Grand Shiny Race?

David_wigren

This race is still on. I tried and failed for the second time tonight. The only thing that i am doing different is i have not been doing any warm ups :( I usually always do a medium type bend as a warm up (i did the 7" stainless 1/4" square before the Huge Shiny) before a PR type bend. These last 2 times though i did not do any kind of warm ups at all. And both times i did not feel as strong. Tonight i could not even get the grand to 90 degrees :angry: so i think i really need to go back to doing a warm up bend first. I just did not to waste my energy warming up but not i need to go back to what worked in the past. I can only hope this race is still going on for a little while longer so i still have a chance to win.

Does anyone else find a big difference in there bends when they do not warm up first?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David_wigren

• easyWeight

• jpmmkrahling

• cberg

Man I wish I still had some stainless left to give it a go :laugh. Yesterday I took one of my huge shiny's that was stuck at 2" and put it down to 1 5/16" so the crush strength might be there.

To answer your question, it varies a lot by person. Some people need warmup bends and some actually do worse with them. Sounds like you do better with them though so stick with what works and you'll get it :rock

Mike you don't need to worry about me takin it. I've been sicker than sick theese past few days. But I'm on the mend right now. But for the next 4-5 days I don't think I will be much of a threat

Mike you don't need to worry about me takin it. I've been sicker than sick theese past few days. But I'm on the mend right now. But for the next 4-5 days I don't think I will be much of a threat

David,

This KTA gripper program i am doing has been kicking my ass, so were both in the same boat. I will not try any bending again until Friday night (my off night from grippers). I was going to try again today but i decided to warm up with a Huge Bastard and that took me 3 minutes to finally kill. Once i hit it i realized i had no strength left. I did alot of crush work last night and tried to hit that Grand Shiny again today (the one i failed on the other day). So unless Coalan get his handson some stainless this week, the race will keep on going. Unless someone else (like you Darin) steps up and puts an end to this

By the way what is the poundage on this Grand Shiny? Anyone know?

Edited by Mike K

ok Mike you have given me the motivation I need. I will be performing a thorough search of my house sometime within the next couple days :D

ok Mike you have given me the motivation I need. I will be performing a thorough search of my house sometime within the next couple days :D

I bet you will find some. It's weird aint it how bars just end up all over the place.

Coalan,

If you can not find any, i would be happy to send you one, the day after i finish one my self. :D

David,

This KTA gripper program i am doing has been kicking my ass, so were both in the same boat. I will not try any bending again until Friday night (my off night from grippers). I was going to try again today but i decided to warm up with a Huge Bastard and that took me 3 minutes to finally kill. Once i hit it i realized i had no strength left. I did alot of crush work last night and tried to hit that Grand Shiny again today (the one i failed on the other day). So unless Coalan get his handson some stainless this week, the race will keep on going. Unless someone else (like you Darin) steps up and puts an end to this

By the way what is the poundage on this Grand Shiny? Anyone know?

I may try to do some bending here in the next couple days. I've hit some kind of wall and have been failing relatively easy bends lately for some reason. I'm not sure what's going on. It might be the stress of school is wearing me down. Final exams are next week and I've been studying my butt off! Good luck on your next bend Mike; Get well David!; Hope you find some stainless Caolan! I wish I had some to spare man. I need to get some ordered myself!

Darin at what part of the bend have you been failing at or is it different every time?

The search failed! gonna have to wait about 10 days to get some :angry:

O well

Coalan, 10 days not give me alot of time to kill this :( . I was really thinking yo would have found a pc and it would be over by now. So i basically have 2 more attempts at it, i'll have to really get into it mentally for my next attempt :D . Thanks for the heads up.

Darin at what part of the bend have you been failing at or is it different every time?

The search failed! gonna have to wait about 10 days to get some :angry:

O well

Pretty much once I get it kinked I've been getting stopped somewhere in the sweep of the bend. Which I've generally had very little problem with. I think some of it has to do with me trying to bend it without excitement or energy, due to forcing myself to do it rather than being excited to bend. The same thing happens in the gym from time to time if I go in and I'm not really into it that day. For instance, I'm a high 400s to low 500lb squatter, but there have been days where 315-365lbs feels unusually heavy. I'm pretty sure it's not a strength issue, just a lack of focus and will < <

Another attempt, another failure. But i will not give up :angry: I got it to 80 degrees (100 degrees depending on how you look at it) pretty easy and then it just hit that wall again. So it was 10 degrees further then my best attempt. I did a warm up this time (6-1/2" x 1/4" Stainless Square) and i think that helped get me warmed up a little. But the biggest thing was the rest. I think 1 day a week is perfect for me so i am rested up. Now just a little bit more and i can get it to the point where i can crush it. Atleast i am making progress.

Oh yeah it was exactly 1/2" off center, but i can not seem to figure out how to stop that so i will eventually i hope to have an even bend, maybe that time is when i can finally finish it.

So come on guys, someone needs to finish this race :rock It has been going on way too long. My next attempt will be next Fri / Sat, i'll get it eventually.

Another attempt, another failure. But i will not give up :angry: I got it to 80 degrees (100 degrees depending on how you look at it) pretty easy and then it just hit that wall again. So it was 10 degrees further then my best attempt. I did a warm up this time (6-1/2" x 1/4" Stainless Square) and i think that helped get me warmed up a little. But the biggest thing was the rest. I think 1 day a week is perfect for me so i am rested up. Now just a little bit more and i can get it to the point where i can crush it. Atleast i am making progress.

