Monkeys And Their Strength

Volko Krull

I saw an oranguatan(sp?) on Monday and it's hands were just ridiculous. They'd dwarf Pfister, Dean or anybody else. It's wrists were insanely thick/wide too. I don't think their is any mystery as to why they're so strong, they just have so many more fibers to work with, no wonder humans can't compare. They had it doing an "enrichment" activity which was pretty cool. They had taken what looked to be one of those Sam's Club size pickle jars (plastic) and filled it with fruit juice and what looked to be peanuts and cherries and frozen it all together. I don't know what the thing weighed but I think it would take a Jedd-sized hand to pick it up by the side with one hand just due to the size. It was longer than a salt block but not quite as thick/wide due to the rounded edges.I missed it opening it but I could see the remains and it had just ripped this plastic jar right down the side, end to end. This was plastic that you'd need heavy duty scissors to cut. It was taking this frozen/VERY SLICK hunk of food stuff and swinging it around and never once dropped it. Then it started smashing it into the ground one handed and shattered it. Then it was picking shards of it the size of longjohns and putting the crush grip on them and breaking them to bits. As someone who appreciates grip feats, this was flat scary.

I saw an oranguatan(sp?) on Monday and it's hands were just ridiculous. They'd dwarf Pfister, Dean or anybody else. It's wrists were insanely thick/wide too. I don't think their is any mystery as to why they're so strong, they just have so many more fibers to work with, no wonder humans can't compare. They had it doing an "enrichment" activity which was pretty cool. They had taken what looked to be one of those Sam's Club size pickle jars (plastic) and filled it with fruit juice and what looked to be peanuts and cherries and frozen it all together. I don't know what the thing weighed but I think it would take a Jedd-sized hand to pick it up by the side with one hand just due to the size. It was longer than a salt block but not quite as thick/wide due to the rounded edges.I missed it opening it but I could see the remains and it had just ripped this plastic jar right down the side, end to end. This was plastic that you'd need heavy duty scissors to cut. It was taking this frozen/VERY SLICK hunk of food stuff and swinging it around and never once dropped it. Then it started smashing it into the ground one handed and shattered it. Then it was picking shards of it the size of longjohns and putting the crush grip on them and breaking them to bits. As someone who appreciates grip feats, this was flat scary.

Man Josh, it would been great to see video of this.

At the Topeka Zoo orangutan enclosure there is a car tire that was tied into a TIGHT knot by an organutan and put on display. That pretty much trumps anything I've ever heard of in the animal world regarding grip strength.

At the Topeka Zoo orangutan enclosure there is a car tire that was tied into a TIGHT knot by an organutan and put on display. That pretty much trumps anything I've ever heard of in the animal world regarding grip strength.

:blink Holy smokes!

Was that a length of tire tread or an intact tire?

Talking about how monkeys use their hands more, I once met a guy in a wheel chair who refused to use an electric one, and he could navigate stairs to some degree and everything. I'm telling you this guy looked like he's be a monster arm wrestler. Linebacker arms on the guy.

There was a guy in my home town who had some kinda condition like MS or something and he didn't get around real great and they always said he had an extreme grip on him and SUPPOSEDLY, they had transplanted some kinda ape muscles into his arm. I never asked him personally and never took it to heart but I suppose it would be possible although I doubt it would translate into insta gorilla strength.

Tim

They do have their weaknesses as well. Try letting one of them swim and see how well they do or if they even survive.

Tim

Two years ago I was in the National Zoo in DC chillin' in the Ape House. I was astonished at how strong the big male orangutan was. There was a big heavy duty truck tire in the enclosure, prob. 32" tall, this big ol' orangutan sat down behind it,rolled it on his lap, and proceeded to wrap his arms around it and started crushing it like a little stress ball! I was in amazement. Then he wrapped his arms around it and grabbed the inner lip of the tire and started stretching and twisting it like a giant rubber band!

I looked around to see if there was anybody else as dumbfounded as me. NOPE...not a one. Everybody else was just walking around like there wasn't an incredible feat of ape strength happening.

The tire in the knot thing is just crazy. I believe it 100% after seeing that orangutan mangle that giant truck tire.

Two years ago I was in the National Zoo in DC chillin' in the Ape House. I was astonished at how strong the big male orangutan was. There was a big heavy duty truck tire in the enclosure, prob. 32" tall, this big ol' orangutan sat down behind it,rolled it on his lap, and proceeded to wrap his arms around it and started crushing it like a little stress ball! I was in amazement. Then he wrapped his arms around it and grabbed the inner lip of the tire and started stretching and twisting it like a giant rubber band!

I looked around to see if there was anybody else as dumbfounded as me. NOPE...not a one. Everybody else was just walking around like there wasn't an incredible feat of ape strength happening.

The tire in the knot thing is just crazy. I believe it 100% after seeing that orangutan mangle that giant truck tire.

I can see that the National Zoo will be on my list of sights to see in DC :D

YES, that beats all I've heard of! :blink:blink:blink I couldn't even make something up that good :D