I'm Stuck Between A Rock...

twig

Or to put it another way: between a 5"X1/4" round and a Bastard.

I can melt the 1/4" but can't even kink the B. Are there any 'tweener bends? Or any tips on how to improve my kink? Cos I already know I can crushdown bigger steel than the Bastard.

I'm in a similar situation. I've done 1/4" x 5" without much trouble and barely wobbled a bastard. I'd say some things in the middle might be -

1/4" x 5.5" Grade 8 bolt

1/4" x 5.5" square (I've had it close to finished in 5min...the crush is a workout)

Red (just tried my first today and it was easier to kink than the bastard, I ran out of gas and it took me about 15 min to finish it)

You say your crush is strong so I think Reds might be your best bet. You'll get the right length (7") and an easier kink. ;)

Sometimes it's the length not allowing you to achieve a good position due to flexibility issues as much as it is strength to bend it. Work more 7" stock even if it's easier stock. 1/4 x 7 square makes a nice intermediate piece also.

I agree with all the above! I am a big fan of finding tiny increments to improve bending. The bastard...especially if it's the current stock...is much harder than even 5"x1/4" in my opinion. 5" and 7" stock is hard to compare, though, so I would try for 7" stuff...especially 1/4" square CRS and 5/16" round HRS...or whatever metric equivalents you have. 7mm round is a nice in between step.

1/4 square.

If you are using DO then its a good idea to work in long steel, up to 8", for technique. Cheat kinked bastards from say 30 degrees down to just kinked and some long 1/4" stock should be all that's needed if you're short on variety. Also dial in your wrapping.

You can even buy 7" (1/4") Grade 8s Neil. They're expensive, but you might want to give that a shot. 1/4" Square-CRS is excellent too. As is Drill Rod (O-1) in increments up from .25" to .296". I would work with 7" lengths much more than harder and shorter bends.

You can even buy 7" (1/4") Grade 8s Neil. They're expensive, but you might want to give that a shot. 1/4" Square-CRS is excellent too. As is Drill Rod (O-1) in increments up from .25" to .296". I would work with 7" lengths much more than harder and shorter bends.

Absolutely, if you're striving for the bastard specifically, then I'd say get a lot of different 7" stock, 5/16 HRS, grade 8 bolts, hex, square, stainless square, reds. It's very different to kink 5" compared to 7", and they're almost more different at 90 degrees, shorter stuff (shorter than 6") requires much more finger strength while the longer lengths really allows to just "push" into the bars. That's what I did anyway to get to the red.