Dawn Of The Deadlift

EricMilfeld

Hey, Rex, I got to thinking about something (scary thought) regarding the sumo style. Isn't picking up a stone performed much like a modified sumo deadlift? Maybe a modified sumo stance mimics "the real world" more than I previously thought. Alas, perhaps I'm still "keepin' it real"! :laugh

Sumo style lifters are so terrified of putting strain on their precious backs, and so they choose the ugly stance. Their entire approach to the deadlift is one of evasion and distortion--evading the essence of the deadlift and attempting to change it--with horrifying results--into the squat. Stone lifters, on the other hand, lift with a rounded back throughout the entire movement. So the stress is still on the back, even if the legs are wide.

From what I've seen, you basically do a stiff-legged deadlift but with your feet wide apart, and so I'd say that you're closer to the stone-lifter than the traditional sumo deadlifter. This means that the Society of Conventional Deadlifters will still send you a Christmas invite. :D

-Rex

Oh, thank goodness! I can sleep again at night. :D

12-06

Squat

425 x 2

And Zach, that's a good observation.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EricMilfeld

• The Natural

• thewicked

• Paul Knight

Workout days leading up to my next meet, the WABDL Southern Regionals on March 28th in Dallas. I may just go ahead and bulk up to 220 and see what I can do:

December 9, 15, 21, 27

January 2, 8, 14, 20, 26

February 1, 7, 13, 19, 25

March 3, 9, 15, 21

That's a total of 18 workouts.

Workout days leading up to my next meet, the WABDL Southern Regionals on March 28th in Dallas. I may just go ahead and bulk up to 220 and see what I can do:

December 9, 15, 21, 27

January 2, 8, 14, 20, 26

March 3, 9, 15, 21

do it! ain't nuttin but a peanut! light weight baby! ............ "Everybody wants to be a deadlift champion, but nobody wants to do any deadlifts!" - variation of Ronnie Colemans quote

12-09

body weight: 203

Stiff Leg Deads Off 4" Block

335 x 12

Barbell Rows

245 x 10

Shrugs

425 x 20

December 9, 15, 21, 27

January 2, 8, 14, 20, 26

March 3, 9, 15, 21

do it! ain't nuttin but a peanut! light weight baby! ............ "Everybody wants to be a deadlift champion, but nobody wants to do any deadlifts!" - variation of Ronnie Colemans quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EpattQUwyM

-Rex

December 9, 15, 21, 27

January 2, 8, 14, 20, 26

March 3, 9, 15, 21

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EpattQUwyM

-Rex

I liked your impersonation even better, Rex! Funny stuff! :D

12-12

Squat

415 x 2 (extra deep because I'm probably going to lift in a USAPL meet, raw, by the way)

I'm fickle. I'm getting fat around the midsection, so maybe I'll stay in the 198 class.

12-15

Sumo Deadlift

565 x 1 (I missed the second rep, which surprised me. The 535 triple two weeks ago felt very solid. Maybe doing stiff legs off the block last week threw me off. Maybe I'll go back to conventional pulling.)

Dumbbell Row

204 x 7

Shrugs

445 x 15

12-15

Sumo Deadlift

565 x 1 (I missed the second rep, which surprised me. The 535 triple two weeks ago felt very solid. Maybe doing stiff legs off the block last week threw me off. Maybe I'll go back to conventional pulling.)

Dumbbell Row

204 x 7

Shrugs

445 x 15

It's about time you wised up!

-Rex

Don't sweat it Eric - that was one workout - I think I was having a bad one too - it was something in the air

12-18

Squat

375 x 3 x 2 sets

12-21

Deadlift

460 x 3 x 2 sets

Dumbbell Rows

134 x 25

12-15

Sumo Deadlift

Dumbbell Row

204 x 7

Shrugs

445 x 15

It's about time you wised up!

-Rex

HAHA i'm with this guy..

I plead temporary insanity, guys.

12-24

Squat

385 x 3 x 2 sets

Bench Press

275 x 3 x 2 sets

what protocol do you follow eric?

