Getting The Bar Under Your Chin

Dan Cenidoza

I'm having trouble getting the bar up under my chin (and keeping it there) while bending double overhand. Any suggestions? I seem to remember a thread from a while back about different exercises/stretches to help with this. I did a search but didn't find it.

Mike Macinzie can help you w/this ............ also I like to lean back real far, it helps me get the bar under my chin better

Shoulder dislocates are an excellent way to improve shoulder flexibility, on youtube there are several video's of this exercise.

It might be a little of both I would say Dan but probably more flexibility. I used to just hold a 7" bar up and work on getting my shoulders turned on it not even trying to bend it just working on getting into postion. The dislocates I do for O lifting seemed to help as well. I am still not the best a 7" stuff and have not done much DO bending as of late , but this is the stuff that helped me.

Shoulder dislocates are king. Things like hindu pushups, gymnastic bridge progressions and just trying to get longer bars to touch your neck are great ways to work up to longer stock. As I said though, the shoulder dislocations are king. Even if you don't bend, you should be doing shoulder dislocates for strength and mobility.

Remember too, it's one thing to have the ROM, it's another thing entirely to have STRENGTH in that ROM. To build the strength, you need to work in that ROM. So if it is your goal to bend bigger 7" stock, get yourself some piss easy 7" bars and the progressions thereafter and just attempt them. To get better at longer stock you must bend longer stock. So get to it and good luck!!!

If you are doing any normal training, try adding dips to your training routine. It worked like hell for me.