Oh yeah it was exactly 1/2" off center, but i can not seem to figure out how to stop that so i will eventually i hope to have an even bend, maybe that time is when i can finally finish it.

So come on guys, someone needs to finish this race :rock It has been going on way too long. My next attempt will be next Fri / Sat, i'll get it eventually.

Mike, I know you mark your steel, but it may be those IMPs you're using as the first wrap that's getting you off center. I find it much harder to wrap those with a tight and straight edge compared to suede. Once I learned the importance of a nice, tight and uniform wrap, pretty much all of my bends have been spot on center. But I have still git off center bends in several of my IMP bends. Anyway, just a thought.

Mike, I know you mark your steel, but it may be those IMPs you're using as the first wrap that's getting you off center. I find it much harder to wrap those with a tight and straight edge compared to suede. Once I learned the importance of a nice, tight and uniform wrap, pretty much all of my bends have been spot on center. But I have still git off center bends in several of my IMP bends. Anyway, just a thought.

Thats a great point. I do have a hard time wrapping the IM pads, they always seend to sriral out toward the center of the bar. When it gets real bad i re-wrap it. So i will try double suede wraps next time. I like the IM wraps on the inside because they do not protect the hands as much as other types. But to finally kill this bend, i can try something different. I'll let you know how it goes.

Have you tried one lately? Someone has to get this eventually.

Thats a great point. I do have a hard time wrapping the IM pads, they always seend to sriral out toward the center of the bar. When it gets real bad i re-wrap it. So i will try double suede wraps next time. I like the IM wraps on the inside because they do not protect the hands as much as other types. But to finally kill this bend, i can try something different. I'll let you know how it goes.

You know, I finally had a productive bending session today. Nothing more than some light bends, a 7" Shiny and some ISOs on the Brutal Hex, but I'm getting my confidence back. So, I might go for a Grand again later this week if all goes well. The one I have bent is sitting at 2.25" right now, after hitting it randomly over the last few weeks. It's much harder to get moving I think once it's cold.

Despite my advice to use double suede, I've taken to using my IMPs as crush pads as they don't compress like suede does. I feel like you lose a lot of energy transfer through suede during the crush, where as the IMPs put the steel real close to your hand without the compression. If that makes sense. Plus it helps toughen the hands up.

I am jumping on this grand shiny nonsense if you Gentlemen don't mind :rock

It is Davids's race, but i hope he does not mind you joining in. We need something to spark this race. Welcome, and good luck

You know, I finally had a productive bending session today. Nothing more than some light bends, a 7" Shiny and some ISOs on the Brutal Hex, but I'm getting my confidence back. So, I might go for a Grand again later this week if all goes well. The one I have bent is sitting at 2.25" right now, after hitting it randomly over the last few weeks. It's much harder to get moving I think once it's cold.

Despite my advice to use double suede, I've taken to using my IMPs as crush pads as they don't compress like suede does. I feel like you lose a lot of energy transfer through suede during the crush, where as the IMPs put the steel real close to your hand without the compression. If that makes sense. Plus it helps toughen the hands up.

Darin, I am glad to see you got your confidence back. You better get a good shot latter this week because Adam Glass is joiong the race now and it could be over real soon.

I tried your advise with the double suede wraps and it really helped get it started ALOT better. It was dead on, but it was for the Huge Golden i did. But i found out the same thing that you mentioned in this thread about crushing with the Suede. There is just too much give compared to the IM wraps. So i am thinking maybe next time i will use the double suede for the start and then switch to the IM for the crush only. Eventually this grand will fall for all of us :rock:rock

Mike that is similar to what I do now. Double leathers with suede for inner wraps to start and then when I get it under 3'' I switch to a really thin pair of leathers that I fold up like crush pads. I also seem to lose power when crushing down with the suede wraps. They do help alot on the kink though.

Someone please finish this race already :rock

You are welcome my friend!

This is not my race, just an incentive to keep me and others to strive for better results.

Oh hell guys! Better turn on the juice because Adam's in the house. :rock

Mike that is similar to what I do now. Double leathers with suede for inner wraps to start and then when I get it under 3'' I switch to a really thin pair of leathers that I fold up like crush pads. I also seem to lose power when crushing down with the suede wraps. They do help alot on the kink though.

That's what I was doing also; the folded suede. It also works very well, but I kept poking holes through them :( So I switched to the IMPs

I have my last final exam tomorrow morning at 8am. I'm going to come home, sleep most of the rest of the day away, since I haven't really slept in a week and a half, then hit some bends. I have one Grand Shiny that I hack sawed off today in preparation :D I'm going to get jacked up on Monsters, and let the berserker beast out full throttle and hopefully put some serious damage on this thing!

That's what I was doing also; the folded suede. It also works very well, but I kept poking holes through them :( So I switched to the IMPs

I have my last final exam tomorrow morning at 8am. I'm going to come home, sleep most of the rest of the day away, since I haven't really slept in a week and a half, then hit some bends. I have one Grand Shiny that I hack sawed off today in preparation :D I'm going to get jacked up on Monsters, and let the berserker beast out full throttle and hopefully put some serious damage on this thing!

Go and kill it Darin, i'm waiting till next Friday / Sat. I'm thinking i want one good shot with alot of rest. So i am not doing anybending this weekend at all.

The race is still on! I didn't get it, again! Someone has to win this soon!

Right now I'm just trying to add some bending strength. I'm also fine tuning my techniqe for the kink and sweep and I think I'm pretty sure why my kink strength hasn't been par on how it was when I was as my strongest even though my crush is stronger now. If everything goes as I hope it does then this should improve my chances on this thing.

Still want to wait a few days until I attempt it