I train by instinct and whim for the most part. Right now I'm trying a cycle of two sets of three on all three of the lifts for five workouts. I will probably go for a max single at the completion of the cycle.

what protocol do you follow eric?

I train by instinct and whim for the most part. Right now I'm trying a cycle of two sets of three on all three of the lifts for five workouts. I will probably go for a max single at the completion of the cycle.

This is the best way, I think. On the days you feel great, you go all out. On the days you feel tired, you back off. This is why I never used those percentage based workouts. Why do 70 percent on a day I feel like dynamite?

Some will say "If you feel great on a 70 percent day, still do 70 percent. Save it for next time when you have to do 85 percent!"

You decide to 'save it for next time', but then you realize that when 'next time' rolls around, you've got the flu and your girlfriend just left you.

The world won't conform to your percentages. All is in flux.

When it comes to pulling, carpe diem.

-Rex

Edited by The Natural

12-27

Deadlift

495 x 3 x 2 sets

Dumbbell Rows

204 x 7

Very strong dumbell rows Eric. Have you ever done Kroc rows? If so what did you think of them?

Thanks, Kevin. I'm not familiar with the term "Kroc". What exactly are they?

Eric-

Stay the course with the sumos bro, you have not even begun to give them enough time. Pull sumo for awhile and when you go back to conventional, you are going to see a huge increase in strength. Trust me. Keep the close stance squats and rack pulls (with conventional stance) in, also do some back ext. with a barbell across your shoulders. Strive to add 5 pounds each time you do them and do sets of 10. This pumps my lower back up so much I get sick to my stomach. Don't forget your heavy ab work as well.

Also, you might want to consider adding in some serious lat work. Heavy 1-arm rows, pull-downs, t-bars, and chest supported rows really upped my deadlift strength. Me speed went to sh*t, but my strength was better then ever and I was pulling weights with no sticking point what-so-ever.

Good luck chasing 700. When ever I decide to get back to training I am going to chase 800....

-Rick

Very strong dumbell rows Eric. Have you ever done Kroc rows? If so what did you think of them?

Thanks, Kevin. I'm not familiar with the term "Kroc". What exactly are they?

They are named after Matt Kroczaleski. He does high rep rows (with some pretty heavy weight). Here's a video:

He talks about dumbell rows in his EliteFTS.com interview (it's on youtube).

Eric-

Stay the course with the sumos bro, you have not even begun to give them enough time. Pull sumo for awhile and when you go back to conventional, you are going to see a huge increase in strength. Trust me. Keep the close stance squats and rack pulls (with conventional stance) in, also do some back ext. with a barbell across your shoulders. Strive to add 5 pounds each time you do them and do sets of 10. This pumps my lower back up so much I get sick to my stomach. Don't forget your heavy ab work as well.

Also, you might want to consider adding in some serious lat work. Heavy 1-arm rows, pull-downs, t-bars, and chest supported rows really upped my deadlift strength. Me speed went to sh*t, but my strength was better then ever and I was pulling weights with no sticking point what-so-ever.

Good luck chasing 700. When ever I decide to get back to training I am going to chase 800....

-Rick

great advice.. i know alot of guys that train sumo and pull conventional in meets. They say sumos compliment conventionals really well but not vice versa from my experience. I'm going to be doing a round of sumos soon myself to get my hip and lowerback work up to par. I'm also in agreement on the back work. HEavy back training paid huge dividends when it came to pulling for me. I never lost the speed since i incorporated alot of speed work into my deads at the time.

Have you ever done Kroc rows? If so what did you think of them?

Kevin, that's similar to the way I usually do them. I place one knee and a hand on a bench. They are my favorite lat exercise.

Eric-

-Rick

Rick, the sumo deads also are good for breaking up the monotony and staleness when it creeps in. I'm leaning towards staying in the 198 class and shooting for something like a 633 raw deadlift. And yeah, things like good mornings really stress my lower back in a good way.

12-30

Squat

390 x 3 (felt very stiff and sore for some unbeknownst reason)

Bench Press

280 x 3

Close Grip Bench

225 x 5

1-02

Good Mornings

225 x 12

Dumbbell Rows

174 x 15