Cberg's Bending Log

cberg

tried some braced bending today for the first time! did a 12" FBBC spike. i started it over my thigh. the kink was pretty tough but after i got it to about 20 degrees it just melted. the 12 inch length makes the crush a joke. it was a fun bend and I can definitely see myself getting into this braced stuff also.

http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/122670101...2_990_23838.jpg

I also have a couple of spikes that are dull with some rust on them. i havent tried one yet but does anyone know how much harder they are (I assume they are harder)?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cberg

• ewokhugo

• easyWeight

• MalachiMcMullen

tried some braced bending today for the first time! did a 12" FBBC spike. i started it over my thigh. the kink was pretty tough but after i got it to about 20 degrees it just melted. the 12 inch length makes the crush a joke. it was a fun bend and I can definitely see myself getting into this braced stuff also.

http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/122670101...2_990_23838.jpg

I also have a couple of spikes that are dull with some rust on them. i havent tried one yet but does anyone know how much harder they are (I assume they are harder)?

Not bad man!!! Better than I did my first time ;)

PM "Tim T" and ask him. There should be marks and/or dashes near the head of the spike that can sometimes denote a certain brand. For the record, all the dull spikes I have encountered have been hard ones :)

Thanks Zach!

just tried one of those dull 10'' spikes. nothing lol. good for isos i guess. might have to get some shiny 10 inchers. with a lot of effort I think I might be able to take down one of those.

also tried my first horseshoe bend tonight, a SCF ultralite #2. It wasnt too tough except I couldnt quite heart it. It was moving smoothly the whole time and then I just hit a wall. Might try finishing it off tomorrow after some rest. It was definitely a good workout though I think I used every muscle in my entire body. Thanks again Zach for the info it was very helpful.

horseshoe bend: http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/122670101...52_990_8673.jpg

Looks like you hit the wall where the pads kept slipping off and you couldn't put enough pressure through them to move that leg further. I can't imagine it was because of a lack of strength. There comes a point where your literally pushing on the sides of the shoe to move it further. You basically hearted it :happy Your certainly good to "S" a Polo 1 ;)

Looks like you hit the wall where the pads kept slipping off and you couldn't put enough pressure through them to move that leg further. I can't imagine it was because of a lack of strength. There comes a point where your literally pushing on the sides of the shoe to move it further. You basically hearted it :happyYour certainly good to "S" a Polo 1 ;)

:D

too bad I dont have any polo 1s :(. just got a DC 0 that looks like a beast. Goona have to give John some business soon.

Bent a 12" spike on vid today, kinked a little easier than last time. About the whole cert process, I just need a vid right, dont need a witness too? And do I have to fill out a form or anything?

Looks like you hit the wall where the pads kept slipping off and you couldn't put enough pressure through them to move that leg further. I can't imagine it was because of a lack of strength. There comes a point where your literally pushing on the sides of the shoe to move it further. You basically hearted it :happyYour certainly good to "S" a Polo 1 ;)

too bad I dont have any polo 1s :(. just got a DC 0 that looks like a beast. Goona have to give John some business soon.

Bent a 12" spike on vid today, kinked a little easier than last time. About the whole cert process, I just need a vid right, dont need a witness too? And do I have to fill out a form or anything?

Actually, you just have to send me $20 and you're golden. :D

Actually, you just have to send me $20 and you're golden. :D

hahaha :D

ill give you that 20$ if you trade hands with me. that thing is seriously twice as big as mine :blink

did some unbraced bending again for the first time in ages it seems. Definitely happy with the result. In my first session I bent 4 or 5 bastards that were prekinked to about 10 degrees from a couple months ago. Wasnt too tough. Then I took a piece of 7X3/8 HRS from 30 to 90 degrees. Definitely wasnt expecting that much movement! I have a feeling its only gonna get harder from there though, real wide bend on it. In the 2nd session I tackled a 6"X5/16 piece of 1018 CRS, so basically a huge bastard. Got it to 3.5" in less than 2 minutes, but the crush took me about 20. It was a PR though, the last time I tried one of these pieces it got stuck at 90 so definitely a big improvement.

