Some Nice Bends Today!

matthcarl

I felt good on bending today. Here's what I've done so far:

I started with a bolt I got from tja...it's 7.5" long with the threads cut off, and has a couple of back to back "L" shaped markings and "8.8" below that. I believe he called it a "European Edgin." I am not sure how it compares to the 7" triangle edgins I've never finished, but I got this one with a struggle. I had to redo the wraps after the non-head side slipped, and it was very springy-feeling on the crush. I think the exta half inch of leverae made a lot of difference for me. Anyway, my camera died just as I was finishing up.

7.5" European bolt.

After that I did my last piece of square aluminum, 6"x10mm. I tried to kink it DU, but it wasn't going anywhere, so I flipped it over. The crush surprised me. At 7" I got it under 1" but at 6" I think the sheer thickness makes it too hard to compress that much, and I think it was tougher to finish than a bastard.

6"x10mm aluminum square

I have a couple of bends forthcoming, too, so I'll have more of an update shortly.

Thanks Gazza!

After those bends, I got a piece of 7"x8mm rebar in IM pads fairly easily (6 hits I think): rebar dies

It was so easy, I went for a 480 lbs bastard in IM pads as well...I kinked it about 20 degrees, but I couldn't get it further. Still, it didn't hurt too bad, and I think I might be able to get a red nail again.

Then I went for a huge bastard from the 480 stock. I was SURE I had it this time, but I just couldn't pull it off. I got it to 2 3/4" pretty fast, then 2.5", then 2 1/8", but I could tell my crushes were getting weaker, and it was well past five minutes by then. Next time I'm going to hit it fresh and FINALLY get the cert...I have been after this for over a year now :laugh

On the bright side, my crush is clearly MUCH stronger. I was getting these stuck at 3.5" just a few weeks ago. A little more work, and the shiny+Edgin are going down, too :cool

Edited by The Writer

Great bending Matt!!!

Do you place your IMPs in the same position as you would Fat pads? I'm curious if your technique changes much when you use IMPs.

Do you place your IMPs in the same position as you would Fat pads? I'm curious if your technique changes much when you use IMPs.

I'd say I use mostly the sme technique. I might leave a little more of the IM pad on the bar, but I still use the pistol-grip and push in on the end of the bar as much as I can. The inex fingers do take a lot more force as the bar bends across them.

Great Bends Matt :rock That slip looked pretty nasty.I hate when that happens.Keep it up man,Looking Strong. :rock

I'd say I use mostly the sme technique. I might leave a little more of the IM pad on the bar, but I still use the pistol-grip and push in on the end of the bar as much as I can. The inex fingers do take a lot more force as the bar bends across them.

I agree the index finger takes a bit of beating, but no pain no gain right? I'll have to practice with my IMPs more - I suck with them haha. It feels so different for me! You made that look easy though! Thanks!

Thanks guys! I do like practicing with IM pads...it toughens the hands nicely.

Man, I'm seriously jealous about two of those bends: the bolt and the rebar in IMP. Well done :rock The other bends are not too bad, either ;)

I called the bolt Euro-Edgin as the info I've got so far indicates they'd be of the same strength. I've got one (7" long) stuck somewhere between 45 and 90 degrees and it isn't going anywhere right now. I may have to try one of the Edgins you sent to compare :)

Good luck on the Edgins...I found I have to put the wraps a little higher on the bar or the threads will bend. Someone else said the bolts you sent me are the same strength as a grade 5. Are they 8mm diameter? They looked the same as the 5/16" triangle Edgins, but I don't have calipers to tell exactly.

ANd I'm seriously jealous of your reverse strength, so we're even :D

Edited by The Writer

Great bends bro super thick steel!

Good luck on the Edgins...I found I have to put the wraps a little higher on the bar or the threads will bend. Someone else said the bolts you sent me are the same strength as a grade 5. Are they 8mm diameter? They looked the same as the 5/16" triangle Edgins, but I don't have calipers to tell exactly.

ANd I'm seriously jealous of your reverse strength, so we're even :D

Yes, they're 8mm thick. And yeah, let's call it even :)