Sorinex Open House Day Of Strength

1stCoC

odin,

Man, I'm just speculating here, but I think if you handled that 'baby' Inch a bit more, and trained with it some (dynamic pulls, e.g.), you'd get the Inch within three months or less. I know it's not very near your home, but it seems like a great implement in preparation for the real thing. Props.

-Rex

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• odin

• 1stCoC

• twig

• MalachiMcMullen

Burkhard, I have video of the actual DL and some near misses. I just need to edit it, figure out how to turn some of it that was taken sideways and upload it. I will try to do that as soon as possible.

That's really cool!! :)

Bob,

Awesome work! It was a pleasure to meet you, and to see you work for so hard, being so focused was amazing and inspiring. I can't believe you played with those grip toys for so long, and kept getting stronger! It is like you were gaining power from them. You should be very proud of your recent accomplishments, and know that you have a tremendous amount of respect from the folks here at Sorinex.

Keep on grippin', hope to see you again soon.

Bert Sorin

Bob,

Awesome work! It was a pleasure to meet you, and to see you work for so hard, being so focused was amazing and inspiring. I can't believe you played with those grip toys for so long, and kept getting stronger! It is like you were gaining power from them. You should be very proud of your recent accomplishments, and know that you have a tremendous amount of respect from the folks here at Sorinex.

Keep on grippin', hope to see you again soon.

Bert Sorin

Bert and everyone, thanks a lot for the very kind words. It was so much fun i couldn't stop if I wanted to. I was really impressed by the sheer volume of super-strong guys that were at Sorinex, simply astonishing. It was a dream come true to go to Sorinex and meet you and Richard and see all the grip history.

I tried shrinking the videos last night to send to Jeff Goergen's email as was suggested, but kept getting bouncebacks until the size made the quality compromised. If the quality of anything he received is unacceptable, I can send it to a different email address that takes larger attachments (gmail can take up to ~20 MB) or I can FedEx a CD.

I will be back as soon as I can.

Best Regards,

Bob

That was really cool stuff Bob! very impressive

i have no reason to doubt : Bob its not from this planet!

U wont notice him unless he pick a HUGE stone and lift it !

Impressive! size doesnt matter , its a combination of a very strong mind/inner power and desire to improve every time.

Lifting the Original Blob

I know there are guys like Twig and others who want all the details, so I'll elaborate a bit more. I'd heard about the Sorinex Open House Day Of Strength when it was first announced on the GB and thought it might be a good opportunity to take a shot at the Original Blob. My training had been going pretty well, even though my pinch is always more inconsistent than I'd like. I didn't decide for sure that I was going until a few days before the event during a phone call with Eaton. On Thursday night, I felt like I wanted to boost my confidence a bit, so I did some plate pinching with 5 dimes. I wanted to get a LH and double 5x10s lift and it went well, but I stopped short of fatigue and I didn't workout Friday.

On Saturday I woke up feeling a sense of resolve. I decided when I woke up that I was going to lift the Original Blob. I realized that it was not going to be easy to go somewhere where no one knew who I was and pull off such a feat, so my plan was to keep at it until they threw me out. My pinch with the Blob sometimes takes a while to warm up and then keeps getting stronger.

I dropped my wife off at work and felt a sense of destiny during the entire 1 and 1/2 hour drive. Song after song on the radio kept playing that I really enjoyed, which contributed to my positive mood. When I pulled up in the parking lot, I felt an almost religious sense of focus and reverence for where I was, the most grip-oriented training facility I've ever heard of and the birthplace of The Blob.

I walked into the main gym area, looked around, and then returned to the car for five minutes to re-establish my focus and resolve. I went back into the gym and there was Big Tex, Richard and other big guys lifting anvils (saw Tex lift the 149 and 173 at the same time) and Richard pulling the 132 lb. Inch up to his shoulder. I wanted to try some of the items, but thought it might be an exhibition that required an invite or signing a release.

The grip display wrapped up and a great deadlift competition heated up, there was a lot of energy in the air and I saw one athlete pull a 3x bodyweight DL after looking like he had missed it after the first few inches, one of the guttiest things I've ever seen. I felt absolutely invisible as I was probably the skinniest man there and perhaps nothing about my physical appearance radiated physical strength.

While the DL comp was going on, I kept test lifting a 52.5 lb. Blob in the grip area. It felt pretty nice, so I just picked it up a few inches and set it down several times. Finally, after the DLs were done, Richard saw me and asked "How would you like to try the Original Blob" and I happily accepted his offer. I felt like I was handling a sacred object and even asked if chalk was allowed. I broke it off the ground many times, but just couldn't finish it off. I didn't get frustrated, because I knew it was just a matter of time before I locked in and pulled it all the way up, because I knew I was close. I raised several to mid shin and even as high as my knee, but it kept squirting out of my hand. Between my Blob efforts, I couldn't stop playing with the anvils, Circus DB and 132 lb. Inch. People came and went, and Richard was preparing the feast as most were gathered outside, but I continued my efforts.

Finally, I walked over to the legendary Blob, locked onto it and quickly pulled it aloft to full DL position. I said "I got it" and waved to the few remaining spectators with my LH at the top of the lift. I went over to the camera, and it had captured the moment. In retrospect, I should have left it on as I was seeking out Richard. I did get a picture with Big Tex congratulating me. Finally, I found Richard and he shook my hand after commenting on the levelness of the lift. I felt a deep sense of satisfaction and connection with history as I thought of all the brutally strong men who'd tried and failed to budge this seemingly unliftable object that was invented by grip legend Richard Sorin. Another layer of the deap-seated sense of physical weakness I've had since childhood had been vanquished in my quest to become a man of strength.

Thank you Richard, Bert and everyone at Sorinex. This whole experience was really a dream come true and I will return as often as I can. When I got home and watched the video, I realized that I did not notice until then that there was music playing in the gym, that is how narrow my focus was.

Bob Sundin

Richard,

My sincere apologies for not being there... I wish I could of been, however taking care of some personal business kept me away this time.

It sounds like everyone had fun and there was a great time had by all those who attended. I will mark it on my calendar for this time next year... ;):happy