Tonight's Spike Bends

Tim71

Decided to do some real spike bending tonight after a LONG time of not doing much with it.

First off, I decided to warm up with a Mazel / Tree Island 80d which was the suprise of the night. For those who don't know, when you buy Mazel spikes, you might get griprite shiny easy ones, Keystones, or Tree Islands or who knows what else. I've gotten or seen all three.

Anyway, this spike suprised the heck out of me. Tree Islands are normally pretty tough and have cal'd at 595 but after trying this I figured I was really rusty or this was an exceptional batch because I did just pick them up the other day. Tough all the way through with a crazy crush for a spike. I decided to take a step back and try a Mazel / Keystone 80d which cal'd at 575 and thankfully I blew through it.

Next up was a 7/16 by 8 inch G2 bolt. Got it pretty good and well off center too which I hate. Last time I had a G2 of this size calibrated it hit 735 lbs so I decided to go for a bend that has kicked my butt so many times......

The ol' 12mm by 8 inch bolt that Eric cal'd at over 1000 lbs. I think 1005 to be exact. Sorry to say it again kicked my butt but I did get it further than I ever have. In all fairness to me though, this latest batch of leather I've gotten I absolutely hate. Slides all around and is not tough at all. Punctures almost like it's a cheap pleather knock off. BTW, it's not FBBC stock so don't worry about Beatty's leather.

Decided to go back and hit a 3/8 by 8 inch G5 which cals at 765 I believe. Got it to past 90 pretty quick and decided to re-wrap it back to my old wraps. Boy when these set, it's like they lock up. Plus it was off center so that made from there to the final crush a pretty good work-out which was what I wanted.

last bend was a Sivaco 80d that cal'd at 595 which was the same as my old batch of tree islands, but in real bending it always felt noticeably tougher. This bend also proved that my new batch of tree islands are indeed much tougher because the Sivaco was noticaly easier than the new Tree Islands.

Here's a pic of tonight's bends:

Tonight's spikes

Decent night, but one day that crazy bolt will fall. Hopefully I don't run out of them first because they were actually a mistake shipment and I only got a dozen or so. Sadly, I've probably kinked 4 or 5 by now.

Tim

Nice bends! That G5 bent so wide it looks like stainless or something :blink

Tim,

That's some incredible bending :rock And to think i thought i had a chance of catching up to you, LMAO. i can see i was wrong for even thinking that!!! Keep up the good work.

Writer,

I have no idea why the larger G5s do that for me. I assume it's something to do with the larger size or maybe because I had to stop halfway through. Beats me but they've never bent as sharp as the smaller sizes for me. Heck the 7/16 G2 has a sharper bend but make no mistake, the G5 was the hardest of all the bends completed tonight.

Thanks a bunch guys! I'm getting the braced fever once again and a few things in mind I want to try as soon as I get some new leather.

Later,

Tim

Every time I think I am getting better with my braced bending....Tim posts something like this....... :( ..............Good work man keep it up....Brett

Tim, next time you bend some huge stuff like that you should set something next to them for scale before you take a pic. It would be cool to see how small an Edgin looks alongside those monsters you bent. :D

Edited by gumpster

Crazy stuff! That bolt cal'd 1005lbs at 8"?! To even kink thoose, yikes!