30 Pound Hammer Or Bust

Bob Lipinski

Thanks guys.

You are right Derek! Slim has a few things attributed to him, I forget the official best. Between 56-62 two handed. Two handed is a little easier than one handed, especially to make it look strict. We'll see what I do when the time comes.

From the floor, 16 is a challenge now. I am dilligently working this hard. Slim has 24-27 to his credit there. 20 is my short term goal.

Thanks guys.

You are right Derek! Slim has a few things attributed to him, I forget the official best. Between 56-62 two handed. Two handed is a little easier than one handed, especially to make it look strict. We'll see what I do when the time comes.

From the floor, 16 is a challenge now. I am dilligently working this hard. Slim has 24-27 to his credit there. 20 is my short term goal.

Amazing Bob! :rock

From the floor? someone have a link?

Thanks guys.

Amazing Bob! :rock

From the floor? someone have a link?

I can't link you to Slim video but Sean Rice is not far from 24lbs ;)

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=7495

Thanks guys.

I thought it was higher then that. I'll have to check my Slim DVD later but I could have sworn it was at least 70, but I could be wrong, I'll check later and let you know.

Paul, I can show you it next time you come here dude, it's pretty ridiculous.

Thanks guys.

I thought it was higher then that. I'll have to check my Slim DVD later but I could have sworn it was at least 70, but I could be wrong, I'll check later and let you know.

It was 69.5 and that was a double hammer. Bob was talking about a single hammer front lever from the floor :) It's much harder to do than a double hammer lb for lb so 24-27 would be very believable in that manner.

Thanks guys.

It was 69.5 and that was a double hammer. Bob was talking about a single hammer front lever from the floor :) It's much harder to do than a double hammer lb for lb so 24-27 would be very believable in that manner.

I know that Zach!!! I was talking about two handed, I know it was only around 30 or so for single hand. Thanks for the correction, now I don't have to hunt it down :D

For Slim's lifts I have heard all kinds of numbers, it is a pretty inner circle thing.

For my part, I will not claim anything near his league until I do 60 on double hammers from the floor. 30 to the face with one hand, and 20 from the floor is my immediate goal. From the floor will be my stumbling block, but I have to thank Sean Rice for giving me a little hint of what is possible.

sweet jesus mother mary,

That isn't a hammer - its a monster!

I have just started working levers into my training, and I am suprised how difficult they are, so kudos to anybody who can

• 4 weeks later...

I just got my 20lber today. It is true you can order them at Ace Hardware. That is where I got mine. This thing is massive. Bob you are a maniac putting 10lbs on this monster.

I can get it pretty strict hammer to parallel gripping just below halfway down. That is a looooong way to go. I don't even think I could control 30lbs holding it at the bottom of the handle. My homemade 15lb hammer feels much much smaller after toying with this thing. Doing regular lever stuff choked way up on it even feels harder, just trying to stabilize the weight of it wobbling around fries my arms in a totally different way than holding further down on a lighter hammer.

Maybe you have answered this before Bob and I apologize if you have, but how often do you train and how heavy do you go? Max singles every couple of days or lower weight for reps more often or what? I love the videos of the super strict levers you do on the arm of the couch.

Tim, your experience with stabilization mirrors mine- A heavy hammer feels way different, there is no replacement for a heavy hammer when trying to do hammer stuff. Whereas I could not touch anything above 400 pounds in the bench for 3 months then blow up a 600 shirted bench, in the hammer this is much harder.

As far as training, I haven't kept a set schedule in a while. Usually go heavy once a week, either low reps or singles close to a max, sometimes choked up a little on a heavy hammer, sometimes with normal length grip. Then another day I will hit a set or two for 15-20 reps. I play it by ear- Sometimes if I am bending and my wrists aren't great I might go once a week.

I've got thick wrists and a bit of the wrist training under my belt, so I might be able to get away with heavy stuff more than alot of guys. I imagine with your bending you have got enough conditioning there to be pretty durable too.