Stew Vs. Brouse

Matt Brouse

No kidding Matt.. Stew is power on the bench.. Have you bitten off more than you can chew? :D

Hopefully. That's the idea.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matt Brouse

• Stew

• Chris Mathison

• raymo

That's about right Matt but there's a long way to go, helps that my training partner is ahead of me (around 185kg x 5 final set) giving me something to shoot at. The training i'm doing and its the same format for most of the big exercises squat ,bench ,deadlift etc is working but both myself and my training partner are suffering more and more little injury niggles which tells me we will need to back off a little over the next week or two to let those settle down before they go from little niggles to full blown injurys.

On a brighter note since competing in the teamstrongman comp at the beggining of August and nearly dying after the sled drag medley I have managed to drop around 26lb bodyweight without giving up any strength which I'm very pleased with as ive been restricting carbs and doing a lot of cardio which may have had a negative effect on my strength. Hoping that when I reach my target weight and fitness (maybe a few more weeks) I will be able to reintroduce some of the carbs and hopefully this will give me the boost I need to go for a 200kg single which is my next big target ( I will video it for the log if/when it happens).

Sunday 5th October

Flat bench

2 x 20 x 40kg

1 x 20 x 60kg

1 x 20 x 80kg

1 x 17 x 100kg

1 x 11 x 120kg

This was the start of a hi rep hi volume but moderately low weight chest and bicep workout iwhich lasted 2hrs and we attempted to do 20 reps or failure on every set, 10hrs on i'm very sore and by tommorow I wont be able to move but no tendon niggles or injury worries so happy.

we will be repeating similar for our deadlft and squat workouts which doesn't sound like to much fun, get the bucket ready lol

Good God, Stew!

Competed this sat so I came in for an impromtu DE bench workout. Felt like ars.

Sunday, October 5th, 2008

DE Bench Press

45x10x2

95x5x2

135x3

185x3

205x3

235x3x2sets

Some failed DB presses.

Tate Press

40x12

45x12

50x12

Push Downs...

Pretty terrible all around but not a typical training day let alone BP day....See ya Wednesday!

Wednesday October 8th, 2008

Bench Press

45x10x2

95x5x2

135x5

185x3

225x3

275x3

4 Board Bench Press

315x3

365x3

405x3

Swiss Ball Dumbbell Bench Press

60x20

80x15 (5 too few)

JM Press

105x10

135x10

Dips

BWx10x2

Decent.

Monday 13th October.

Planned to go back to our normal 5 rep program today after our mammoth 20 rep per set efforts on everything last week (back day was by far the worst even worse than the squats)

Flat bench press

1 x 20 x 20kg

1 x 20 x 60kg

1 x 12 x 100kg

1 x 5 x 140kg (this is where it started to go wrong, these really didn't feel light)

1 x 4 x 160kg (this is where it got worse, what's normally a fairly easy 5 turned into a not at all easy 4)

1 x 1 x 180kg ( a very slow grinder of a single)

Dont know whether its the amount of cardio and weight loss starting to kick in or whether we were still just wasted from the gruelling high rep stuff last week, my training partners strength was down aswell and he's not dieting so its probably the latter.

Strange thing was before the workout I felt good, all my little tendon niggles had settled and I was talking about going for the 200kg if I could get a few at 180kg so not really happy but hopefully will get back to normal next week.

Sounds like you just need a week off. Sometimes thats the hardest thing to do.

Your probably right Chris but like you say that's a hard one. I will see how it goes next week and if I havn't picked back up I may at least lay off the cardio for a week as Iv'e been pushing myself a bit on this lately and it is leaving me a bit drained at times. Hopefully its just an off week, its been going pretty well for a while so I was probably due bad one at some point

You just gotta try and relish the off weeks. But not too much...

Wednesday October 15th, 2008

ME Bench Press - Pinkies ~1cm inside ring...

- 2 Board

45x10x2

95x10

135x5

185x5

225x5

275x3

335x3

365x2

385x2

315x6 - Very Fast

- No Board

225x15

Had some shoulder discomfort early on but I think that's because I skipped my usual shoulder series workout. This felt good overall...been a while since I could say that.

You just gotta try and relish the off weeks. But not too much...

Wednesday October 15th, 2008

ME Bench Press - Pinkies ~1cm inside ring...

- 2 Board

45x10x2

95x10

135x5

185x5

225x5

275x3

335x3

365x2

385x2

315x6 - Very Fast

- No Board

225x15

Had some shoulder discomfort early on but I think that's because I skipped my usual shoulder series workout. This felt good overall...been a while since I could say that.

very good!

Why grip so narrow?

don't you want to get a wider grip with monkey arms

i guarantee you I can bench more with that grip than with my ring finger on the ring. For sure. My chest is weak sauce...which is why I have been benching wider more recently until today. Have to switch the grips.

