Has Anyone Ever Trained Their Crush With Grippers?

jpmmkrahling

I was messing around with my COC#3 (I just started the KTA recently) and i tried crushing it with 2 hands. i got it but it was not easy. It used a similar form & muscles to the crush for my short steel. So it got me to wondering if anyone has tried using grippers to increase their crush for bending?

Thinking about it a little more, if it takes 2 hands for me to crush something that alot of you guys can do with one hand (ie. people that can close the COC#3 or harder), i have a long way to go. So does that mean people like Paul Knight, and alot of others can crush a Bastard with one hand (after the kink and sweep)? Now that is something i would like to see!!

I use my grippers to train the crush for bending everytime I do my bending routine. Since some people explained in their ebooks how to do it I guess many people are using grippers that way.

some guys (Darin , Dave Morton, Adam just to name a few ) used their grippers to work the crush:-)

my crush its my weak point thats why i brought one #4 wich its beyond any #4 i ever tried ("mutant) , i cant do nothing with it !lol

maybe using one "choker"??

The felling to crush one #4 with 1 hand only or to bend the bastard same way should be different ...grippers have the spring wich helps,but this is just one idea ,i am not one expert. :)

Paul Knight is VERY strong i dont doubt he can bend the bastard with one hand ... maybe he wants to try the "Challenge"?

RIGHT PAUL??:-))) ;)

I've suggested it a few times, but it's been a matter of debate. IMO, for the beginner and even advanced bender, crushing grippers can be quite advantageous. Obviously you'd use them less for strength as you become more advanced, but they should still work well for recovery and repetitive exercises IMO. But for beginners, you have the opportunity to learn the technique and get stronger without going through a lot of steel. I agree with those who say there is no substitute for the real thing, but it's another tool at your disposal.

As for one-hand crushing a Bastard; the crush is far greater than the crush on a #4. Consider a current 480lb kink on the Bastard that only gets harder the further down it gets, to 365lbs on a #4. That's not half of it though. When bending a nail/bolt you're applying enough force to where the steel permanently deforms (yield strength). A gripper remains elastic, which means you're not reaching the force needed to deform it.

However, I enjoy one-hand crushing of lighter nails and such. But I don't think we'll see anyone one-hand crushing a Bastard.

Edited by easyWeight

Thank you all for you replies, i was just curious.

I think theyre good for beginners to work their crush, but as you get more advanced you are going to want to work on certain parts of the crush (your sticking points). Grippers also dont quite have the same feel to them as a much thinner piece of steel does either. I think cheat kinking pieces of steel for iso training is a better alternative. I recommend using stainless steel. It flexes alot which helps you find out when you are putting the most force into the bar. It also teaches you to hold your hits longer because sometimes the stainless will start to move after being held there for a few seconds.

I agree that it would be good for beginners, but but not real useful for anyone bending a red or above. I can crush my #4 all day long, so I know I am much better off working my crush with actual steel instead...

Mike, maybe the #3 was just awkward for you, but I've chest-crushed a #4 easily, and I'm sure you're stronger than me. I honestly don't feel that grippers are that helpful for training crush.