to name) to keep it locked into place, lest you risk moving into further ulnar deviation and subsequently losing leverage or injuring yourself. The opposite is true for the wrist in radial deviation. :D But I'm also a firm believer that strengthening one and depriving the other will lead to further weakness rather than strength. Opposing muscles are compliments, i.e. biceps/triceps, abdominals/back, etc. So working to strengthen both should hypothetically strengthen produce better results.

No, not an argument, but a discussion :)

But you're very right 'bout the fact that opposing muscles are compliments, and that the hands/wrists should be trained as units, rather than parts specializing in a few specific movements. :)

I think he means that the wrists are locked isometrically, and channels the power/energy from the upper body into the nail. I.e. the strength is used mainly to lock the wrists statically, meaning that no power from the upper body is lost during the bend.

That is exactly what I mean. Henrik said it more concisely :D