Thursday 16th

Close grip bench press (done as part of our tricep work) hands apprx 12-14 inches apart

1 x 20 x 40kg

1 x 12 x 80kg

1 x 5 x 120kg

1 x 5 x 160kg

The were all amazingly easy and in total contrast to Monday's bench work, left it there due to a slight elbow twinge but there was loads more in the tank.

First time doing close grip bench for 3-6 months as we usually do log bar presses but really pleased with these as they felt good and left the triceps pretty sore.

Edited by Stew

Monday 20th October

2 x 20 x 20kg

1 x 12 x 60kg

1 x 12 x 100kg

1 x 5 x 140kg

1 x 3 x 170kg

1 x 5 x 150kg

Still not quite back to where I was a couple of weeks ago, definetly the amount of cardio and weight loss having some effect I think, (now down 36lb but fitness has increased 10 fold for not very much strength loss so pretty happy)

interestingly 5 x 150kg feels very light when you have been upto 170kg first

Very odd how I found the close grips on Thursday were so easy and shows that my tri's are probably better than my chest which surprises me but for strongman its probably a good thing. It also shows the need to work the wider grip and hit the chest harder to bring it into line if I'm gonna get to the 500

Edited by Stew

Especially when you are already (or have been in some cases) strong, the strength with skyrocket back up as your body "resets" man.

Alright, so today, for I think the 3rd or 4th time I nonchalantly(sp?) decided to hit a couple heavy singles from the chest after working up in repetition work. This, as the previous times noted, was done in a crappy compas rec center with a terrible wobbly bench that was built crooked in the first place with no chalk at 9pm. Every third week will be more repetition stuff from the chest but this worked as another confidence booster. A lot in the tank after this one. Just playing it smart.

Bench Press

45x10

135x5

185x5

225x5

275x5

315x5

335x3

355x1

370x1

Chest supported row, Low Pulley row, out.

Edited by Matt Brouse

Monday 27th October

flat benchpress

2 x 20 x 20kg

1 x 15 x 60kg

1 x 10 x 100kg

1 x 5 x 140kg

1 x 3 x 170kg hard

1 x 5 x 150kg

1 x 1 x 180kg slightly worrying as this felt like it was a max

felt good but have definetly decided its the diet that's cuasing a bit of strength loss, not enough carbs feel like I cant contract hard enough but going to stick with it while I can still get a 180kg out, if I drop below that it will pretty much signify time to stop dieting and gradually add carbs back.

On a slightly different note matt, watched some of your vids on youtube which were very impressive but now cant seem to find them again so if you could add me or send me a link to one so I can subscribe that would be cool.

I can't seem to find the 4 board press on any of my training logs (online or otherwise) so I guess I am just wingin' it today. Wanna say I hit 405 or 415 for a duece, but not sure...

Hopefully those brats I'm eating for breakfast will have an anabolic effect.

No, you've got it all wrong. Babies. Brats are spoiled.

No, you've got it all wrong. Babies. Brats are spoiled.

Touche, sir. < <

Wednesday Oct. 29th, 2008 - Bodyweight frackin' jacked!

4 Board Press

45x10x3

95x10

135x5x2

185x5

225x3

275x3 (last one to the chest for warm-up)

315x3

365x3

405x3

430x1

Accessories felt good afterwards as well. Hopefully mix in some reverse band work this next time through. Maybe go Wk1: 3 or 4 board, Wk2: Reverse Bands, Wk3: Floor press, Wk4: of the chest...

• 2 weeks later...

Monday 3rd November

axle bench press

2 x 15 x 40kg

1 x 15 x 40kg

1 x 12 x 80kg

1 x 5 x 120kg

1 x 5 x 150kg

1 x 2 x 170kg hard

definately going backwards strengthwise at the moment but diet nearly over so hope to start increasing again soon, upping calouries just a tad this week to see if this makes any difference

Monday 10th November

2 x 20 x 20kg

1 x 15 x 60kg

1 x 12 x 100kg

1 x 6 x 120kg

1 x 5 x 140kg

1 x 5 x 160kg all felt hard

forearms burning after all the stuff we did at the BHSA getogther on Saturday so nothing was easy. didn't bother going any higher as energy levels were rubbish and even the warm ups felt tough.

Alright, contest out of the way. New schedule lined up (for now). Hoping to hit "The Future" tomorrow. Lightened method off the chest or 1 board with blues.

Monday 10th November

2 x 20 x 20kg

1 x 15 x 60kg

1 x 12 x 100kg

1 x 6 x 120kg

1 x 5 x 140kg

1 x 5 x 160kg all felt hard

forearms burning after all the stuff we did at the BHSA getogther on Saturday so nothing was easy. didn't bother going any higher as energy levels were rubbish and even the warm ups felt tough.

I didn't feel that bad after so somewhat foolishly carried on. I ended up having 4 days off. Laine said, as per his posts, he was worn out and I haven't seen Paul all week because 'I'm knackered from Saturday and 2 hard days at work'. I did my first proper day back today.