Fastenal 1018 Crs 5/16" Round

matthcarl

Someone asked in another thread how Fastenal CRS compared to FBBC stock. No one chimed in, that I recall, so today I was going by the new Fastenal near me, and popped in for a piece of metal. It is labeled 1018 CR 5/16" round.

I just bent a 7" piece. It is much harder than any bastard I've bent, including the 515 lb. batch. I thought it was harder to kink than a Shiny, and the crush was incredibly hard for CRS...it would be excellent to bridge the gap between the bastard and the Shiny, actually.

Edited by The Writer

I'm glad to hear that. I have been working on some Fastenal 1018 1/4 inch sq and having a bear of a time with the crush so maybe it's extra hard. I got some bastards but told myself I wouldn't even try one until I could do 6" 1/4 sq but still haven't finished a 6 incher so maybe I'l go ahead and try one of my bastards and see how it goes.

Thanks for the info. I'm the one who asked in the other thread.

really cool!

i will get the shiny soon so i dont need it(jk) :devil

thanks for sharing Matt!

Matt, I wonder if they mislabeled it and it's really CRS-1045. That stuff is as hard as you list. The normal CRS-1018 is very ho-hum compared to a brutal Bastard.

Could be, Ben. I have my suspicions about their labeling with the stainless already (the only stainless is labeled 304 and is harder than a shiny). The selection is kind of small, and the employees don't really seem to have a clue about their own stock. Oh, well. I never knew anything about metal either until I started bending it :tongue

Could be, Ben. I have my suspicions about their labeling with the stainless already (the only stainless is labeled 304 and is harder than a shiny). The selection is kind of small, and the employees don't really seem to have a clue about their own stock. Oh, well. I never knew anything about metal either until I started bending it :tongue

I agree the people over here at Fastenal are clueless also.Remember that crazy hard brass i sent you ?

I agree the people over here at Fastenal are clueless also.Remember that crazy hard brass i sent you ?

I do...it's probably still sitting around my apartment somewhere stuck at 90 degrees :tongue On the other hand, the brass I got from this Fastenal was easy.