6X5/16 killed : http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/122670101...2_990_66907.jpg

Nice job man! I hate going much shorter than 6", always gets super akward. You'll get that 3/8 HRS piece soon enough ;)

Nice job man! I hate going much shorter than 6", always gets super akward. You'll get that 3/8 HRS piece soon enough ;)

Same here. 6"-7" is where I seem to be most comfortable. Moved that 3/8 some more last night but Im not posting a pic until that sucker is done! Im ordering some shinys today :rock . Cant wait to see where I stand.

nice bending! keep killin'em - you have to get some stainless! defenitly ask for some for in your stocking - prolly be one heavy stocking :laugh

nice bending! keep killin'em - you have to get some stainless! defenitly ask for some for in your stocking - prolly be one heavy stocking :laugh

Thanks Paul! The stainless is on its way!! prolly wont be here in time for xmas tho so the stocking will have to wait till next year :laugh

Has another bending session tonight. Cut 1/8" off of a 6" piece of CRS and went to work. Didnt get it in 5 mins :angry: but ill blame that on yesterdays heavy pressing workout :laugh . Also ordered some crush pads from FBBC today. Cant wait to try em out!

http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/122848676...2_990_59247.jpg

Thanks Paul! The stainless is on its way!! prolly wont be here in time for xmas tho so the stocking will have to wait till next year :laugh

Has another bending session tonight. Cut 1/8" off of a 6" piece of CRS and went to work. Didnt get it in 5 mins :angry: but ill blame that on yesterdays heavy pressing workout :laugh . Also ordered some crush pads from FBBC today. Cant wait to try em out!

http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/122848676...2_990_59247.jpg

Didn't get it in 5 minutes but destroyed it nonetheless ;)

Had my best day EVER as a bender today. Started off with a volume workout, bending all sorts of stuff. Was about to call it a day when I discovered an unharmed piece of brutal hex so I just had to give it a go. Did some damage to it and I think I could have finished it had I not tore a flap of skin off my palm. My previous best with it was about 20 degrees but the kink just melted for some reason. Definitely the easiest part which is strange cause Ive mostly been working my crush lately. Gonna let this hand heal and when I come back, this thing is gonna get killed!

http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/122848676...2_990_16897.jpg

had a go at an edgin of the triangle variety today. Kink felt surprinsingly easy, pretty similar to the brutal hex, maybe a tad harder. Thought it was going pretty good till I got to about 90 and hit my dreaded sticking point, Exactly where I thought it would stop me! Got some stainless on the way so hopefully thatll help me break through.

http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/122937577...2_990_24400.jpg

NOT BAD CAOLAN!!! That's a hell of a lot more movement than I put in my first Edgin!!!

NOT BAD CAOLAN!!! That's a hell of a lot more movement than I put in my first Edgin!!!

Thanks Zach Im comin for ya :devil! kinda disappointed though, that was my only edgin!! you know if home depot carries any?? thats the only hardware store thats near me.

• 4 weeks later...

Had my first bending workout in a very long time yesterday!!!! had pneumonia from dec. 23 until about a week ago. Not Fun. Didnt seem to lose much strength though. Had my first try at some stainless, a huge shiny. The kink to 90 degrees felt pretty easy but after that it was a different story. Man that stuff freezes up. Managed to get it to about 3 1/8". Hopefully next workout I can finish it off or at least get close!

http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/123159050...2_990_87286.jpg

Had my first bending workout in a very long time yesterday!!!! had pneumonia from dec. 23 until about a week ago. Not Fun. Didnt seem to lose much strength though. Had my first try at some stainless, a huge shiny. The kink to 90 degrees felt pretty easy but after that it was a different story. Man that stuff freezes up. Managed to get it to about 3 1/8". Hopefully next workout I can finish it off or at least get close!

No joke, that's where my first huge shiny attempt ended up; Right around 4". I haven't attempted one since but I don't think the damage would be much better. Though, I got a 6" Edgin stuck in exactly the same spot :blink

Glad to see your back at it! I was worried for a bit that you might've ended up being another brief flame on the GB :blush Your too good to quit!!!

No joke, that's where my first huge shiny attempt ended up; Right around 4". I haven't attempted one since but I don't think the damage would be much better. Though, I got a 6" Edgin stuck in exactly the same spot :blink

Glad to see your back at it! I was worried for a bit that you might've ended up being another brief flame on the GB :blush Your too good to quit!!!

No way man. This stuff is too addicting, I cant quit! Feels good to be back at it too!

Tried to crush that huge shiny down just now. Got maybe 1 mm of movement. That was fun haha. Gonna try a shiny in a couple days. I think I should be able to get that.

did a little damage to a big square today. my kink is definitely stronger than its ever been. I need to stop postponing my shiny bend though. This weekend, the shiny is going down!