Have I Not Been Bending Gr 5?

wlong132003

Makes since I will do that. You saying the bolt portion was triangle or the head was?

They are regular hex-head bolts...the triangle is just a brand mark.

Bill,

If I'm understanding you right, you can bend the BL G2s but not 1/4 inch CRS. True 1/4 inch HRS (not the national or steelworks from Lowes), will be easier than the G2 bolt. Try some of the zinc-plated 1/4 inch steel or you can look for some Grade 2 bolts with "HKT" on the head. Sift through the G2 bolt bin at your Lowes and see if you can find some of those. They feel significantly harder than the BL versions but not quite as hard as good CRS in the same size.

I had Eric calibrate these different kinds of steel for me all in 5/16 diameter and all at 7 inch length.

A36 HRS hit 250 lbs.

National brand zinc-plated hit 325.

National brand CRS hit 330.

Steel works HRS AND CRS both hit 380 lbs.

As you can see, it's VERY important to know your steel.

Same with your 1/4 inch G2 bolts.

Easiest has "zimmer" on the head followed by BL on up the ladder. The zimmers are probably around 170 lbs or so and some of the HKTs I think hit around 230 to 240 ish.

Same for 60d nails. I've had some that were pathetic and hit 210 lbs on up to over 330 lbs.

I'd try to get some national brand 1/4 inch round stock and try it out. It's the easiest CRS I've bent. If not, then try the zinc-plated steelworks stuff.

Later,

Tim

Bill,

If I'm understanding you right, you can bend the BL G2s but not 1/4 inch CRS. True 1/4 inch HRS (not the national or steelworks from Lowes), will be easier than the G2 bolt. Try some of the zinc-plated 1/4 inch steel or you can look for some Grade 2 bolts with "HKT" on the head. Sift through the G2 bolt bin at your Lowes and see if you can find some of those. They feel significantly harder than the BL versions but not quite as hard as good CRS in the same size.

I had Eric calibrate these different kinds of steel for me all in 5/16 diameter and all at 7 inch length.

A36 HRS hit 250 lbs.

National brand zinc-plated hit 325.

National brand CRS hit 330.

Steel works HRS AND CRS both hit 380 lbs.

As you can see, it's VERY important to know your steel.

Same with your 1/4 inch G2 bolts.

Easiest has "zimmer" on the head followed by BL on up the ladder. The zimmers are probably around 170 lbs or so and some of the HKTs I think hit around 230 to 240 ish.

Same for 60d nails. I've had some that were pathetic and hit 210 lbs on up to over 330 lbs.

I'd try to get some national brand 1/4 inch round stock and try it out. It's the easiest CRS I've bent. If not, then try the zinc-plated steelworks stuff.

Later,

Tim

Tim

Thanks for the detailed information I have been scanning all the logs and reading about the steel I am on a mission to find it all out. So I think I have read the BL rates at around 200-210lbs? My 60D's are all the same size dia. so I think its just a tough batch like you mentioned. Ryan Pitts gave me a great website to look for stuff also...http://www.mcmaster.com/#91247a566/=oc6rf

Yes all the CRS and HRS I got is Steel works. I take it all zinc plated stuff is lower level steel then?

I got the part numbers for you

G5 1/4"x6.5 is 13026

G5 1/4"x7" is 13027

G8 1/4"x6.5" is 15026

I found the BLs were the easyest than the 307As than HKTs being the hardest

I use to get most of my bolts at Ace hardware I was able to get a wide variety

from them

G5 1/4"x6.5 is 13026

G5 1/4"x7" is 13027

G8 1/4"x6.5" is 15026

from them

Perfect, thanks a lot The little hardware store I can go to is an old Ace store. They should have it. I think I could get the 7" G5 i will try

Stuff can very by batch but typically, the zinc plated stuff feels a little easier but still quite a bit harder than TRUE hot rolled steel.

Hot rolled steel will have a black scale that flakes off when you bend it. With steel works steel, 1/2 inch and smaller that they lable as Hot rolled steel isn't really the case. It's more like a mild cold-rolled; spring and all. Now their 5/8 and 3/4 definately feels and looks like hot rolled and behaves that way.

FBBC sells the best steel and a very reasonable price already cut. If you like experimenting (like I do) with different kinds of HRS then an actual steel warehouse will save you a bundle.

Tim

I've bent National 5/16" Zinc plated steel...to me it feels pretty much the same as their HRS, so I really wouldn't bother with the extra stock. It is a bit cleaner, I suppose :laugh

Now when it says zinc thats just the steel is plated in zinc but the real deal is that its steel covered with zinc right?

Now when it says zinc thats just the steel is plated in zinc but the real deal is that its steel covered with zinc right?

Yes, that's right.

G5 1/4"x6.5 is 13026

G5 1/4"x7" is 13027

G8 1/4"x6.5" is 15026

from them

Ok ordered some G5 7" today from that part number thanks a lot. I found a fastner store here in town. They didn't carry any 7". I did get some 6" grade 5 it has a U on it with the 3 tick marks whats the stats on that?