Grand Shiny Race?

David_wigren

This is more like a challange than a race. Atleast no one ended it too soon, we have all had enough times to do this. I'm suprised Paul has not joined the race. It will be real interesting to see who figures it out first. We are all capable, but now i see why only 5 people have ever done it. It is no easy task. But i still like the motivation having this many of us with the same goal :rock (Thanks Dave)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David_wigren

• easyWeight

• jpmmkrahling

• cberg

This is more like a challange than a race. Atleast no one ended it too soon, we have all had enough times to do this. I'm suprised Paul has not joined the race. It will be real interesting to see who figures it out first. We are all capable, but now i see why only 5 people have ever done it. It is no easy task. But i still like the motivation having this many of us with the same goal :rock (Thanks Dave)

What? Only five people have bent a Grand Shiny? I've never thought of the Grand as an elite bend. That's crazy!

What? Only five people have bent a Grand Shiny? I've never thought of the Grand as an elite bend. That's crazy!

I think that there are many more than 5 people who have bent the grand shiny. Maybe that many in MINIMAL padding, but I can think of at least a dozen off hand otherwise ;)

I think that there are many more than 5 people who have bent the grand shiny. Maybe that many in MINIMAL padding, but I can think of at least a dozen off hand otherwise ;)

Yes there are more than 5 that can or at some point could have bent the grand shiny. Bending it now would put you on the 11th spot on the nailmans 6"list. And there are probably a few more working on other stock or not bothering to go for it. Also some people find it hard to bend short stuff like 5.5" and shorter.

There are alot more that could do it if they went for it.

And today this bach is in my opinion easier than the stock that was out a year ago(at least the stuff I'm bending now) and if I'm right about that. It would mean that there would have been a few more certed on it if they had the same stuff as I have now. And same in the other direction. If the same stock was avalible now I would have been working towards a huge shiny instead. Or a 6.25" shiny, for that is about what I think the older stock roughly compaires against this new stuff.

Or I might have just gone stronger and crazier along the line and be totally wrong about it.

yea definitely more than 5 who have either bent it or are capable of bending it. Lots of people just bend for the fun of it and dont cert on everything. For instance, Im on the huge shiny list but not on the bastard list but I can obviously bend a bastard

Edit: Just saw David's more detailed and much better response :cool

Edited by cberg

yea definitely more than 5 who have either bent it or are capable of bending it. Lots of people just bend for the fun of it and dont cert on everything. For instance, Im on the huge shiny list but not on the bastard list but I can obviously bend a bastard

I always do things before you do, and I will work hard to keep it that way ;)

Hahahahahahaha!!! :tongue:laugh

FBBC

5/16 X 5.5 GRAND SHINY BASTARD

1) BEN EDWARDS

2) AARON CORCORRAN

3) MIKE HADLAND

4) JON DARTY

Okay i worded it wrong before, i should have said only 4 people have certed with FBBC, Plus Pat P & Gazzza have certed with shorter. And there may very well be a couple of guys that have done it or can do it but i can only go by what i see on the site. Makes sens about Pat & Gazza not needing to be added but, still it is not an every day bend. I was justr making an observation, sorry if it came out wrong. I never called it an elite bend, but if it gets someone the #11 slot, its no walk in the park either. So where are these other dozen people that have bent it? Different stregths yes but we can not control that. I'm stuck bending the harder bastard stock, thats life.

Sorry if i ranted too far, i'm having a very bad day and i felt attacked

:laugh :laugh

Ok just for that Im gonna make my grand shiny vid like Rex's big shiny vid where he trash talks Derek the whole time.

Im gonna talk so much shit about you and have the time of my life doing it. O baby I cant wait :D

FBBC

1) BEN EDWARDS

2) AARON CORCORRAN

3) MIKE HADLAND

4) JON DARTY

Okay i worded it wrong before, i should have said only 4 people have certed with FBBC, Plus Pat P & Gazzza have certed with shorter. And there may very well be a couple of guys that have done it or can do it but i can only go by what i see on the site. Makes sens about Pat & Gazza not needing to be added but, still it is not an every day bend. I was justr making an observation, sorry if it came out wrong. I never called it an elite bend, but if it gets someone the #11 slot, its no walk in the park either. So where are these other dozen people that have bent it? Different stregths yes but we can not control that. I'm stuck bending the harder bastard stock, thats life.

If you felt that I might have attacked you, I appologise. That was suretantly not my intention. A grand shiny is indeed no walk in the park. I've been bending for over 2 years with several years of grip and wrist training before that and I have yet to do it

Ah, that makes much more sense :)

FBBC

1) BEN EDWARDS

2) AARON CORCORRAN

3) MIKE HADLAND

4) JON DARTY

If you felt that I might have attacked you, I appologise. That was suretantly not my intention. A grand shiny is indeed no walk in the park. I've been bending for over 2 years with several years of grip and wrist training before that and I have yet to do it

No appology needed, i just went off on a rant, i read the links back again and i took it the wrong way. I should have never replied that way. See why i bend steel, it is my form of anger management :D

FBBC

1) BEN EDWARDS

2) AARON CORCORRAN

3) MIKE HADLAND

4) JON DARTY

Yeah, I called it an elite bend. I would consider anything that few people have bent an elite bend. But, the Grand is by no means a walk in the park like you said.

