Michigan Grip 6

Bob Lipinski

Josh - it's pretty easy to make a hand and thigh handle - some webbing and a short piece of 1" solid is all you need. The weight is what - 770# - you can do that I'm sure but it is good to practice the lift of course.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bob Lipinski

• jad

• MalachiMcMullen

• barbe705

we did hand and thigh at gripmas 06. The most important part was getting the handle adjusted to the right height for you. I'm assuming we'll be able to adjust the appearatus before starting the medley.

For my part, I ran out of squat before I ran out of grip.

Brent

I don't think the weight will be too difficult for most grip guys, and really Josh I think it wouldn't be worth it to train, you'd get much better bang for your buck elsewhere.

Yep, you can adjust the apparatus before the medley. If time is going okay before the medley, I might even allow a half an hour break for people to play around. Getting the right chain height is the key.

I've only done the lift 3-4 times, and that is only when I go to Don's.

Practice the lift meant to do it enough times to get the setup height dialed in beforehand and to be honest some heavy rack pulls etc won't hurt anything either if you aren't doing a lot of heavy pulling as part of your regular workouts like many grip only guys do. You'll be surprised how much your body compresses with that kind of weight in your hands. I know my traps were real sore after we did it down here - of course we did a series of lifts up to a max then also. It's a fun lift - and while you all are at Don's - give the hip lift a try after the contest - it's something very few places except Don has the equipment for - go for a ton - I'm sure some of you can do it.

Practice the lift meant to do it enough times to get the setup height dialed in beforehand and to be honest some heavy rack pulls etc won't hurt anything either if you aren't doing a lot of heavy pulling as part of your regular workouts like many grip only guys do. You'll be surprised how much your body compresses with that kind of weight in your hands. I know my traps were real sore after we did it down here - of course we did a series of lifts up to a max then also. It's a fun lift - and while you all are at Don's - give the hip lift a try after the contest - it's something very few places except Don has the equipment for - go for a ton - I'm sure some of you can do it.

Thanks guys for all the tips. I've been alternating 20 rep squats and hang cleans as my big lift on gym days. I was thinking maybe replace them with heavy rack pulls till MGC....the hang cleans are just so much fun though.

If you are doing 200+ in the hang cleans and have a strong grip, you should be fine.

No competitor list yet! Not making anyone preregister, so about a month out I will get a list of names and see who I am expecting.

BTW, http://gripempire.com is now a sponsor.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure I'll be able to attend. Pretty bummed out.

It's a vacation scheduling thing, so I am not sure.

What's the chances of someone picking me up at an airport if I fly out Friday night?

You will have no problem with that weight on the H&T lift Josh.

Hey Jedd, if it means you will make it out, I can pick you up! I was planning on leaving earlier, but I live about 30 minutes from Detroit Metro DTW airport. Let me know!

Dan

I'm going to be bringing a lot of cool used horseshoes that I got from the local stables to trade/give away. If anybody has any stuff to sell, trade, or give away be sure to try and bring it. For one I'm looking for some easier shoes to help me tighten up my form and get the DC0s.

I'm going to be bringing a lot of cool used horseshoes that I got from the local stables to trade/give away. If anybody has any stuff to sell, trade, or give away be sure to try and bring it. For one I'm looking for some easier shoes to help me tighten up my form and get the DC0s.

Give me 5 minutes and I'll get you kinking DC0's ;)

I am looking at flights currently, Dan - I will keep you guys posted. Thanks for helping me out.

I sure hope you can make it out Jedd. Even though it'd be giving me the gift of a hand up in my placing, lol.

Zach,

I'm holding you to the DCo guarentee.

brent

I've kinked em, they're just a bitch for me to get past 90 degrees. I'll pencil in 10 minutes of advice though, in case you have to tell me twice...

Zach,

I'm holding you to the DCo guarentee.

brent

I've kinked em, they're just a bitch for me to get past 90 degrees. I'll pencil in 10 minutes of advice though, in case you have to tell me twice...

From what I've seen of you both, your PLENTY strong enough to take down a DC0. The major reason I am better at shoes than others is I dialed in my technique to near perfect for my body. I'll be happy to help you all out :)

Oh yeah, make sure you guys bring a DC0 or 3 ;) I don't have any left :blush

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

I have a handful of dco's, 1's, and I think some 2's. I have gotten the dc1's to 90 when they stop. I have never been able to kink a dco.

brent

If you can get a DC1 to 90 you should be able to kink a 0 with a little help.

If you can get a DC1 to 90 you should be able to kink a 0 with a little help.

Exactly. And taking it past 90 is probably a technique issue.

Guys,

John and I talked tonight and I think we are just going to tough it out and drive in the dark. Josh and Ben have done it plenty of times as well as others, so we can do it to.

John is being a good grip brother and being patient with me since I should have scheduled this day long ago and did not. It just goes to show the importance of scheduling early.

Thanks to everyone who has offered to pick me up, and stuff. means a lot. Looks like it wont come to that at this time.

Thanks again everybody.

Glad to hear you're coming Jedd! We'll go ahead and book the room.

Very glad to hear you and John can make it.

brent

Sweet Jedd! Even though now I have 2 more guys that will beat the pants off me :rolleyes