Variations In Steel

d.sides

I have heard it said often how much steel varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. A friend ordered from Speedymetals.com and as I am working on getting the shiny under 5 minutes I had him grab 10 for me.

Wrapped one up last night and 20 minutes later its at 90 degrees and I am dead.

Today I did a FBBC shiny in 5:15 . I have 1 left.

Can there really be this much variation?

It may also depend on other variables; how well your body recovered from last training, how you feel, how much energy you have left, ...

But yes, steel sometimes varies a lot.

Edit: also look at the mental side; you failed last time, so your mind is more eager to smoke it, making it 'easier'.

Edited by luuc

There really can be that much variation in certain suppliers of stainless. K&S Engineering stainless is about as hard as you'll find anywhere. SpeedyMetals is pretty hard too. All is listed as 303 though. I still believe that overall, stainless is much more consistent than most grades of steel.

Make no mistake, there really is that much variation and more. The best example I can give is for 303 stainless. I have bent stainless from a few different sources and I actually find the FBBC stuff to be easier than most others. I bought some 303 from a hardware store and it was super tough and super springy compared to the actual Shinys. And then there is Tim I's stainless. Holy cow. I've said before that it is bat-shit crazy tough, I still haven't finished a piece of it. I don't know where he gets it but someone else alluded to Fastenal stainless being extremely tough too.

I have Fsatenals stuff and I can get it shut also. This stuff is a B**** though. I will have to finish a piece just to say I did it I guess, then I will send some around.

Thanks

The Fastenal 304 stainless (assuming it's marked correctly) I have is harder than an FBBC shiny.

I believe National 5/16" CRS calibrated at 385 lbs. compared to 515 lbs. for FBBC's hardest batch of bastards.

I have Fsatenals stuff and I can get it shut also. This stuff is a B**** though. I will have to finish a piece just to say I did it I guess, then I will send some around.

Thanks

Fastenal is MUCH harder than FBBC stainless, even though its marked as 304.

The Fastenal 304 stainless (assuming it's marked correctly) I have is harder than an FBBC shiny.

I believe National 5/16" CRS calibrated at 385 lbs. compared to 515 lbs. for FBBC's hardest batch of bastards.

The National I sent Eric long ago only hit 330 lbs. The Steel works hit 380 in both hot and cold rolled. CRS varies ALOT.

Tim

Doug ,

i brought some 7 mm ss (shiny have almost 1 cm more!!), its very close to the Shiny ... just ask Darin and Perry ...both tried it.

the 8mm ss i brought (never tried) should be like a nightmare.

want some Doug?

The National I sent Eric long ago only hit 330 lbs. The Steel works hit 380 in both hot and cold rolled. CRS varies ALOT.

Tim

That must be what I'm thinking of. National CRS felt like a straw even compared to the old easy bastards.

I just attempted another piece of Tim's stainless. It reminded me of an Edgin until the crush, the crush is still immense on this stuff for me even now. The only thing I've ever felt spring more than Tim's stainless is Grade 5 Titanium. Seriously Tim, that stainless of your's has some Ti in it's blood.

I did some 8mm 0-1 drillrod from Fasstenal that wasnt bad. The 9mm stops me every time.

Tim

That must be what I'm thinking of. National CRS felt like a straw even compared to the old easy bastards.

I just bought some Steelworks 1/4" hot and cold rolled and they feel virtually the same to me.

Anyone have an idea how Fastenal CRS compares FBBC CRS?

I don't, but I'd be glad to do a comparison next week :devil

Make no mistake, there really is that much variation and more. The best example I can give is for 303 stainless. I have bent stainless from a few different sources and I actually find the FBBC stuff to be easier than most others. I bought some 303 from a hardware store and it was super tough and super springy compared to the actual Shinys. And then there is Tim I's stainless. Holy cow. I've said before that it is bat-shit crazy tough, I still haven't finished a piece of it. I don't know where he gets it but someone else alluded to Fastenal stainless being extremely tough too.

I believe Tim I said he got that 303 from Alro Steel. That's the same supplier I had up around Akron when I lived there.

I believe Tim I said he got that 303 from Alro Steel. That's the same supplier I had up around Akron when I lived there.

I'll have to give Alro a call then :)