Don't fret about the chit chat Mike. We're all brothers here ;) Respect.

I still consider the Grand Shiny to be an elite bend and I think most accomplished benders would agree. Gazza, Pat, Fox, Chad, Aaron, and I have all done a Mag Shiny also. I'm not on the list because I didn't pursue the cert before shutting the heavy-duty bending down. The others could no doubt do it at will. Gazza and Pat have bent a Mag Shiny (or shorter in Gazza's case) in small pads. I have bent a Grand Shiny in Ironmind pads. There are probably a few others that have equalled or bettered that mark too.

Nobody's attacking you by the way Mike. :D

I still consider the Grand Shiny to be an elite bend and I think most accomplished benders would agree. Gazza, Pat, Fox, Chad, Aaron, and I have all done a Mag Shiny also. I'm not on the list because I didn't pursue the cert before shutting the heavy-duty bending down. The others could no doubt do it at will. Gazza and Pat have bent a Mag Shiny (or shorter in Gazza's case) in small pads. I have bent a Grand Shiny in Ironmind pads. There are probably a few others that have equalled or bettered that mark too.

Thanks Ben, and like Darin said, "were all brothers here". There is not many people out there that appreciate what we do for fun, so we need to stick together :D:D:D

Thanks Ben, and like Darin said, "were all brothers here". There is not many people out there that appreciate what we do for fun, so we need to stick together :D:D:D

I feel the very same way. We are all brothers of steel! :rock

And concerning the race/challange... sorry guys :fear

I feel the very same way. We are all brothers of steel! :rock

And concerning the race/challange... sorry guys :fear

Does that mean that you got it?

I just saw his video ............ awesome stuff David!!!!! :rock

Yes I just did it a few hours ago. Didn't want to be to obvious about it until after the video was up.

Thank you brothers off steel :D

But now it's time for you guys to do it. You are all plenty strong for it! :rock

Yes I just did it a few hours ago. Didn't want to be to obvious about it until after the video was up.

Thank you brothers off steel :D

But now it's time for you guys to do it. You are all plenty strong for it! :rock

sorry about spoiling it for you - I wasn't even thinking .......... I was the first to watch it - it said 0 views while I was checking it out :laugh I felt like I was Johnny on the spot

Edited by Paul Knight

I was quite anxious to see who would win this race.. So congratulations David on an excellent bend.

Now with the Grand race over and so many of you also at that level, why don't we start a new race for a Mag shiny?

I was quite anxious to see who would win this race.. So congratulations David on an excellent bend.

Now with the Grand race over and so many of you also at that level, why don't we start a new race for a Mag shiny?

im up for that challenge. Just put in an order for some steel will have it in about a month, hopefully no one gets it before then :D

i'm not able to join the Mag Shiny Race, Sorry. I just failed again at the Grand. No excuses, i am just not at that level yet. I am going to re-group and start increasing my volume and work on my strength in the sweep & crush. So i do not plan on trying the Grand for a couple of months. I need to worry about the Steel Slayer Showdown in Texas. Time to train for that.

Darin, Thanks for the advise about trying suede wraps, i was finally able to bend it the correct way. Exactly in the middle. The problem is it stopped after my second hit (about 10 degrees past 90) i switched to IM pads and it never moved again. It still drives me nuts that i killed the Huge in 1:15, 2 times in one night (with about 2 hours rest) and now that damn 1/2" shorter seems like an additional 500 lbs.

I plan in staying with IM pads for my training for the SSS. And then every so often i will kill something (like some Edgins) with double wraps. I wonder if a 6" linear "S" Edgin is with in my grasp? I just need to kill some kind of steel real soon.

i'm not able to join the Mag Shiny Race, Sorry. I just failed again at the Grand. No excuses, i am just not at that level yet. I am going to re-group and start increasing my volume and work on my strength in the sweep & crush. So i do not plan on trying the Grand for a couple of months. I need to worry about the Steel Slayer Showdown in Texas. Time to train for that.

Darin, Thanks for the advise about trying suede wraps, i was finally able to bend it the correct way. Exactly in the middle. The problem is it stopped after my second hit (about 10 degrees past 90) i switched to IM pads and it never moved again. It still drives me nuts that i killed the Huge in 1:15, 2 times in one night (with about 2 hours rest) and now that damn 1/2" shorter seems like an additional 500 lbs.

I plan in staying with IM pads for my training for the SSS. And then every so often i will kill something (like some Edgins) with double wraps. I wonder if a 6" linear "S" Edgin is with in my grasp? I just need to kill some kind of steel real soon.

dont sweat it Mike, that half inch does actually make a huge difference when you start gettin shorter. My power is mostly in the kink and sweep, I remember getting that grand shiny I had tried to about 3'' in 15-20 seconds. Then I tried a mag shiny and it took me about a half hour to get it to the same spot. Just stick with it man and you'll get it

I think I might be down for a mag shiny race.

Mike, don't rush it. Some times it just takes some time. Little over a year ago I was in a mag race and took almost 6 months to finish it :blush

Caolan, now I know you ain't thinking of joining a mag shiny race... you need to look up a IM blue nail race ;)