Tried Some 11/32 Drillrod Today

CaptainCrush

Took another hit on the 7 inch bar that I am trying to bend from straight. It kinked just very slightly since last time. I can fit a quarter under one end of the bar now :D

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CaptainCrush

• ox3782

• MalachiMcMullen

• foxyj75

Nice Chad its going down!!! :mosher:mosher:mosher

Brendan

Played around with a 6.5 x 11/32 drillrod just now. Used the pads that were wrapped for a 3/8 bar but I still managed to kink it pretty good, probably to 60 degrees or so. I'll get it down as far as I can tomorrow after I wrap it up real tight.

Paul I'm starting to think you'll be cutting one down to 6 inches right after you humiliate the 7 inch drillrod! :D

6.5 x 11/32 0-1 Drillrod kinked

Edited by CaptainCrush

Took a couple more hits with the same loose 3/8 pads...IT'S LOADING UP LIKE CRAZY ON THE CRUSH COMPARED TO THE 7 INCH! :(

Big 11/32 Drillrod crushed further

Chad, I noticed the same thing on the 3/8'' crs I've been bending. At 6.5'', the crush is crazy, but not impossible feeling; cut down to 6'' though, and from kink through the sweep, it's noticably harder, but not a ton harder than the 6.5''......but the crush, WOW! :blink I dunno if it's the greater surface area deformation of the bigger stock or what, but it seems to be a proportionately larger jump in crush difficulty than the same length 5/16'' stock.

Took a couple more hits with the same loose 3/8 pads...IT'S LOADING UP LIKE CRAZY ON THE CRUSH COMPARED TO THE 7 INCH! :(

Chad, I noticed the same thing on the 3/8'' crs I've been bending. At 6.5'', the crush is crazy, but not impossible feeling; cut down to 6'' though, and from kink through the sweep, it's noticably harder, but not a ton harder than the 6.5''......but the crush, WOW! :blink I dunno if it's the greater surface area deformation of the bigger stock or what, but it seems to be a proportionately larger jump in crush difficulty than the same length 5/16'' stock.

yeah man you are exactly right. The crushdown of the 7 inch drillrod went down pretty good. It was a tad easier than the 6 inch Triangle Edgin. For as hard as the 6.5 inch drillrod got by the time it hit crushdown territory I don't think I'll be able to get it all in one day. :D

I can't wait to see you crushing down the 6 inch piece of drillrod I sent. Should be there on thursday!

Edited by CaptainCrush

Nice Chad!!!

I am going to give this stuff a run tommorow@7"

yeah man you are exactly right. The crushdown of the 7 inch drillrod went down pretty good. It was a tad easier than the 6 inch Triangle Edgin. For as hard as the 6.5 inch drillrod got by the time it hit crushdown territory I don't think I'll be able to get it all in one day. :D

I can't wait to see you crushing down the 6 inch piece of drillrod I sent. Should be there on thursday!

:blink not so sure I'll be smashing that 7" bar like you think if its only a little easier than a 6" triangle - my crush is my weakness :unsure, but I'll give it my damnedest (sp?)

:blink not so sure I'll be smashing that 7" bar like you think if its only a little easier than a 6" triangle - my crush is my weakness :unsure, but I'll give it my damnedest (sp?)

You crushed down a BKOAB...I think you'll do just fine :)

Nice Chad!!!

Try to bend it fast and keep that steel hot. It really becomes a sob once it cools down. :flame:help

Nice Chad!!!

Try to bend it fast and keep that steel hot. It really becomes a sob once it cools down. :flame:help

Thank you Chad I will give everything I have!!!

Chad, I can see that your 7'' kink has improved alot. I have noticed that since I have been bending this 3/8'' stuff at 6.5''(or trying to! :D ), My strength and flexibility at 7'' have improved dramatically. As per Zach's advice, and all the stretching from the isos on the longer stuff, I really feel more comfortable with a long bar up that high. I actually bent a 7'' triangle edgin for the first time tonight just messing around out in the garage. It was like 1.5'' off center, but I was able to kink it easily, where as before it was just so uncomfortable, I couldn't get any power into it.

Have you noticed any of this same stuff Chad?

Chad, I can see that your 7'' kink has improved alot. I have noticed that since I have been bending this 3/8'' stuff at 6.5''(or trying to! :D ), My strength and flexibility at 7'' have improved dramatically. As per Zach's advice, and all the stretching from the isos on the longer stuff, I really feel more comfortable with a long bar up that high. I actually bent a 7'' triangle edgin for the first time tonight just messing around out in the garage. It was like 1.5'' off center, but I was able to kink it easily, where as before it was just so uncomfortable, I couldn't get any power into it.

Nice Jeremiah

Flexibility and power like yours=Big bars dead

Nice Jeremiah

Flexibility and power like yours=Big bars dead

That's what I said Brendan!

It's great to hear it's working out for you Jeremiah!!! See you Saturday :rock

Of course I have. I think it's just our body's adapting and getting used to pushing on the bars farther apart. Just like you it took me a heck of a long time to get that triangle edgin at 7 inches to start moving where I was getting more of a kink out of the 6 inch Triangle.

I'm actually starting to get comfortable with the longer stuff now but after I take down the KOAB (one of these days) I'll probably start going for the shorter stuff again.

I was messing around with an insane bastard last night and man did it feel awkward just holding onto it after not doing any real short bar bending in a while.

With the 7 inch stuff I found if I kind of start the bend kind of hunched over with the bar under my neck, it feels better than trying to start it standing straight up too.

This stuff is mean just as I thought I would not be able to fininsh it took it to 115 degrees about 4" in between the legs I will push some more today but wow.

Impressive stuff for sure and really great job crushing it down Chad.

Good luck with it Jeremiah and Paul!!!

Brendan

Great attempt man!!

Take a little rest then go out there and do some more damage to it.

Just a warning that once that 7 inch piece gets to about 2.5 inches between ends it really starts becoming one hell of a bastard! :D

Just went back out to the garage and gave the 6.5 x 11/32 drillrod some more. I got it to 3 1/4" and there she froze. Interlock finger crushdown gave me nothing!!

I think maybe this 6 straight days of bending hell is finally catching up with me. Time for some rest.

Big Drillrod to 3 1/4"