Matt Brouse

Monday 17th November

2 x 20 x 20kg

1 x 15 x 60kg

1 x 12 x 100kg

1 x 6 x 120kg

1 x 5 x 140kg

1 x 5 x 160kg these were feeling light 6 weeks ago but not anymore

1 x 1 x 170kg aiming for 5 got 1 not good!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matt Brouse

• Stew

• Chris Mathison

• raymo

Sunday, November 16th, 2008 - Bodyweight 274lbs.

This one in the fieldhouse at the Univ.

Incline Bench Press (who does that?!)

45x10x2

95x5

135x5

185x5

225x5

275x5

300x1

315x1

335x0 - Pussy.

Push Jerk Behind the Neck - Old friend, it's been far too long...

135x3

185x3

225x3

275x3

315xugh, wow...

DB Pullovers, Others.

Thursday, Novemeber 20th, 2008

7:00am

DE Bench Press - Everything plus Red Mini's

185x3x4sets - too slow, I've got video proof

Barbell Jerk

135x3x2

185x3x2

225x3x2

Low Pulley Row - Wide Grip

150x10x2

180x10

200x10

These are PR's

Lateral Raises, Tricep Extensions...

Monday 17th November

2 x 20 x 20kg

1 x 15 x 60kg

1 x 12 x 100kg

1 x 6 x 120kg

1 x 5 x 140kg

Stew,

Remember - you're a Chunky Monkey - you look like you could Bench a house! Don't be worried about it. In my Benching days, which is a long time ago, I would load the bar - and then do nothing for a few minutes - to give the weights a chance of running away. If they were still there after I'd given them a chance to run - I would let them know who was boss.

If by chance this doesn't work - so what - just leave the Gym, go home, and take Cath out for dinner somewhere. There are far more important things in life than busting your nuts under some rusty old weights (or new ones) - it's all about Jigsaw puzzles - don't forget that.

I found that I was strongest on the Bench when I trained it every 5th day, one session close grip, one session regular grip - you need to be fresh - and you need to be keen to lift some big weights.

If you want to come over and train at my place, you are most welcome anytime. If it goes well, we can go out and eat and drink in celebration - if it doesn't go well, we can go out and eat and drink more - if we drink enough we won't be able to remember how bad the session was!

Good luck, and pass on my best wishes to Cath.

Laine

Edited by LAINE SNOOK

Monday 17th November

2 x 20 x 20kg

1 x 15 x 60kg

1 x 12 x 100kg

1 x 6 x 120kg

1 x 5 x 140kg

Stew,

Remember - you're a Chunky Monkey - you look like you could Bench a house! Don't be worried about it. In my Benching days, which is a long time ago, I would load the bar - and then do nothing for a few minutes - to give the weights a chance of running away. If they were still there after I'd given them a chance to run - I would let them know who was boss.

If by chance this doesn't work - so what - just leave the Gym, go home, and take Cath out for dinner somewhere. There are far more important things in life than busting your nuts under some rusty old weights (or new ones) - it's all about Jigsaw puzzles - don't forget that.

I found that I was strongest on the Bench when I trained it every 5th day, one session close grip, one session regular grip - you need to be fresh - and you need to be keen to lift some big weights.

If you want to come over and train at my place, you are most welcome anytime. If it goes well, we can go out and eat and drink in celebration - if it doesn't go well, we can go out and eat and drink more - if we drink enough we won't be able to remember how bad the session was!

Good luck, and pass on my best wishes to Cath.

Laine

Thanks Laine, I'm gonna give that a try hopefully by the time I return to the bar a few weights will have run off and it will be a bit lighter. I seem to be just having one of those lulls at the moment, cant put my finger on it but its probably more mental than physical.

Cath likes your training tips "If by chance this doesn't work - so what - just leave the Gym, go home, and take Cath out for dinner somewhere"

I will be in touch to sort some training out in the near future, it'll be good to see you again.

Stew

Monday 24th November

Little bit of a shake up to try and get the ball rolling again in the right direction

Decline axle benchpress

2 x 15 x 40kg

1 x 12 x 80kg

1 x 8 x 120kg

1 x 5 x 150kg

1 x 5 x 160kg last one was hard

1 x 2 x 170kg felt ok but wouldn't have got a 3rd

Powertech high Incline chest press

1 x 10 x 80kg plate weight

1 x 10 x 120kg " "

1 x 8 x 160kg " "

1 x 3 x 200kg " "

Incline dumbell flyes

1 x 10 x 20kg per hand

1 x 10 x 27.5kg " "

1 x 6 x 37.5kg " "

Sunday November 23rd, 2008 - I was 280lbs. last night on my bathroom scale in the NUDE. But I also packed some serious face all day.

Floor Press - None of these felt right, I was really pausing though...

45x15

95x10

135x8

185x5

225x5

275x5

315x5

345x3

375xone big terrible failure.

315x4

275x5

What a coincidence, I did floor presses yesterday too, heh. Brutal indeed....

• 2 weeks later...

Taking a break at the moment as Ive become very stale and need to re-focus, I hope to be back and firing on all cylinders in the new year and will start to post my workouts again then.

Hopefully Matt will keep posting as this race is very much still on even if for me just a little postponed.

One of the biggest (and best) parts of effective training is resting. And laying off when you're smart enough to recognize the need. Good luck Stew.

Sunday December 7th, 2008

Reverse Band Bench Press - Single Blue, off the chest

Worked up to a triple with 425 and a single at 455, narrowly missed 475.

Both of those are PR's as I recall but I better double check that. Either way good day. Got some tremendous upper back work in as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Good shit Brouse. It may not be a bench but I can assure you that your stronger bench helped you lock that press out.

Edited by Chris Mathison

• 5 weeks later...

Stronger bench transfers yet again. A couple weeks ago I beat my strict press PR of 225 with a lift of 232, actually done on a 14" cambered bar. Nasty, BTW.

Well, today I worked in some strict press on the axle after some CandP's and hit 242 and 253, each for one. PR's. So, I am not training BP as exclusively as I was for a few months but the pressing, in general, is definitely stronger.

Stronger bench transfers yet again. A couple weeks ago I beat my strict press PR of 225 with a lift of 232, actually done on a 14" cambered bar. Nasty, BTW.

Well, today I worked in some strict press on the axle after some CandP's and hit 242 and 253, each for one. PR's. So, I am not training BP as exclusively as I was for a few months but the pressing, in general, is definitely stronger.

IMHO the bench is a very poor way to improve bench strength. Press every other way there is to improve bench strength; incline, decline, millitary, DB, whatever... practice bench only to improve bench technique.

• 2 weeks later...

Worked up in sets of 4 to a PR of 365x4, then, of course, a single at 385 which was tough after all dem repo's. I also got to thinking that I haven't actually worked up to a legit "comp" style max in a while... so I could only guess. Will work on that.